Uhh, tarantula and snake cohabitation?!

fttwinmomma

Arachnopeon
Ok maybe I'm missing something here. But I checked out Craigslist today(since I've seen so many posts from people hitting it big with tarantulas) and the only ad I found was some woman trying to sell her husband's snake and tarantula that live in the same tank! From the bad quality pics it looks like a Rosie I'm guessing. But just had to post and see if anyone has come across this before??

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Ok maybe I'm missing something here. But I checked out Craigslist today(since I've seen so many posts from people hitting it big with tarantulas) and the only ad I found was some woman trying to sell her husband's snake and tarantula that live in the same tank! From the bad quality pics it looks like a Rosie I'm guessing. But just had to post and see if anyone has come across this before??
thats is very interesting indeed. can you post the link I am would like to see this ad

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Nah, it doesn't. There are all kinds of places in and around KC you could be! (I was born in Independence and lived in quite a few different spot in the area before moving south.)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
That is some crazy stuff. Hey if it works... I bet eventually though that tarantula becomes food. Id love to have that orange corn snake, you should buy it and ship it to me :)

fttwinmomma

Arachnopeon
That is some crazy stuff. Hey if it works... I bet eventually though that tarantula becomes food. Id love to have that orange corn snake, you should buy it and ship it to me :)
Ha! Sure! I actually have no idea where knob noster is though. .

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
I suppose since they both has slow metabolism and well fed then I guess it worked out. I really want to know what the guys reasoning for this.

scavare

Arachnopeon
What on earth would possess that guy to put the two in the same tank... that poor tarantula will probably become food if the snake ever gets hungry.

cmack91

Arachnopeon
There is no way that corn snake is going to eat the tarantula. Corns are strictly carnivorous. They could definitly kill eachother though if one or both felt the need to act defensively.

Its kind of mind boggling that the guy thought to put them together. I dont understand how that idea could ever make sense.

nolan

Arachnopeon
I am assuming the only way it works is that the snake doesn't realize the T is there due to the fact that it senses no heat from therefore not trigger a feeding response

bravesfan

Arachnosquire
I am assuming the only way it works is that the snake doesn't realize the T is there due to the fact that it senses no heat from therefore not trigger a feeding response
Yeah that is was I was thinking. I have owned a few snakes and have always been under the impression they will only eat warm blooded prey because their primary way of hunting is thru sensing heat.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Good thought nolan! Roses tend to be pretty shy so it probably just avoids the snake. Some corns are shy while others are aggressive. Maybe the snake just doesn't care at all about the spider. It's not food nor a competitor for food. The spider isn't a snake so you can throw out any territorial problems too. Since roses usually just sit there... and sit there... and sit there and a fat healthy snake doesn't do much more than that either I can see how it works. That tank's not tiny or anything either. There's multiple hiding spots as well. I don't think the snake will kill the spider. If it was going to to out of aggression or defensiveness I'd imagine it would already be dead. I'd like to take that tank myself and see what happens.

spiderengineer

Arachnoangel
Good thought nolan! Roses tend to be pretty shy so it probably just avoids the snake. Some corns are shy while others are aggressive. Maybe the snake just doesn't care at all about the spider. It's not food nor a competitor for food. The spider isn't a snake so you can throw out any territorial problems too. Since roses usually just sit there... and sit there... and sit there and a fat healthy snake doesn't do much more than that either I can see how it works. That tank's not tiny or anything either. There's multiple hiding spots as well. I don't think the snake will kill the spider. If it was going to to out of aggression or defensiveness I'd imagine it would already be dead. I'd like to take that tank myself and see what happens.
thats what I was wondering everybody was surprise the snake hadn't eaten it yet, but I was thinking would the rose ever try and eat the snake. if it was a theraphosa or an lp then I wouldn't be a suprise, but what about a rose

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Works for me lol. Although your probably alot closer than me (ohio) lol.
It's a beaut! I can't afford to but I'd love to keep some corns/kings/milk snakes. Mainly corns. So many beautiful colors and patterns. We have a tiny baby corn that's pretty much the same color as this one but it's striped and spotted. Mean as hell though so I don't think I'd get it anyway. We get some super calm corns in though sometimes. Unfortunately, besides being poor my mother in law is deathly afraid of snakes so as long as we live here I can't get any!

---------- Post added 03-05-2013 at 11:44 PM ----------

thats what I was wondering everybody was surprise the snake hadn't eaten it yet, but I was thinking would the rose ever try and eat the snake. if it was a theraphosa or an lp then I wouldn't be a suprise, but what about a rose
Maybe the baby king snake! My rose is scared of large crickets! I think it would crap its pants if it met a decent size corn snake :D

Scuttlebutt

Arachnosquire
If it were a larger T maybe, but I think the rosie is too small to even try. Thanks to that staircase rock ornament in the third and second to last pictures you can see their comparative sizes well.

An interesting find no doubt. The only thing on craigslist in my area is a rosea for $115!

nolan

Arachnopeon
Probably 115 cause thats what the pet store charged them for that rare ultra desirable species lol

fttwinmomma

Arachnopeon
Just wow lol
Right! That's what I thought when I saw it. They have to be well fed is my thought. I'm not much of a snake person(nothing against them they just seem to hard to care for) but I hope someone knowledgeable gets them. . I would be interested to see what the original owner had to say as well. And I'm hoping the Rosie stays safe