UK Hobby disaster

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
seriously, how do these people think people from countries where tarantulas are native cope.
Exactly!!!! If people would just use their brains sometimes!

Although, it wouldn't be a great idea for an arachnophobe to move to T territory. I had a teacher who lived in Costa Rica for a while and he found a couple MMs in the house. Not to mention the scorpions. Unless he made it up.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Although, it wouldn't be a great idea for an arachnophobe to move to T territory. I had a teacher who lived in Costa Rica for a while and he found a couple MMs in the house. Not to mention the scorpions. Unless he made it up.
Well, while there's always the chance that said teacher 'hyped' a bit the issue - like, for instance, when someone claims that something happened to one of his friends/aquaintance happened to him/her - it's absolutely normal, in certain nations (especially in the rural areas, little towns) to find in the house arachnids and inverts (just think about Asian 'pedes in Vietnam).

Anyway - viewing the issue from the perspective of a bug hating person, or an arachnophobic one - only the size and specie changes, for that they hate as well when they spot here in Europe/the U.S native buggers at home :doctor:

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter

I wanted to go to Costa Rica in high school but the second Great Depression meant no jobs , parents refused to pay for the dirty cheap trip . This second job Depression still is just as bad in Ohio . Economy Makes 1929 look like roaring 20s.

Our real jobless not fake unemployment rate is staggering.
Sorry about chaos in UK people are idiots and think tarantula are deadly?
Wonder if there worried about zombies or space monkeys haha.:borg::pigeon:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Our papers are absolutely disgusting regarding animals.

A harmless 6ft shark spotted in our waters we get something like:

"JAWS IS HERE!!!!!!!"
A massive shark has been spotted off the coast of Devon. The beast appeared & was swimming near terrified bathers. It got within 50m.

False widows?

KILLER FLESH MELTING SPIDERS INVADE!!!!!
Woman left with life changing injuries after the highly venomous spider sunk it's massive fangs into her arm. "Imagine if that was my daughter? She could have died. I'm having to move house and I've been left with this huge (1cm) scar.

I actually read that the lose birdeating tarantulas that eat lizards, snakes and birds in the wild had a POISONOUS venomous bite.

It's sad.
I didn't lived in such a glorious era, sadly, and ain't even a Brit but frankly, I miss how good and brave England (but even the whole Britannia) was back in the day.

Mans were Mans, during the colonial adventures, the travelling societies, people across the seas and whatnot. Not even mentioning the Victorian Era, that still today fascinate millions.

Mans that made basically the modern history, afraid of nothing... today their ancestors freaks out for nothing and sensationalize useless crap: terrible, my best England friend, terrible and despicable :(

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
A few days ago someone caught a 14ft hammerhead while fishing from the shore where we usually go to the beach. There were a few news articles but most of them I saw were congratulating the guy on his trophy catch, I guess that's the Texas sportsman attitude at work.

A few months ago I saw an article in which police raided a man's house and seized his collection of scorpions and tarantulas and donated them to the zoo. The reason cited for seizing his collection was that they "were kept in cramped enclosures with no access to food." The enclosures looked fine to me except they had no water dishes and a few had heat lamps on them, either way that collection is now at the zoo. I was half-tempted to call my local police station and ask if I could take some of them home but I decided against it considering my T's don't have constant access to feeders either.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
A few months ago I saw an article in which police raided a man's house and seized his collection of scorpions and tarantulas and donated them to the zoo. The reason cited for seizing his collection was that they "were kept in cramped enclosures with no access to food." The enclosures looked fine to me except they had no water dishes and a few had heat lamps on them, either way that collection is now at the zoo. I was half-tempted to call my local police station and ask if I could take some of them home but I decided against it considering my T's don't have constant access to feeders either.
And now they're likely being kept in worse conditions unless that zoo has an invert expert

MikeyD

Arachnosquire

He was not kidding. I was visiting a friend in San Jose Costa Rica and we found a scorpion in the light fixture of her apartment. We also found them in the house we rented in Guanacaste province, along with little Tarantula burrows in the soil bank beside the patio, and several Whipspiders on the side of the house at night. That’s actually my profile pic, one if the adult whipspiders I found. Wish i had been able to find some tarantulas outside of their burrows.

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron
He was not kidding. I was visiting a friend in San Jose Costa Rica and we found a scorpion in the light fixture of her apartment. We also found them in the house we rented in Guanacaste province, along with little Tarantula burrows in the soil bank beside the patio, and several Whipspiders on the side of the house at night. That’s actually my profile pic, one if the adult whipspiders I found. Wish i had been able to find some tarantulas outside of their burrows.
I'm glad he didn't kill the Ts. If I remember correctly he and his family would kill the scorpions though.

Stevecooperwa

Arachnopeon
Quick everyone book your airline tickets. Free LP for you. Free LP for you and you and you! LOL.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
A few days ago someone caught a 14ft hammerhead while fishing from the shore where we usually go to the beach. There were a few news articles but most of them I saw were congratulating the guy on his trophy catch, I guess that's the Texas sportsman attitude at work.

Sounds like seizure similar to ww2 Germany , no reason to take away this guys property. Just a. Show of force by brutal police. Inverts die fast if not taken care of I doubt they were not fed , Or watered.
Modern police states are one step away from a banana republic. Or military dictatorships saying it’s a republic.
There are good police just not all of em .
It seems the law is what they say it is.

Last edited:

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Witness saw the “parents” running away? This sounds made up. I bet it’s just the babies

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Some idiot thought breeding them would be lucrative and then dumped a bunch of them after realising that they'd struggle to even give them away because they're practically worthless here.

Also, the media are stupid and the so-called "journalists" for these clickbait sites (like LADBible etc.) are so stupid that they manage to make The Sun look like they at least attempted some research before writing an article. How crap of a journalist must you be to make The Sun look even remotely half-decent?

The powers that be have enough sense when reading that which is why there's no ban.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wouldn't bet on it. Have you seen the absolute shambles that we have in government at the moment?

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Also, the media are stupid and the so-called "journalists" for these clickbait sites (like LADBible etc.) are so stupid that they manage to make The Sun look like they at least attempted some research before writing an article. How crap of a journalist must you be to make The Sun look even remotely half-decent?
It's a joke, the amount of scare mongering false widow articles I see is ridiculous, so when someone is bit by something and ends up with an infection it's always a false widow despite never actually seeing what bit them.

I wouldn't bet on it. Have you seen the absolute shambles that we have in government at the moment?
Truth, I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of ruling came out about tarantulas, simply put the majority of people wouldn't care because they hate spiders.

I do believe someone in the Tory government does keep tarantulas, so that's one saving grace.

Bipolar Spider

Arachnopeon
I don't think invertebrates will ever see the APA light shine upon them. Hopeful yes

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It's a joke, the amount of scare mongering false widow articles I see is ridiculous, so when someone is bit by something and ends up with an infection it's always a false widow despite never actually seeing what bit them.
I'd bet my collection that they're Horse-fly bites, False Widow venom isn't much worse than Psalmopoeus venom in terms of symptoms.

It's the same with America and Brown Recluse spiders, I'm told that doctors over there just blame them when they can't think of anything else.

I do believe someone in the Tory government does keep tarantulas, so that's one saving grace.
Yeah, the current secretary of defence (I think, with all the resignations over Maybot's Brexit debacle it's hard to keep track) has one called Cronus.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
It's the same with America and Brown Recluse spiders, I'm told that doctors over there just blame them when they can't think of anything else.
Some scientists did a study to see how bad people were at identifying brown recluses so they put out a call for everyone to mail them a preserved specimen. Apparently they got submissions from as far north as Canada, where the spider isn't found, and they got so many submissions from California of a new species of spider that they were actually able to publish a paper and describe it.