Ts in cold room.

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
Is it bad to put ts in a cold room? I know it depends on the species but how about in general? A/C is on in my room for almost half the day if not whole day. Is it fine as long as i regulate temperature and not make it too cold? I know most species do well on higher tempts, but how about a slightly colder environment? Thanks...

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Is it bad to put ts in a cold room? I know it depends on the species but how about in general?
Which species are you currently keeping (or considering putting in that room), and how cold does the room get?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Is it bad to put ts in a cold room? I know it depends on the species but how about in general? A/C is on in my room for almost half the day if not whole day. Is it fine as long as i regulate temperature and not make it too cold? I know most species do well on higher tempts, but how about a slightly colder environment? Thanks...
We can't rally say because your description is rather vague. As @Ungoliant mentioned, we will need to know more details. What species you are keeping there, what the lowest temperature is, what temperature you plan on regulating.

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
Which species are you currently keeping (or considering putting in that room), and how cold does the room get?
Mostly terrestrials, few arborials. Brachypelmas, grammostolas, nhandus, a.geniculata, pokies, obt/baboons, avicularias, and a few others. Total of 38 species. Im running out of room so i need to transfer lol i dont know exactly how low the temp gets, but its enough to make me use a blanket :D

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Mostly terrestrials, few arborials. Brachypelmas, grammostolas, nhandus, a.geniculata, pokies, obt/baboons, avicularias, and a few others. Total of 38 species. Im running out of room so i need to transfer lol i dont know exactly how low the temp gets, but its enough to make me use a blanket :D
If the temps get low enough that you need to use a blanket to stay warm then it will be too cold for your Ts if sustained for long period of time.

I would worry most about the tropical species. I would stop temp from falling below 20C as they require warmth and some humidity.

The baboon and scrubland sp. should be OK in temps down to 17C.

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
If the temps get low enough that you need to use a blanket to stay warm then it will be too cold for your Ts if sustained for long period of time. I would worry most about the tropical species. I would stop temp from falling below 20C.
Lets say the temp gets as low as 35-40c, is that ok for lets say 8hrs?

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ok. I am a little confused. Those temperatures are not low. They are very high. If you need a blanket in those temps then you are not human :p

If you mean 35-40F, then that is freezing.

Is it high temperatures that you are concerned about?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
35-40 °C is not what I would consider to be cold. If anything, that is getting too warm (especially 40 °C).

ChaelP

Arachnosquire
@KezyGLA
@Ungoliant

Oops sorry. I got confused coz im checking temp here now and its 32c without a/c on. So im guessing temp here gets lower than 20c when a/c is on. So as long as it doesnt drop as low or lower than 20c its ok?

aphono

Arachnobaron
AC reduces humidity, be sure to keep their water dishes full. Never saw any of them drink water before the AC was on for the summer.. with the AC on, I've seen a few of them drinking.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
You live in the Philippines, I think 'cold' is 'hot' if compared to the average UK rainy day, uh :troll:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I don't keep Ts in a room that I am not comfortable in, in short sleeves.
For a short term power outage, I would not worry about temps in the 65F°(18C°) range, for a day or so -- but anything below that, or for longer periods, I would bring in alternative heating.
That's just me. Others may feel differently.

I am a "better safe than sorry" person. For reptiles, I would not ever let it get even that low, not even for of couple hours.

TRection

Arachnoknight
Now that "winter is coming" in Canada (getting down to 15C lately) I'm actually starting to get a little worried about my T, this will be the first winter i have her. We do have central heating so the house wont get very cold but it still worries me, Ill have to be more conscious of the temps than i ever have been before. I'm planning on buying a small space heater and moving her to a different room if it gets too cold in my bedroom. Op i think your temps are just fine, but if they do end up dipping below 20 then i would suggest a space heater as well. :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Now that "winter is coming" in Canada (getting down to 15C lately) I'm actually starting to get a little worried about my T, this will be the first winter i have her. We do have central heating so the house wont get very cold but it still worries me, Ill have to be more conscious of the temps than i ever have been before. I'm planning on buying a small space heater and moving her to a different room if it gets too cold in my bedroom. Op i think your temps are just fine, but if they do end up dipping below 20 then i would suggest a space heater as well. :)
What species is your spider? I have very similar weather to Can. It was 14c here today too.

TRection

Arachnoknight
What species is your spider? I have very similar weather to Can. It was 14c here today too.
A.Geniculata, the weather forecast is saying its dropping down to 9c tomorrow night so im assuming my dad will be turning the heat on any day now lol (he hates the cold)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Tarantulas can survive for awhile in lower temperatures, but that's not exactly healthy or optimal for your pets. If you can't keep one room in the 70's year round via space heater, you shouldn't have tarantulas.

Swede Baboon

Baboons are life
Please come visit Sweden around january/february "rofl"

Last winter was rather mild:
-20-25Celcius :robot::robot:

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Not really something to go by, but as of this post and according to the weather program I use on my PC, it is currently 93F (feels like 103F)with a humidity of 55% in Santarem, Brazil, an area A. geniculata is found. I have no idea WHERE in Santarem though. I use the weather report as a very, VERY rough(and more for a point of interest than for purposes of keeping the genic) guideline during the cooler months here.