1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ts and heat?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Christianb96, Jun 10, 2017.

1. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Advertisement

It increases their metabolism thus all life processes have a faster rate too generally.

2. JoshDM020

JoshDM020 Arachnosquire Active Member

Viper got it. Id just never raised the temp that high before, is what i was getting at. I figured the genic was in premolt because it wasnt eating but it hadnt turned dark yet, so it was a slight surprise.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bread

Bread Arachnopeon

I wish!, It was 91f today in my back yard in Yorkshire, it's 90 inside right now, all the balfouris are out loving it (Socotra is way hooter than 90f) - My Hysterocrates cameroon is underwater in her dish.
    I'm the worst off, sat 2foot from my fan it's Yorkshire! it's meant to be rainy and cold :p

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnobaron Active Member

I'm on the east coast of Scotland, not near as hot as it is down there pal...thankfully, I like hot weather but not to those extremes, especially when we're used to rain and mild conditions...lol

5. Eek

Eek Arachnosquire

I was told for a vast majority of T's that they will be comfortable if you are comfortable. In fact, I'd wager humans are more picky about temps than most T's. My advice? Type in the scientific name of your T and the word setup. The results will provide what others before you have done for the exact same species.

6. mconnachan

Correct, unless you have an extremely temperature sensitive spider, which I have no clue of any that need such specific temps, although someone with more experience may be able to chip in.....

7. crone

crone Arachnolord Active Member

That's all good, but before my ac was fixed a couple weeks ago, all my Ts were using their water dishes as swimming pools. :watching::rolleyes:

8. keks

keks Arachnosquire Active Member

from 26° C upwards temperatures are not comfortable for me anymore :meh:.
    :hilarious:. Sorry. I have mental cinema of tarantulas in a whirlpool, drinking Pina colada.

What temperatures did you have before ac?

Just now I have good temperatures in my flat. But when I take a look at the weather forecast, I have bad visions. On Thursday 35°C, the next two weeks from 28°C to 32°C. With my big window on southwest side it will be hot inside too, I fear :shifty:. Even if I have my outside-jalousie.

• Like Like x 2
  9. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Keep in mind that the "law of diminishing returns" is in play...yes warmer temps increase metabolic rate...but every t has an optimal temp for growth...raise temps above that and it can be stressful and actually slow things....or at least not speed things up like one might expect.

Fall through winter my room is heated and stays between 77 and 82...in summer it ranges between 68 and 90.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoknight Active Member

Agreed, I don't like the T room going over 80. I feel like that's about the optimal temperature for most of my species. I can definitely see how ideal temps would eventually be exceeded, and that going over could make them uncomfortable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

I've currently got a big freezer pack on the top of my Megaphobema mesomelas enclosure to get the temps down a little.

12. mconnachan

Yeah you guys were getting temps of 30c today, here on the east coast of Scotland it's nowhere near that today, thank god, I have noticed all mines are very active over the past few days, not had any molts though, but I'm expecting a few of my slings to molt, T's and heat eh......

13. basin79

I'm right in a vest and shorts at 5c. I run very hot. It's absolutely disgusting.

I've been keeping the curtains closed in the animal room and had to move my Megaphobema mesomelas out. No mats are on (no surprise but shows the importance of stats) but it's still too warm for her. With freezer packs on the roof I've got her at a steady 73 F. Still hotter than I'd like her but it's not bad.

• Like Like x 1
  14. basin79

• Like Like x 3
  15. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoknight Active Member

I love your dedication man, doing all of this to keep her comfortable. Would mid 70s really be that unbearable for them? Doesn't seem too bad if it's just for a few days,

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. basin79

I'm really not sure. I don't like being warmer than normal though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. basin79

Also I'm only getting her to the mid 70's doing these things for her. I'll still be far happier when this heat packs its bags and jumps in the car for a holiday. Then dies driving there.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. basin79

Feeling better now.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. I personally keep my tarantula area between 69 and 75 all year round.

20. mconnachan

I have a few slings that I'm expecting to molt, although I don't think it makes the slightest difference with my B. albopilosum slings, their growth rate....slow as paint drying on ice....lol
    Agree to a certain extent, but there must be a point when too much heat is detrimental to the spider in question, species dependant of course.....ah generally, just noticed that.....

• Agree Agree x 1