Ts chewing through vents....

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I’ve heard (and seen) of Ts being able to use their fangs to chew through aluminum wire vents. Does anyone know if the same is true for plastic vents? I was looking to get a 20 gallon aquarium to house my Theraphosa stirmi when she gets larger, and I wanted to drill holes into the sides, in order to add vents, improving cross-ventilation, which is ESSENTIAL for keeping this species. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Btw, these are the circular vents I was looking to use, just for reference....

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Whatever they can put their fangs on they will do so. One keeper swears by mesh vents of metal, another swears by plastic. I prefer drilled holes in plastic.

Btw, these are the circular vents I was looking to use, just for reference....
Those are nice. You could run w/those. Where'd you find them?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks a lot, forget about vent masters. There's another site called Midget Louvers (spelling is wrong)

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I use drilled holes. I thought about trying mesh but never got around to it.

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
I use drilled holes. I thought about trying mesh but never got around to it.
I was gonna drill holes into a sterilite container, but I thought that an aquarium would look a LOT nicer. And by using vents I figure I can get enough cross ventilation to make a pretty yet functional enclosure for my beloved T. stirmi :D

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I was gonna drill holes into a sterilite container, but I thought that an aquarium would look a LOT nicer. And by using vents I figure I can get enough cross ventilation to make a pretty yet functional enclosure for my beloved T. stirmi :D
Sorry overlooked the aquarium part. If its not tempered glass you can drill it with a diamond glass bit. I have done a few reef tanks before. Those vents look fine,

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
Sorry overlooked the aquarium part. If its not tempered glass you can drill it with a diamond glass bit. I have done a few reef tanks before. Those vents look fine,
It’s all good! And yea I a did my research on drilling glass, and I already bought my diamond hole saw :)