UK House Spider

basin79

ArachnoGod
Ah cool. I'm interested in breeding them one day, there's something about raising an animal from baby to adult that I find fascinating. I really want tarantulas one day, but they just aren't an option at the moment so I'm settling for uk natives.

Im still very much a recovering arachnophobe. I'm getting so much better with spiders. I can handle smaller ones now, but anything bigger or more specifically with a bigger body I just can't face touching.
Well first off a MASSIVE congratulations on getting over your fear. That's phenomenal.

The adult female that laid the eggsacks was a rescue. She was living in an outbuilding and the weather was cold a while back. I'd been feeding her but decided I needed to bring her in. I've just brought another one into captivity too.

You can see them on my thread in here.

jdjn13

Arachnopeon
Well first off a MASSIVE congratulations on getting over your fear. That's phenomenal.

The adult female that laid the eggsacks was a rescue. She was living in an outbuilding and the weather was cold a while back. I'd been feeding her but decided I needed to bring her in. I've just brought another one into captivity too.

You can see them on my thread in here.
I'll go and check them out now.

jdjn13

Arachnopeon
The big female that I found produced an egg sack today/during the night. I was looking into her enclosure and thought she looked a lot skinnier. Turns out she's built a sack and hung it from the lid. She's also covered it in soil/dirt.

What do I do from here? How long do I leave it etc.

Joogvanhedel

Arachnoknight
tomorrow you can feed her again, she will need it.. She will make another eggsac soon..

basin79

ArachnoGod
The big female that I found produced an egg sack today/during the night. I was looking into her enclosure and thought she looked a lot skinnier. Turns out she's built a sack and hung it from the lid. She's also covered it in soil/dirt.

What do I do from here? How long do I leave it etc.
One of my captives has just laid her 4th sack. I'm just going to let them hatch and disperse in the house. The air holes will be big enough for the slings to get out.

As above though she'll be very hungry now.

jdjn13

Arachnopeon
One of my captives has just laid her 4th sack. I'm just going to let them hatch and disperse in the house. The air holes will be big enough for the slings to get out.

As above though she'll be very hungry now.
The weather is meant to be good tomorrow so I'll catch her a big juicy fly. My spiders are in my garage at the moment (wife doesn't want them in the house...yet), so I'll do the same and just let them disperse. How long will it take for them to hatch??

basin79

ArachnoGod
The weather is meant to be good tomorrow so I'll catch her a big juicy fly. My spiders are in my garage at the moment (wife doesn't want them in the house...yet), so I'll do the same and just let them disperse. How long will it take for them to hatch??
Unsure to be honest. The first sac was laid a few weeks back so I'd imagine it won't be far off.

My 2 get crickets.

jdjn13

Arachnopeon
Unsure to be honest. The first sac was laid a few weeks back so I'd imagine it won't be far off.

My 2 get crickets.
I'll switch them to crickets in Autumn. While there are so many flies and bugs around I'm just going to feed them those. They would have been eating them anyway had they been free in the garden/garage. I absolutely love the feeding response these guys have. They go mental. One of my little ones comes running whenever I open the lid as if to say..."fly please!"

basin79

ArachnoGod
I'll switch them to crickets in Autumn. While there are so many flies and bugs around I'm just going to feed them those. They would have been eating them anyway had they been free in the garden/garage. I absolutely love the feeding response these guys have. They go mental. One of my little ones comes running whenever I open the lid as if to say..."fly please!"
I live in a town and see the council spraying weedkiller and god knows what so that's why I use crickets. And of course I have them anyway.

I've said it before in a feedimg video that I have alsorts of tarantulas and spiders yet these native house spiders are probably have the best feeding response.

Last edited:

Veles

Arachnobaron
Just pay attention that there arent any chemicals sprayed around where you catch the bugs.

I live in a town and see the council spraying weedkiller and god knows what so that's why I use crickets. And of course I have them anyway.

I've said it before in a feedimg video that I have alsorts of tarantulas and spiders yet these native house spiders are probably have the best feeding response.
Eh, i think nursery web spiders have a bit better response to prey.
This of course is counting the native species only.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Just pay attention that there arent any chemicals sprayed around where you catch the bugs.

Eh, i think nursery web spiders have a bit better response to prey.
This of course is counting the native species only.
I've only got 1 tarantula who comes close to my Eratigena atrica at feeding time and that's my Pamphobeteus sp Costa.

Veles

Arachnobaron
I've only got 1 tarantula who comes close to my Eratigena atrica at feeding time and that's my Pamphobeteus sp Costa.
Most of tarantulas are more lethargic compared to spiders who are active hunters.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Most of tarantulas are more lethargic compared to spiders who are active hunters.
Indeed. Although Eratigena atrica aren't active hunters. They're very much like tarantulas. Only faster.

Veles

Arachnobaron
Indeed. Although Eratigena atrica aren't active hunters. They're very much like tarantulas. Only faster.
I know that, but their body build allows for more speed.
Albeit i prefer grass spiders.