Turning to the dark side...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So here we go. after about 7 years of keeping new world T's, I am taking the plunge and getting getting my first OW. (Finally convinced the wife)
I've decided on an OBT. If any of you have any tips or tricks, I would love to know.
You could pick a better OW for a starter, something from Ceratogyrus genus

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have housed in a screen top enclosure so i have taped borders around the undersides to help stop the specimens from climbing.

View attachment 246224
So is the tape that someone mentioned up top able to prevent a T from climbing???

you'd never have to worry about an escape
Never say never when it comes to mother nature.

Wether you get a spiderling,juv or adult always expect the unexpected. This species is very fast and they spook easy, will bolt. Always have catch cups at the ready.
I agree on that. I had an AF OBT years ago, she was not too bad GENERALLY. However, she spooked as easy as a Blue Fang, and of course as fast.

I had a couple others, and they were so wired/spazzy. I love their color, but their eratic behavior was enough that I couldn't be bothered anymore. For me, it wasn't worth the hassle hah.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
So is the tape that someone mentioned up top able to prevent a T from climbing???
No its not. I bashed that together as an example. I should have been more clear. Only use the good smooth packing tape and apply as neat as possible. I have been doing this for years since I had an LP lose 2 legs. Haven't seen a T on screen top since :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
No its not. I bashed that together as an example. I should have been more clear. Only use the good smooth packing tape and apply as neat as possible. I have been doing this for years since I had an LP lose 2 legs. Haven't seen a T on screen top since :)
I didn't think it was, but Moak said something, and I wanted it clear for others in the future, and myself now hah.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
That guy replied to you saying it worked like a charm stopping his G pulchripes from climbing

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
:astonished:

Why? I get breeding projects...but OBT...man its about as easy to breed as amything, meaning lots of people breed them...as a result, the market is always flooded, making them virtually worthless financially....and that also makes moving large amounts quite difficult, even at pennies on the dollar.

How mant are you hoping to produce with 23 specimens?

You could have a significant OBT project with one mm and a pair of females.

Good luck...but i dont get it...:D

Long story short a friend of mine bred them awhile back and offered me a nice deal on bulk. If I pulled off one egg sac with a pairing I would be more than happy with that. The rest I will end up either trading or selling in time. Trust me, I have zero interest in trying to breed all of those guys. That would be insanity, lol.

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
They aren't that bad at all, considering everything. They don't deserve all of those 'black legends' upon their legs.

Venom potency is brutal, ok, but in general they bolt in their 'safe haven' instead of "fight", especially if you provide to those a lot of (bone dry, btw, for juve/adults specimens) substrate and a good piece of cork bark (or something) for hide.

Genus Ceratogyrus (btw amazing 'Baboons', hands down) are defensive as well, it's not that 'OBT' are "worst" like everytime we hear: venom potency, is worst.
And this detail is to consider, sure.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Ok @Leila I'll clarify since you asked... I've had a Pamph fang inside my right index finger, I got clamped on by an H.Gigas too, both sucked... Gigas bite was worse but other than the cramps from the Gigas for about a week on and off there's no difference... Don't let them bite you OW or NW lolings

Leila

Arachnobaron
Ok @Leila I'll clarify since you asked... I've had a Pamph fang inside my right index finger, I got clamped on by an H.Gigas too, both sucked... Gigas bite was worse but other than the cramps from the Gigas for about a week on and off there's no difference... Don't let them bite you OW or NW lolings
Ouuuchhhh! :wideyed: I need you to tell me these stories at some point. Lol

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Ouuuchhhh! :wideyed: I need you to tell me these stories at some point. Lol
Ok, when I got my True Rusty Baboon I was over the moon.... She never seemed aggressive at all... So in my infinite wisdom I coaxed her onto my hand to get a show off pic... Haha she clamped onto my hand and I somehow resisted throwing and flapping around... I knew her fangs were inside my hand but it wasn't painful.. I had to pinch grab her off and I defo got bit another two three times in the process.. I have no idea how much venom was injected but the cramps are a sure fire sign I got pumped lol Here's my bites

cold blood

Staff member
Ok, when I got my True Rusty Baboon I was over the moon.... She never seemed aggressive at all... So in my infinite wisdom I coaxed her onto my hand to get a show off pic... Haha she clamped onto my hand and I somehow resisted throwing and flapping around... I knew her fangs were inside my hand but it wasn't painful.. I had to pinch grab her off and I defo got bit another two three times in the process.. I have no idea how much venom was injected but the cramps are a sure fire sign I got pumped lol Here's my bites
Rusty baboon:bookworm:

does that have a real name?

And yes, the showoff pics produce plenty of bites...few will admit it happened to them or will tell a story of how it wasnt a showoff move...but it still is. Lesson learned my friend...that looks like it was pretty uncomfortable.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Rusty baboon:bookworm:

does that have a real name?

And yes, the showoff pics produce plenty of bites...few will admit it happened to them or will tell a story of how it wasnt a showoff move...but it still is. Lesson learned my friend...that looks like it was pretty uncomfortable.
Hysterocrates Gigas (true) lol... I still get the urge to handle some, I know I shouldn't but old worlds should NEVER be handled no matter how calm they seem... I agree that most bites like this are through trying to show off I've learned the hard way...:embarrassed: As for pain, 5mins after bite it felt like a fat dude was standing on my hand, extreme pressure but it wasn't like a sting as some report... I was sick a few times but everything was ok after about an hour, cramps on and off for around a week, I wouldn't recommend it lol...