UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
My G. pulchripes has been buried for SO LONG! Since the end of August she's had dirt pilled up in front of her burrow and against the rear window so observation is impossible. I miss her! I really hope this behavior isn't gonna be around forever.

Let's do some brainstorming. Is there any way to structure the enclosure to discourage hiding constantly? Aside from making it small. She's in an enclosure that's plenty small enough.

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
lol, since August. That's cute. I've got an Aphonopelma hentzi that was under ground for 8 months, up for one meal, and has been under since June/July with no signs of changing soon.

Dunno if there's really a way to encourage them to stay topside. They're gonna do what they want. That said, How big is yours? Cause I've got a G. pulchripes that is always out. It's about 2 in DLS. I don't think it know what the word "hide" means. It had a burrow that it let collapse some months ago, and that was it. It needs to molt, it just flops over where it wants and goes for it. I'd much prefer it it acted more "normal" and tucked itself away now and again, but it was like that even as a sling.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
lol, since August. That's cute. I've got an Aphonopelma hentzi that was under ground for 8 months, up for one meal, and has been under since June/July with no signs of changing soon.

Dunno if there's really a way to encourage them to stay topside. They're gonna do what they want. That said, How big is yours? Cause I've got a G. pulchripes that is always out. It's about 2 in DLS. I don't think it know what the word "hide" means. It had a burrow that it let collapse some months ago, and that was it. It needs to molt, it just flops over where it wants and goes for it. I'd much prefer it it acted more "normal" and tucked itself away now and again, but it was like that even as a sling.
Mine is 3.5 inches. She used to never hide, but since her last molt in July she's been an absolute fossorial. Also, she's my only tarantula. So even though she hasn't been hiding for as long as other ones, she's my ONLY one. I don't have any Pokies to look at while she's burrowed.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I had some visitors over yesterday and one, looking into an enclosure asked, "What's in that one?" I answered, " I think a K. Brunnipes, but it's been so long I may be mistaken."

Varla Einin

Arachnopeon
My G. pulchripes has been buried for SO LONG! Since the end of August she's had dirt pilled up in front of her burrow and against the rear window so observation is impossible. I miss her! I really hope this behavior isn't gonna be around forever.

Let's do some brainstorming. Is there any way to structure the enclosure to discourage hiding constantly? Aside from making it small. She's in an enclosure that's plenty small enough.
Hehe, my G. pulchra has been hiding since September. I feel your pain! However reading these forms/ doing research has taught me this is normal for Grammostola and they can be locked away for a very long time :<

I dont think you can discourage hiding, plus you want your T be able to retreat to a place they feel safe ^^ I have seen some enclosures that cover part of the glass with a pannel so the T thinks its in a dark place, however keepers can peel the panel away to reveal the T.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Well uh, others have said it but I'm gunna say it again... Get another one :lurking:

Maybe your mum will be more open to a dwarf species?

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
So funny the different experiences people have with their T’s. I only have two (GBB and Versicolor), but they are both always out in the open despite having places they could hide. Guess it’s luck of the draw.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
So funny the different experiences people have with their T’s. I only have two (GBB and Versicolor), but they are both always out in the open despite having places they could hide. Guess it’s luck of the draw.
Well, you have species that aren’t known for hiding away for long periods;)

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Well, you have species that aren’t known for hiding away for long periods;)
Almost like I planned it that way...

Yeah, I did consider propensity to hide in my decision choice, and I realize they are not the typical hidey pets. I guess I meant that in general the same species can opt to be more visible or less depending on personality. Comparing mine to the Pulchra isn’t really fair you’re right.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Mine is 3.5 inches. She used to never hide, but since her last molt in July she's been an absolute fossorial. Also, she's my only tarantula. So even though she hasn't been hiding for as long as other ones, she's my ONLY one. I don't have any Pokies to look at while she's burrowed.
ONLY ONE T!? You must be suffering from severe tarantula underdose. Your doctor will most likely prescribe 3 or 4 more T's asap.

Shannon1978

Arachnopeon
I just bought an AF G. pulchripes about 10 days ago. The day after we got her home she did the exact same thing...closed up both sides of her hide and hung the "leave me the f*** alone" sign up. Lol.

The Fiance keeps wanting me to invade and see if she's ok. I keep trying to explain that it's pretty normal behavior and it could be weeks or even months before we see her again.

My solution has been to find more T's to even out the odds of always being able to see at least one. Lol

starnaito

Arachnosquire
Here's my recent setup for my G. pulchripes that likes to hide. I put the cork bark against the side. The container he's in is a bit foggy (not crystal clear acrylic) so as long as I keep it turned away from the light, he doesn't block it off. This way I can get a decent look at him when I need to. (Just found out today that he's in premolt!)
IMG_20170824_095045.jpg