Uhm What Is My Curly Hair Doing!?

boina

Lady of the mites
Congratulation, you are about to become a spider granddad. Yes, that is an egg sac, no doubt about it. Either your spider was wild caught or someone must have paired her, or it's a dud sac - that's always a possibility, too.

What do you do? Well, right at this moment, absolutely nothing. Your spider most definitely knows better how do be a spider mom than you do. If it is a dud the spider may eat it at some point. If it is viable you can still leave it with mom for about 4 weeks or so, so you have 4 more weeks at least to figure out how to build a baby spider incubator (it's easy, search around here) and raise spiderlings.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Definitely an eggsac. Where did you get this girl from? I would get in touch with whoever sold her to you to see if she was paired since her last molt, or if she was wild-caught. It could very well be a phantom sac

Edit: @boina beat me to it

Edit again: I was wrong about it being illegal to have wild-caught Brachypelma species (see later posts in this thread), so I removed my statement. Carry on

Last edited:

vmig95

Arachnopeon
Congratulation, you are about to become a spider granddad. Yes, that is an egg sac, no doubt about it. Either your spider was wild caught or someone must have paired her, or it's a dud sac - that's always a possibility, too.

What do you do? Well, right at this moment, absolutely nothing. Your spider most definitely knows better how do be a spider mom than you do. If it is a dud the spider may eat it at some point. If it is viable you can still leave it with mom for about 4 weeks or so, so you have 4 more weeks at least to figure out how to build a baby spider incubator (it's easy, search around here) and raise spiderlings.
Seems not too difficult! She just laid them i am assuming yesterday, March 15!

vmig95

Arachnopeon
Definitely an eggsac. Where did you get this girl from? It shouldn't be a wild caught specimen (and if it is, it is very illegal), so I would get in touch with whoever sold her to you to see if she was paired since her last molt. It could very well be a phantom sac

I got her at an exotic pet store! She has been very nervous and skiddish and i found that peculiar..does that have to do with being gravid?

Leila

Arachnobaron
I got her at an exotic pet store! She has been very nervous and skiddish and i found that peculiar..does that have to do with being gravid?
I'm not trying to be a 'Negative Nancy,' lol; but do keep in mind that there is a definite possibility that that egg sac is a dud, also known as a 'phantom sac.' Essentially, it might be an infertile egg sac; spiders do sometimes produce these.

I had a B. albopilosum produce an infertile egg sac about a year ago.

Having offered the above info, I beg you to treat that egg sac as though it is indeed fertile. It very well might be. :)
I wish the best for your B. albo and her little white snowball. :cat:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Actually @vmig95 should and still make sure that the females enclosure does not completely dry out and that his spider has plenty of heat, 80’s degrees is suitable at all times. Leave her be, wait for at least 35 days before pulling the sac from its mother. During those 35 day period yes I agree look into a type of incubator in the meantime.

Last edited:

vmig95

Arachnopeon
I'm not trying to be a 'Negative Nancy,' lol; but do keep in mind that there is a definite possibility that that egg sac is a dud, also known as a 'phantom sac.' Essentially, it might be an infertile egg sac; spiders do sometimes produce these.

I had a B. albopilosum produce an infertile egg sac about a year ago.

Having offered the above info, I beg you to treat that egg sac as though it is indeed fertile. It very well might be. :)
I wish the best for your B. albo and her little white snowball. :cat:
Her little white snowball!!! Thats adorable

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely an eggsac. Where did you get this girl from? It shouldn't be a wild caught specimen (and if it is, it is very illegal), so I would get in touch with whoever sold her to you to see if she was paired since her last molt. It could very well be a phantom sac

These wild caught albopilosum that are being exported isn’t illegal.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Just a heads up...if it IS a viable sack, get ready for ~500+ eggs/slings. I'd contact the petstore, sometimes you can get a good deal like trading the slings for something else.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Read the title and thought, surely that's a question for a doctor.

But no. Congratulations!!!!!!

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
What is my curly hair doing!? Is this an egg sack?? If it is, where do I go from here?!? I am a beginner!! She is noticibly thinner than last night. She laid a bedding of web, i thought it was for a molt. Now there is this!
Congrats on becoming a spider daddy, but I’m sorry it had to happen so soon since you are a beginner

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
CITES isn't an import/export ban. It is a regulation that (roughly) requires that all imported and exported animals are accounted for so they can monitor the situation in the wild.

https://www.cites.org/eng/disc/what.php
I think I misunderstood quite a bit. :sorry: I thought all Brachypelma species were protected under Appendix I of CITES (which only issues permits for non-commercial, scientific purposes). They are actually listed under Appendix II, which simply requires a permit for export.

Am I also unaware of a different law protecting certain other Brachypelma species from being imported/exported for commercial trade? I thought B. hamorii and perhaps a few others were never allowed to be sold as wild-caught?

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think I misunderstood quite a bit. :sorry: I thought all Brachypelma species were protected under Appendix I of CITES (which only issues permits for non-commercial, scientific purposes). They are actually listed under Appendix II, which simply requires a permit for export.

Am I also unaware of a different law protecting certain other Brachypelma species from being imported/exported for commercial trade? I thought B. hamorii and perhaps a few others were never allowed to be sold as wild-caught?
in Mexico it is forbidden to export wild caught Brachypelma species. Sellers with the legit export license can sell captive born Brachypelma species. However how are these people in Mexico really know what’s captive born vs wild caught????

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
in Mexico it is forbidden to export wild caught Brachypelma species. Sellers with the legit export license can sell captive born Brachypelma species. However how are these people in Mexico really know what’s captive born vs wild caught????
So I must have been mistaking Mexico's laws as a universal law regarding Brachypelmas. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
CITES is a voluntary organization meaning a country does not have to join. Even if they do adopt CITES they get to appoint there own people within their country to look at how import/export effect the wild stock, environment, and the local economy.
This means they can decide how many of each species on the list can or cannot be exported. Many 3rd world countries people may collect for export as an only means of supporting their family.

vmig95

Arachnopeon
Actually @vmig95 should and still make sure that the females enclosure does not completely dry out and that his spider has plenty of heat, 80’s degrees is suitable at all times. Leave her be, wait for at least 35 days before pulling the sac from its mother. During those 35 day period yes I agree look into a type of incubator in the meantime.
Thanks!! I would placing a hermit crab heater in a corner to the enclosure suffice for bringing up the heat?

vmig95

Arachnopeon
Just a heads up...if it IS a viable sack, get ready for ~500+ eggs/slings. I'd contact the petstore, sometimes you can get a good deal like trading the slings for something else.
Contacted a petstore, I would love to sell them myself but i dont have the clientel!! They may be able to take them and either give me some cash or store credit! I mean, i wasnt expecting this so maybe i could get the birdeater or day gecko ive been wanting