1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T's with no U-hairs?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Hoosier, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hoosier

Hoosier Arachnobaron Old Timer

Hello, I was wondering if there are any kinds of T's that don't have any uriticating hairs? Was it the Old Worlds that don't have any? Thanks in advance!
  2. Rob1985

Rob1985 Arachnodemon Old Timer

Old Worlds don't have. Although I believ e Avics. have themn on thier pedipalps. :cool:
  3. David_F

David_F Arachnoprince Old Timer

Avicularia spp. have urticating hairs on the ventral sides of the abdomen, Ephebopus spp. have urticating hairs on their palps. There are a few NW species without urticating hairs. Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus are the two genera that I can think of off the top of my head but I believe there are a few others. OW tarantulas don't have urticating hairs.
  4. Bean

Bean Arachnoknight Old Timer

The only genus I'm aware of that has urticating setae on the pedipalps is Ephebopus.

I believe that Avicularia have their patch on the under side of the opisthosoma. Rather than kicking hair, they rub it on you.

Psalmopeous does not posess urticating hair, and is the only new world genus that I'm aware of that is lacking in this aspect.

Rob is correct in stating that old worlder's don't have them either.

Edit: Haha! Looks like you beat me to the punch, David! Thanks for filling in Tapinauchenius! For some reason I tend to forget about that genus.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  5. BlkCat

BlkCat Arachnoprince Old Timer

But OWs have attitudes to make up for it. :p
  6. Rob1985

I couldn't agree more Drotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My E.pachypus needs anger managment. She seems angry to be alive :?

7. Yup, thats why I named my OBT Eminem...cuz she is pissed off all the time and you know that if she could talk and had a mic, she'd be rapping about trifling pinky mice and them whack a$$ crickets keeping her up all night with their chirps thinking they got something to say! :}
  8. Rob1985

I named mine Annabelle, cause it soinds like a snobby gorils name from highschool :wicked:
  9. BlkCat

BlkCat Arachnoprince Old Timer

My OBT already has a name... Wrath. I havent even recieved it yet. :p
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  10. brigebane

brigebane Arachnoprince Old Timer

hrmm I think the only new world spiders lacking Urcitating hairs are P. Irminia , P. cambredgei and P.pulcher. Otherwise it's Old World all the way.
  11. Martin H.

Martin H. Arachnoangel Old Timer

...and what about the other Psalmopoeus species and Tapinauchenius spp. and the NW Ischnocolinae ...

all the best,