Turning to the dark side...

AshS

Arachnosquire
So here we go. after about 7 years of keeping new world T's, I am taking the plunge and getting getting my first OW. (Finally convinced the wife)
I've decided on an OBT. If any of you have any tips or tricks, I would love to know.

Phases

Arachnoknight
That's quite a starter OW!

Honestly man I don't have a problem with OW or see what all the hoopla is all about. You want to be more careful, of course, but keep your cool and don't try to handle. Be in a protected area during the transfer, I've got to where I do some inside a bigger bin.

But anyway in my, yes limited, experience, I have had zero problems with my 6. Lorraine (horned baboon) scolded me once for breathing to close to her, and one other time for turning on a light, heh, but otherwise they're.. just tarantulas - that you want to make sure you're always on your toes for. :)

Phases

Arachnoknight
Oh, I'm always sure to test temperament before trying a transfer. It doesn't take much, slide in a wooden skewer and nudge a little. Does it hunker down? Bolt? Attack it?

Not that it couldn't change at a moments notice, but I find it helps me get started.

Watch for speed. That's the biggest thing I think. In fact there's a thread on here now with a loose T, and I have a video embarrassingly enough posted somewhere of an H.mac I believe running up my arm ;)

Last edited:

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I too also love the obt. It was my first tarantula 9 years ago. I couldn't agree more to keep it in a bigger terrarium than your new worlds you currently have. Giving you more room to work with while giving the tarantula more room to feel secure. You can provide a hide if you want to but I personally like the pet hole so my second obt I just let it make burrows throughout its enclosure and I like that better than a hide. When the time comes to do any mantinence I drop a roach in once the tarantula grabs the roach and is busy with that I remove boluses and add water to dish etc. The lid is never off for more than a few minutes and its tongs only when doing anything inside enclosure. Doing this has kept me free from bites and close calls. I treat this tarantula with a lot of respect just as my other old worlds and I have had zero issues. Good luck you can do this and enjoy your beautiful tarantula.

Attachments

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I keep the substrate bone dry and give plenty of it so they can create there burrows and web it all up. One of mine webs a lot the other not so much but both do have burrows that go in all directions. They are extremely fast growing tarantulas, with running speed to match, they are like orange bullets so keep that in mind when you are about to remove the lid into the enclosure. Always know where your obt is before opening the enclosure.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I think @KezyGLA said he lines the top of enclosures with packing tape, which tarantulas cant grip. If you do that to your OBT's enclosure, you'd never have to worry about an escape.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
For adults I house with eco earth/topsoil and clay mix. I keep one side of the enclosure deep sub and a starter burrow. The other with height and foliage for anchor points. They will adapt arboreal tendencies so the option is always good. I overflow the waterdish a little and let it dry out. Then I overflow again (repeat).

Here is enclosure for one of my AF Usambara-

IMG_6276.JPG

Wether you get a spiderling,juv or adult always expect the unexpected. This species is very fast and they spook easy, will bolt. Always have catch cups at the ready.

Last edited:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I have housed in a screen top enclosure so i have taped borders around the undersides to help stop the specimens from climbing.

IMG_6275.JPG

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
OBT's aren't so bad. I have 23 of them at the moment for future breeding purposes. I keep the rehouses simple. Vial-32oz deli-final sterilite container for sub adults. More space is better when dealing with them in my opinion. I do all my my rehouses in my bathtub also, so if you get a runner you have time to react and deal with the situation in an easier manner.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So here we go. after about 7 years of keeping new world T's, I am taking the plunge and getting getting my first OW. (Finally convinced the wife)
I've decided on an OBT. If any of you have any tips or tricks, I would love to know.
You have the chance to finally get a single OW and you picked an OBT? You can of course but there are a lot of better OW Ts out there (IMO) if you can only have one (right now). M.balfouri would be my pick if you want a terrestrial OW.

The care for it is pretty much like every other baboon species. Give it enough substrate to burrow and some extra top space (some fake plants) for webbing. A lot of my baboons like to do both. Water dish and I use cork to make a starter burrow. Follow the same rules for interacting that should be used to when working with any T. That's pretty much it.

Good luck.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Your first OW will lead to many others, be forewarned...

Really, give the OBT the proper space and depth of soil and you'll really never have a problem.

Shampain88

Arachnosquire
Congrats on taking the "plunge"... I've never been able to grasp what the OW NW fuss is all about though... Cranky, fast T's exist on both sides lol It would suck getting bit by any T... I know it does :D

beaker41

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a video embarrassingly enough posted somewhere of an H.mac I believe running up my arm ;)
I saw one I don't know if it was yours where the t ended up in his armpit. My fav part is the sound he makes when it makes the scamper up to his forearm , "oh!". I've been there hehe. Glad it worked out ok.

cold blood

Staff member
OBT's aren't so bad. I have 23 of them at the moment for future breeding purposes. I keep the rehouses simple. Vial-32oz deli-final sterilite container for sub adults. More space is better when dealing with them in my opinion. I do all my my rehouses in my bathtub also, so if you get a runner you have time to react and deal with the situation in an easier manner.
:astonished:

Why? I get breeding projects...but OBT...man its about as easy to breed as amything, meaning lots of people breed them...as a result, the market is always flooded, making them virtually worthless financially....and that also makes moving large amounts quite difficult, even at pennies on the dollar.

How mant are you hoping to produce with 23 specimens?

You could have a significant OBT project with one mm and a pair of females.

Good luck...but i dont get it...:D

Phases

Arachnoknight
:astonished:

Why? I get breeding projects...but OBT...man its about as easy to breed as amything, meaning lots of people breed them...as a result, the market is always flooded, making them virtually worthless financially....and that also makes moving large amounts quite difficult, even at pennies on the dollar.

How mant are you hoping to produce with 23 specimens?

You could have a significant OBT project with one mm and a pair of females.

Good luck...but i dont get it...:D
I'll gladly give Pennies on the dollar tohelp move a sling or two :D

AshS

Arachnosquire
You have the chance to finally get a single OW and you picked an OBT?
I'm starting OW with the OBT. ;) rest assured there will be more.
My wife gave up trying to limit my collection, and has gave me free reign. As long as I don't go too crazy :angelic:

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm starting OW with the OBT. ;) rest assured there will be more.
My wife gave up trying to limit my collection, and has gave me free reign. As long as I don't go too crazy :angelic:
It's all good. OBTs just have never been high on my want list. Too many cooler baboons out there IMO. :)

Good luck with your first OW.