1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to molt or Death curl?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by DagmarV, Jul 11, 2018 at 6:59 PM.

1. DagmarV

DagmarV Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Thank you everyone for your help and reassurance. I guess it's time to play the waiting game. :(

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. InvertAddiction

InvertAddiction Arachnosquire Active Member

Fingers crossed for you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Good to hear its alive!

No added heat!

Its difficult to say if its dehydration or suffering from a stuffy enclosure...as both things tend to cause the same issues...part of why it can be difficult for a beginner.

i would attempt to hydrate it, and move it to a dry environment.

If its on its back, you can hydrate by placing a drop of water at the base of the fangs....if it wont stay on its back, its in better shape than we think.

I prefer a 16oz deli...easy to ventilate and set up with room for water.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DagmarV

I ran to the grocery store and got a deli cup. There's a dry paper towel, a water dish, and about 50 holes around the top and on the lid. I put a drop of water on its mouth, and here's how we're looking: better you think?? 20180712_123630.jpg it's for sure uncurling a little, still moving.

Omg it turned itself over 20180712_125207.jpg I think the little guy is gonna make it!!!

I'm crying 20180712_125340.jpg you guys saved my little dude

Thank you guys omg thank you all so much

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018 at 3:12 PM
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  5. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    It definitely looks like it's in better shape. Make the appropriate changes to the enclosure and put it in its new home and it should be okay.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. cold blood

Not out of the woods yet....but its certainly heading in the right direction.

Now to set that deli cup up properly.

Notice my ventilation, its not extreme, but rather well placed....there are 3 rings around the side and just a few holes on the lid (obviously not shown).

Next you want a flat piece of wood extending to the top, and the wood should be surrounded by plants, especially the top of the wood.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. InvertAddiction

YAY!!! So glad to read it's doing better!! :) Def keep us posted with the new enclosure and how it's doing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. lostbrane

lostbrane Arachnopeon

Huzzah! Excellent news indeed. Hope it continues to pull through.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoprince Active Member

You got lucky I’ve had a few reclusive Ts that got too dehydrated. No way to revive a T , we need like little shock pads for Ts.
    Now if I don’t think there doing well i rehouse to something bigger/ better like h Mac.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DagmarV

He's still weak and wobbly but moving around. 20180712_152528.jpg I set up his new container but I wanted your guys' OK before I put him back. There's a shell water dish up at the top you can't really see very well in the photo but otherwise I think I did everything suggested and I can switch out the top if it's too much ventilation
    20180712_232131.jpg 20180713_001905.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    The ventilation holes may be too big. If the holes are larger than the little guys carapace it can squeeze through and escape. Just double check that before you do your rehouse. Otherwise I think that enclosure looks good.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. InvertAddiction

Moving around is still progress :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. cold blood

Looks good, keep a water dish on the floor as well, if she is in dire need again, the ground will likely be where she ends up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DagmarV

Yep, she sure did... curled up again. I left her there overnight and this morning. I thought she kicked it. Reached in to remove her and she's up and about again. I'm so confused. She acts like she's dying but will get up and walk and climb like nothing is wrong. 20180714_113701.jpg

15. crone

crone Arachnoangel

You can also use a soda bottle lid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. InvertAddiction

Any new progress since you found it this morning?

• Sad Sad x 1
  17. DagmarV

I'm sad to report the little guy is officially gone. :( he stayed in the death curl and isn't moving anymore, not even when I touch him.

You guys taught me a lot though and I appreciate the support.

• Sad Sad x 8
  18. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnoknight Active Member

Iowa
    My condolences, that really sucks but sometimes they just don't make it. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  19. InvertAddiction

Aww I'm so sorry :( Avic slings are harder to raise for the beginner in the hobby. Slings in general are harder and have higher death rates than juveniles and up. Don't let this little guy's death deter you though :)

• Agree Agree x 1