Two Spiders, What Are They?

SpontaniousCombustion

Arachnopeon
7A6F6E7D-F642-4699-B79D-BA813B68436D.jpeg 838F16E3-7E1C-40E1-B7EA-62E1A9149E8D.jpeg BB7BF1FF-A315-4F6E-B667-E88C246AC369.jpeg Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post. I have two spiders I was hoping that someone could assist me in identifying.

This first one has lived on the garden fence for a long time now, I’m curious as to what she (I believe it’s a female) is. Is she anything to worry about?

This second spider I find at work all of the time, they like to hide inside of our scaffold fittings. Some are small and some are larger than others. I’m also curious as to what these are too.

Thank you, I have more photos of each.

Amygdalia balfouri

Arachnopeon
Hi

I think the second could be a Steatoda nobilis. The first also seems to be the same genus (Steatoda) but a different species. Maybe you can take some better pictures with a better look at the abdomen of the first.

Amy

SpontaniousCombustion

Arachnopeon
Awesome! Thank you! I will try and get a picture of her tonight she only comes out at night time at about 6pm.

Also, are they something to be worried about?
Hi

I think the second could be a Steatoda nobilis. The first also seems to be the same genus (Steatoda) but a different species. Maybe you can take some better pictures with a better look at the abdomen of the first.

Amy

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Also, are they something to be worried about?
Yes. Both are subject to abuse from humans. On a serious note, neither pose a significant health risk though a good chomp from a Steatoda has been known to make people feel sick for a day or two.
Note the abdomen on the steatoda in profile. It is unique. That and in a cobweb, an easy way to ID one.

Last edited:

SpontaniousCombustion

Arachnopeon
Walnut orb weaver and s.nobilis
Thank you very much I am glad these spiders were able to be identified!

Yes. Both are subject to abuse from humans. On a serious note, neither pose a significant health risk though a good chomp from a Steatoda has been known to make people feel sick for a day or two.
Note the abdomen on the steatoda in profile. It is unique. That and in a cobweb, an easy way to ID one.
Awesome! Thank you very much for the information, I am working around the S.Nobilis on a daily basis as they land on our face and hands as we undo the nut on the scaffold fittings, I will try to avoid them as much as possible now. I usually end up walking them to an area where there is no danger so they can nest somewhere else.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to identify these spiders, I really appreciate it!