Types of possible spiders?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I have never really considered myself a T keeper. I have no real desire to hold any spiders I would keep if not necessary, keeping them for the love of keeping them would be what I wanted. I don't want something that would be dangerous for me or my animals, to keep. But I do want something different. Any thoughts?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I think trapdoors would interest me a lot, and I have always had a huge soft spot for wolf spiders since I was a little girl.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I think trapdoors would interest me a lot, and I have always had a huge soft spot for wolf spiders since I was a little girl.
Yeah most are pretty interested in trapdoors but they are pretty much pet substrate lol. Unless you get lucky and it makes its burrow against the side of the enclosure a trapdoor would be pretty boring lol. I still want one anyways since practically my whole collection consists of pet holes, sand, dirt, bark, or leaves lol.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I don't think I could ever get bored just because I don't see them much. Every now and then I would catch different behaviors and that's honestly all I need. I have had huge colonies of hermit crabs, I have an entire bin of isopods. I am just a generally strange person and have been ever since I started keeping animals. Even if I have hamsters who don't do well with humans, as long as I can change their cages and get them looked at by a vet they will be left alone other than feeding and general care. I don't ask anything from my animals other than what they want ^^

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I have no real desire to hold any spiders I would keep if not necessary, keeping them for the love of keeping them would be what I wanted. I don't want something that would be dangerous for me or my animals, to keep.
Most of the spiders you find around you are easy to keep. I don't recommend orbweavers (Araneidae), however, as they need a lot of space to build a proper orb web.

Cobweb spiders (Theridiidae but not Latrodectus, as they are medically significant), crevice weavers (Kukulcania), and funnel weavers (Agelenidae) are very easy if you want some web builders. I particularly enjoy keeping Kukulcania, as they live for a long time.

Among the hunting spiders, jumping spiders (Salticidae) are the most engaging, but wolf spiders (Lycosidae), nursery web spiders (Pisauridae), and lynx spiders (Oxyopidae) can also be kept.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Jumping spiders. I absolutely adore mine. They unfortunately don't live long compared to tarantulas but you get an intelligent and curious spider in return.

Here's a couple of videos of mine.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I would love to keep a certain species of jumper but if I am correct they are a protected species and live in australia so yeah... >.<

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I would love to keep a certain species of jumper but if I am correct they are a protected species and live in australia so yeah... >.<
There are many beautiful jumping spiders that are native to the U.S.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It's not the beauty I want.... I want the intelligence. I would love to have a spider from the Portia genus. But I am pretty sure they are protected and also feeding them would be a pain in captivity (they are only spider eaters). And I would have to make a rather large cage for a jumping spider for them because of their intelligence to make them entertained.

The wolf

Arachnolord
Jumping spiders. I absolutely adore mine. They unfortunately don't live long compared to tarantulas but you get an intelligent and curious spider in return.

Where do you get your girls from

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Yeah most are pretty interested in trapdoors but they are pretty much pet substrate lol. Unless you get lucky and it makes its burrow against the side of the enclosure a trapdoor would be pretty boring lol. I still want one anyways since practically my whole collection consists of pet holes, sand, dirt, bark, or leaves lol.
I want one because my interest in spiders first started when I was in elementary school reading 15 page long books on specific species of spiders and trapdoor spiders were some of the first spiders i ever read about. I actauly first heard of wolfers from those books and that's what inspired me one night while I was bored to search "pet wolf spider" on youtube and I opened a pandoras box of spiders. I also want a black widow because being told not to go anywhere near them when I grew up in California caused me to have a great interest in them that caused me to start reading those books and that interest has only grown stronger over the years

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron

Hey man I like your accent where is it from

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
It's not the beauty I want.... I want the intelligence. I would love to have a spider from the Portia genus. But I am pretty sure they are protected and also feeding them would be a pain in captivity (they are only spider eaters). And I would have to make a rather large cage for a jumping spider for them because of their intelligence to make them entertained.
Phidippus regus or phidippus audux are very intelligent jumpers that live in the US pretty much everywhere

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
Aye. It was gutting.
also would you consider doing a full collection tour or like a video where you feed all your inverts in one video like some other T youtubers have in the past i think it would be really cool