T's new water dish

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Hi, so my tarantulas water dish kept wicking water and I decided to change the dish completely, to something that was still small enough but deeper so she couldn't tip it over or lose all the water due to her webbing. I saw something similar to this on youtube with a guy who used smaller deli cups as water dishes (exoticliars). What do you guys think? I just don't want her to drown in it.
20180711_210039.jpg 20180711_210048.jpg 20180711_210348.jpg 20180711_210405.jpg 20180711_210140.jpg 20180711_210221.jpg this was the old dish. The new plastic one at the top is the new dish. Obviously there are no holes in the one in her enclosure.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Judging by the pics seems a quite huge water dish, compared to the spider :angelic:

I love to use glass made - sorta small to medium - water dish for mines.

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Judging by the pics seems a quite huge water dish, compared to the spider :angelic:

I love to use glass made - sorta small to medium - water dish for mines.
The one i used before seemed too shallow. She just kept webbing over it and sooner or later all the water would just disappear. There's also a huge wet spot where the smaller dish used to be. Here's a comparison if it helps. 15313595356131886750672.jpg

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The one i used before seemed too shallow. She just kept webbing over it and sooner or later all the water would just disappear. There's also a huge wet spot where the smaller dish used to be. Here's a comparison if it helps. View attachment 280711
Yes I know what you mean about the previous water dish you used. I've used one of those as well (for my H.gigas, no big deal since we are talking about a spider that needs a more humid environment for thrive) and I don't like those 'pet shop' sorta reptiles water dish as well.

The thing here is that, with a 'GBB' (and with similar hardcore webber spiders) no matter what you will offer, web is and will remain an 'issue' with the water dish :)

I simply take away, gently, the web from the water dish of mine, and refill.

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Yes I know what you mean about the previous water dish you used. I've used one of those as well (for my H.gigas, no big deal since we are talking about a spider that needs a more humid environment for thrive) and I don't like those 'pet shop' sorta reptiles water dish as well.

The thing here is that, with a 'GBB' (and with similar hardcore webber spiders) no matter what you will offer, web is and will remain an 'issue' with the water dish :)

I simply take away, gently, the web from the water dish of mine, and refill.
I know that's what she'll do. She's always done that with her dishes and I've just had to remove the webbing and refill. Its easier to manage than with my other t that likes to play with her dish like a toy.:D But I can manage removing the webbing, does that mean the dish is ok to use or is it too big for her?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I know that's what she'll do. She's always done that with her dishes and I've just had to remove the webbing and refill. Its easier to manage than with my other t that likes to play with her dish like a toy.:D But I can manage removing the webbing, does that mean the dish is ok to use or is it too big for her?
Well, for me is a bit 'cumbersome' and huge, but aside this detail, if works for you, then it's fine. The important thing is that said water dish remains firmly, you don't want to 'flood' a 'GBB' enclosure, as you know they heavily dislike moisture :)

SpiderQueenLizzy

Arachnopeon
Well, for me is a bit 'cumbersome' and huge, but aside this detail, if works for you, then it's fine. The important thing is that said water dish remains firmly, you don't want to 'flood' a 'GBB' enclosure, as you know they heavily dislike moisture :)[
Ok, thank you for the info. This was helpful!! That's why I come here!!

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yeah as mentioned, this species likes it dry. Webbing is inevitable, so a bigger water dish would wick even more moisture... There is no risk of drowning with tarantulas. They float. Some species have to deal with regular floods & are able to swim well- there's a video of one around somewhere. Even if they go under water, their hairs trap a bubble of air so they are able to stay submerged for a period of time and will be fine.

I've found it slightly easier to use smaller water dish for this species. Easier to pull up and clean off the webbing than a big bulky dish. I use the little condiment cups as they are sort of invisible, lightweight and disposable if they get really dirtied/webbed up.

Another helpful trick would be to give this species a lot more enclosure space. The general idea is to have most of the objects, anchor points in/towards one corner and leave the opposite corner "bare" as the water dish area. They'll eventually web to the water dish area but since there's not much objects, there's generally less of it.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You own a GBB, there is no avoiding the issue you have unless your T decides on its own to not web the dish- with a GBB- unlikely. We GBB owners know your struggle. ;)

BTW Ts won't drown, they can swim in rivers.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
If it keeps webbing the dish just mist the webbing they will drink from there.
Just don't forget to do it, mine doesn't web the dish so I guess I'm lucky.