Ugliest Pokie

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought this as P. formosa about 6 mos ago, it looked verry muted and faded and the seller told me he thought it was W/C, it had a strange black discoloration across the top of the abdomen I thought was prob. some sort of scar since it was W/C I figured anything could have happened and it would lessen as the spider continued to molt and grow.

I decided not to sell this individual till it molted out and was "pretty" as a P formosa should be but also found myself thinking that it realy didnt look much like other P formosa I had seen, even individuls badly needing a molt, I attributed this to being W/C as well and sat back and waited for a shed.

About a week ago she finealy shed and to my suprise she looks just like she did before the molt, even the discolored "Scar" on her abdomen changed little if at all, the only real change I can note is the front occular area took on a blueish color that was not there before and this again I have not noticed in other P formosa I have kept or raised.

Here are some pix of my ugly little girl, being her dad I still love her but I can see why even a small, awkward male missing a palp might find himself throwing this one out of bed, or dropping a leg to get out of there the next morning, anyone else see this kind of coloration on P formosa or any pokie for that matter? what about the discoloration on the abdomen? it almost looks as if the coloration I'd expect from a formosa is peeking out through a rip in her pale faded cuticle, Pie -Bald kinda.

These are pix from about a week post molt when she should be just dripping w/ formosalicious beauty, clearly she is not, the molt was complete and the shed skin came off very easily and quickly yet she seriously did not brighten or hardly change appearance at all, I have never seen a pokie of any type as muted as she is directly following a problem free molt, I can only assume she is just plain ugly, once she gets fed up and "fat" again I think dates for this one will be few and far between, she realy is the "ugliest Pokie I have ever seen!!"

Here she is

DSC00004.JPG

The discoloration on the abdomen does not stick out like a bump, if you run your finger over it it is as smooth as the rest of the abdomen, eyes closed, by feel, you would not know it was there........

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I personally do not find that spider ugly at all. In fact, I prefer that kind of cryptic coloration to the bright and flashy coloration on other Poecilotheria species.

upwith inverts!

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think it looks kinda cool. You should breed her, and see if the babies are a similar color. I'm sure a ton of people would pay handsomely for a color morph pokie.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think it looks kinda cool. You should breed her, and see if the babies are a similar color. I'm sure a ton of people would pay handsomely for a color morph pokie.
Why would you breed something especially if you're not even sure what species it really is?

reptist, I'd try to send some photos to Rick West or some other well-known arachnologists and see if they can offer any assistance. That's a pretty cool-looking spider (in my opinion) and I'd be quite interested to know if there's anything special about her.

Thanks for sharing! :)

--Joe

WS6Lethal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't think it's ugly. Kind of like Cindy Crawford's mole, it just makes it unique. :)

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Will Do.

I'll send out some pix, I always seem to end up w/ more questions than answers when trying to confirm anything by pix but the old molt got a cage set on it and is quite incomplete and did not show alot of the pale faded patterning you can see in the pix just from how it dried, I have the pokie poster made by R Gallion, UK, and she doesnt match it either, except venteraly, which she matches perfectly, I guess ugly isnt the best word for her apearance unique might be nicer but she realy doesnt look as good as a fresh molt "normal" P. formosa IMO, just one of those odd T's that come through from time to time when your stock changes as frequently as mine seems to, they are intresting though and keep taxonomy today in perspective as well, if I get any new info I'll post it up here, PEACE, B.

John Kanker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi.

If the ventral pattern match's P. formosa then you have a light coloured P. formosa hunt around and you will see others with muted markings even post moult.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have seen other P. formosa with light (and even lighter) coloration like this one. There are darker ones than our normal hobby coloration as well.

One thing to keep in mind... some our captive populations are often based on a limited number of original WC specimens... or are generally collected from a certain area. Our hobby populations of some species may not show the full degree of variation that is seen throughout a given species natural range.

Another very light P. formosa.

Eric

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, and someone correct me if I'm just too blind to see it, but the carapace doesn't seem to look right near the eyes, when compared to the example in Phalagorn's Pokie carapace identification thread, here:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=21640
I don't know my pokies as well as I would like to yet, but after looking at the pattern above and looking at Phalagorn's Pokie carapace identification thread I think they match. My question would be can we rule out P. striata who has a similar carapace. I think I see why it is not a P. regalis.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My question would be can we rule out P. striata who has a similar carapace.
Yes, quite easily. Forget the carapace and look at the ventral leg banding. It's a perfect match for P. formosa.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
in california, USA we have cryptic myg species that have females that are morphologically indistinguishable, but very different males and DNA

i wouldn't be that surprised if stuff like this would prove out to be something similar sometimes

real neat looking spider

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, quite easily. Forget the carapace and look at the ventral leg banding. It's a perfect match for P. formosa.
So I know what to look for on the P. regalis ventrally but Im not sure what Im looking for on the P. striata. I found ventral shots of both the P. regalis and the P. formosa but I am having a hard time locating a ventral shot of the striata. Ive been looking through the genus picture thread but there are 150 pages to go through.

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lol i think the T is very pretty. . .if u dont want it then I wud be happy to take it off your hands lol :)

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you Zoltan you are right that is also a very good link :clap: in fact I think I like it a little better due to less zooming in.