UK Eratigena atrica

CuriousNatives

Arachnopeon
not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have seen a large number of what I believe to be giant house spiders (could well be wrong :)) living in my garage and always believed they were cannibalistic and solitary but today I checked after seeing a group of 5 sharing a web last week and each of them are still there. My question is this unusual or when the food is plentiful is this quite common? they range in sizes of around 1"- 2" (not including legs) and both sexes are present.

Nosiris

Arachnosquire
If the environment is perfect and as you say, the food plentiful Eratigena (and indeed Tegenaria) that I have observed in the UK will tolerate each others presence. That doesn't mean there won't be the occasional murder when you're not looking though...

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
not sure if this is the right place to post this but I have seen a large number of what I believe to be giant house spiders (could well be wrong :)) living in my garage and always believed they were cannibalistic and solitary but today I checked after seeing a group of 5 sharing a web last week and each of them are still there. My question is this unusual or when the food is plentiful is this quite common? they range in sizes of around 1"- 2" (not including legs) and both sexes are present.
Interesting! Any episodes of cannibalism yet?

CuriousNatives

Arachnopeon
no I'm not keeping them, they are living in my garage. I haven't checked yet today but last night all five were still alive and kicking. I'm not sure what the arrangement is tbh there has to be some sort of hierarchy and responsibilities surely? like how do they sort out the feeding regime/web repairs etc? xD

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
no I'm not keeping them, they are living in my garage. I haven't checked yet today but last night all five were still alive and kicking. I'm not sure what the arrangement is tbh there has to be some sort of hierarchy and responsibilities surely? like how do they sort out the feeding regime/web repairs etc? xD
Eratigena are not social animals, so they don't have a complex social structure. If anything, they merely tolerate others nearby (as long as prey is abundant).

CuriousNatives

Arachnopeon
Just came back in from the garage and all five seem fine. They aren't even concerned with touching each other as they show no signs of aggression. I would have been surprised if they did Ungoliant but its slightly more interesting now. I understand that they would tolerate others near them but to actually share a web I believe there must be some sort of understanding. Do you happen to know how this situation came to be?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I understand that they would tolerate others near them but to actually share a web I believe there must be some sort of understanding. Do you happen to know how this situation came to be?
They each built a web in such close proximity that the webs are touching each other.

I see lots of Kukulcania hibernalis webs like this. Outside, I even find Nephila clavipes webs touching each other. Sometimes Leucauge venusta builds webs attached to Nephila clavipes webs.