Ts and heat?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There was a freak accident the other day where my closet reached very high 80s and my Acanthoscurria geniculata sling molted almost immediately. I keep them in the high 70s/very low 80s most of the time, but bumping it every now and then is something im going to test after seeing that happen.

It increases their metabolism thus all life processes have a faster rate too generally.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
So you think the temps had a direct influence on the A. geniculata sling molting so quickly, I take it you weren't expecting the sling to molt so soon, I'll have to see if this has a direct affect on any of my slings.....interesting @JoshDM020
Viper got it. Id just never raised the temp that high before, is what i was getting at. I figured the genic was in premolt because it wasnt eating but it hadnt turned dark yet, so it was a slight surprise.

It increases their metabolism thus all life processes have a faster rate too generally.

Bread

Arachnopeon
In the UK, we're having quite warm weather ATM, 78 - 80 Fahrenheit, so should I expect to see more mots? Especially my slings as they molt more often as we all know, a couple of my C. minax look like they're entering the molting stage, shiny abdomens, although one of them did take a nymph down today, just have to wait and see if the weather plays a direct role in the speed between molts.
I wish!, It was 91f today in my back yard in Yorkshire, it's 90 inside right now, all the balfouris are out loving it (Socotra is way hooter than 90f) - My Hysterocrates cameroon is underwater in her dish.
I'm the worst off, sat 2foot from my fan it's Yorkshire! it's meant to be rainy and cold :p

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I wish!, It was 91f today in my back yard in Yorkshire, it's 90 inside right now, all the balfouris are out loving it (Socotra is way hooter than 90f) - My Hysterocrates cameroon is underwater in her dish.
I'm the worst off, sat 2foot from my fan it's Yorkshire! it's meant to be rainy and cold :p
I'm on the east coast of Scotland, not near as hot as it is down there pal...thankfully, I like hot weather but not to those extremes, especially when we're used to rain and mild conditions...lol

Eek

Arachnosquire
I was told for a vast majority of T's that they will be comfortable if you are comfortable. In fact, I'd wager humans are more picky about temps than most T's. My advice? Type in the scientific name of your T and the word setup. The results will provide what others before you have done for the exact same species.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I was told for a vast majority of T's that they will be comfortable if you are comfortable
Correct, unless you have an extremely temperature sensitive spider, which I have no clue of any that need such specific temps, although someone with more experience may be able to chip in.....

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
That's all good, but before my ac was fixed a couple weeks ago, all my Ts were using their water dishes as swimming pools. :watchingyou::rolleyes:

keks

Arachnobaron
from 26° C upwards temperatures are not comfortable for me anymore :meh:.
That's all good, but before my ac was fixed a couple weeks ago, all my Ts were using their water dishes as swimming pools. :watchingyou::rolleyes:
:rofl:. Sorry. I have mental cinema of tarantulas in a whirlpool, drinking Pina colada.

What temperatures did you have before ac?

Just now I have good temperatures in my flat. But when I take a look at the weather forecast, I have bad visions. On Thursday 35°C, the next two weeks from 28°C to 32°C. With my big window on southwest side it will be hot inside too, I fear :shifty:. Even if I have my outside-jalousie.

cold blood

Staff member
In a way invertebrates are similar to reptiles, they are greatly affected by the temperature of their surroundings. I've noticed that somewhat higher temps can have an effect on how active they are.

I like to feed towards the end of the day/early evening when I know the heater was running for a while, often this results in a better feeding response.

It's plausible that elevated temps could induce a faster metabolism. Would make sense seeing as higher temps and more feedings almost always result in faster growth.
Keep in mind that the "law of diminishing returns" is in play...yes warmer temps increase metabolic rate...but every t has an optimal temp for growth...raise temps above that and it can be stressful and actually slow things....or at least not speed things up like one might expect.

Fall through winter my room is heated and stays between 77 and 82...in summer it ranges between 68 and 90.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Keep in mind that the "law of diminishing returns" is in play...yes warmer temps increase metabolic rate...but every t has an optimal temp for growth...raise temps above that and it can be stressful and actually slow things....or at least not speed things up like one might expect.

Fall through winter my room is heated and stays between 77 and 82...in summer it ranges between 68 and 90.
Agreed, I don't like the T room going over 80. I feel like that's about the optimal temperature for most of my species. I can definitely see how ideal temps would eventually be exceeded, and that going over could make them uncomfortable.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I've currently got a big freezer pack on the top of my Megaphobema mesomelas enclosure to get the temps down a little.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I've currently got a big freezer pack on the top of my Megaphobema mesomelas enclosure to get the temps down a little.
Yeah you guys were getting temps of 30c today, here on the east coast of Scotland it's nowhere near that today, thank god, I have noticed all mines are very active over the past few days, not had any molts though, but I'm expecting a few of my slings to molt, T's and heat eh......

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yeah you guys were getting temps of 30c today, here on the east coast of Scotland it's nowhere near that today, thank god, I have noticed all mines are very active over the past few days, not had any molts though, but I'm expecting a few of my slings to molt, T's and heat eh......
I'm right in a vest and shorts at 5c. I run very hot. It's absolutely disgusting.

I've been keeping the curtains closed in the animal room and had to move my Megaphobema mesomelas out. No mats are on (no surprise but shows the importance of stats) but it's still too warm for her. With freezer packs on the roof I've got her at a steady 73 F. Still hotter than I'd like her but it's not bad.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I love your dedication man, doing all of this to keep her comfortable. Would mid 70s really be that unbearable for them? Doesn't seem too bad if it's just for a few days,
I'm really not sure. I don't like being warmer than normal though.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I love your dedication man, doing all of this to keep her comfortable. Would mid 70s really be that unbearable for them? Doesn't seem too bad if it's just for a few days,
Also I'm only getting her to the mid 70's doing these things for her. I'll still be far happier when this heat packs its bags and jumps in the car for a holiday. Then dies driving there.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I had 9 Ts molt last week. 6 slings, 2 juvies and one MM. I'm expecting a dozen (all slings) to molt before 2 weeks are up.
I have a few slings that I'm expecting to molt, although I don't think it makes the slightest difference with my B. albopilosum slings, their growth rate....slow as paint drying on ice....lol
Agree to a certain extent, but there must be a point when too much heat is detrimental to the spider in question, species dependant of course.....ah generally, just noticed that.....