T's feeder colony help

BrockiePelma

Arachnosquire
So i've been keeping Ts for a year now and not to brag, but its been really easy maintaining my 30+ or so Ts and their enclosures,feeding once a week and maintenance once every 2 weeks.

But the same cannot be said on my feeder roaches(B.lateralis),it takes me hours to clean and even more so when separating the eggs from the actual throwable mess(poo,dead,etc).currently im using a large bin with egg trays on it. And i noticed that its taking me a large amount of time cleaning the "pits" on the egg trays(about 12 pits for every tray,i got 4 trays atm), it might be easier if the pits are cut at the bottom so that everything drops to the very bottom and into the bin. But the problem is i dont know how can i cut the bottom, using scissors/cutter just messes up the tray,burning the bottom doesnt work also. any tips on how can i cut the bottom nicely? Id appreciate the help.thanks!!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I used Dubia roaches for my feeds and though they are bigger you have the same problem with nymphs in the frass. I used to spend huge amounts of time picking the little things out. now with the breeder bin seperate from my feeder bin I don't have to clean it out as often (breeder produces a lot less frass due to fewer larder roaches in it. and one they are moved to the feeder bin they are larger and easier to pick out. Also with so many roaches I don't worry as much about picking out every one of them.

But the same cannot be said on my feeder roaches(B.lateralis),it takes me hours to clean and even more so when separating the eggs from the actual throwable mess(poo,dead,etc).currently im using a large bin with egg trays on it. And i noticed that its taking me a large amount of time cleaning the "pits" on the egg trays(about 12 pits for every tray,i got 4 trays atm), it might be easier if the pits are cut at the bottom so that everything drops to the very bottom and into the bin. But the problem is i dont know how can i cut the bottom, using scissors/cutter just messes up the tray,burning the bottom doesnt work also.
Do you have photos of your setup? Are your egg crates laying flat? If so that could be your problem.

Here is a normal setup for my Dubias.

This is right after I have sorted my small ones out and put them in the other bin. I use cardboard between the flats to prevent them from closing up. The tape is around the top to prevent the nymphs from climbing out.

Setting the flats on their side lets the frass mostly fall out to the bottom.

jaycied

Arachnoknight
Good idea with putting cardboard in between flats. I'll have to do that. I've kept both lateralis and dubia, and prefer the dubia. They are easier for me to deal with. My colony is just starting to get up and going, and I have no idea what I will have to do with my plethora of feeders. Guess I need to buy more Ts :p

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Good idea with putting cardboard in between flats. I'll have to do that. I've kept both lateralis and dubia, and prefer the dubia. They are easier for me to deal with. My colony is just starting to get up and going, and I have no idea what I will have to do with my plethora of feeders. Guess I need to buy more Ts :p
The cardboard works really well.

After a while you still wont be able to keep up no matter how many Ts you buy. I have a Breaded Dragon and even with him eating large amounts I still give them away. Find a friend with chickens and hand off the extras to them.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
So i've been keeping Ts for a year now and not to brag, but its been really easy maintaining my 30+ or so Ts and their enclosures,feeding once a week and maintenance once every 2 weeks.
Hardly a surprise. One of the charms of this hobby is the ability to maintain a large amount of them while not needing to dedicate a large amount of time to their care.