Trying to molt or Death curl?

DagmarV

Arachnopeon
I put my new C. versicolor sling in a new container 3 days ago, it made a cocoon/hammock web inmediately and this morning I saw it like this. I'm probably being paranoid but my other slings (all terrestrial) have never molted so curled up before. 20180711_165042.jpg

cold blood

Staff member
Doesn't look like either. Maybe a stress posture, but they just sit like this sometimes, there is not always something to read from their positioning.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
It could possibly be moulting. But thats a strange curl. Is there any movement at all?

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Could you show us the whole enclosure? I can't see any vent holes? Do you have enough cross ventilation?
Just a thought...

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I'd bet money that it's not molting. Looks to me like you've got a right to be worried, but it looks fat and hydrated. You just moved it into a new enclosure - is it possible there's something in the enclosure that's toxic in some way? Don't want to scare you, but legs curling under like that usually isn't a good sign, as you seem to be well aware of.

DagmarV

Arachnopeon
Update: I think it's dying. :( it fell out of it's cocoon and 20180712_100814.jpg it's been twitching but not doing much else.

cold blood

Staff member
You definitely want to ventilate the whole thing, and not just the top. Is there a water dish?

DagmarV

Arachnopeon
I'd bet money that it's not molting. Looks to me like you've got a right to be worried, but it looks fat and hydrated. You just moved it into a new enclosure - is it possible there's something in the enclosure that's toxic in some way? Don't want to scare you, but legs curling under like that usually isn't a good sign, as you seem to be well aware of.
The only think I did differently for this one is put a layber vermicolite on the bottom of the cocofiber and the leaf i used came off of a silk plant for lizard terrariums... i think i just got unlucky...

You definitely want to ventilate the whole thing, and not just the top. Is there a water dish?
You re right, regardless of what happens I need to put some lower down. I don't have a water dish small enough I'm comfortable putting I there yet on account of being so small still.

Last edited by a moderator:

cold blood

Staff member
Well vermiculite is used specifically to hold moisture....exactly what you dont want with this species.

cold blood

Staff member
You re right, regardless of what happens I need to put some lower down. I don't have a water dish small enough I'm comfortable putting I there yet on account of being so small still.
No t is too small for a water dish. Ts float, there is no drowning risk. The cap from a water bottle is a good dish.

General rule, if the enclosure has the room to accomodate a water dish, its best to use one.

Sorry for the loss...its a real bummer.

DagmarV

Arachnopeon
No t is too small for a water dish. Ts float, there is no drowning risk. The cap from a water bottle is a good dish.

General rule, if the enclosure has the room to accomodate a water dish, its best to use one.

Sorry for the loss...its a real bummer.
Thank you for your input. I'm still very new to Ts and I get a lot of conflicting / out dated info about some of them, like this little guy. You don't think I accidently killed it do you? I was so nervous about arboreal species that I told myself I wouldn't get one until I raised a few Ts. Maybe I jumped in too quickly. I feel awful.

LdLrLyChLd

Arachnosquire
I empathize with your sadness but don’t feel guilty. My first arboreal died and it was not my fault, some spiders just don’t make it, hence why tons of spiders are hatched at once so there’s more of a chance for survival. It’s the risk you run when getting a sling vs an older, larger T. I immediately put a new arboreal in the same enclosure, all I did was wipe out the webbing and the new one is doing great. I’m sorry you won’t get a solid answer but don’t get discouraged!

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
Slings are harder to care for when you're still new to Ts and when you add an avic sling into it... you get a little more difficulty. Truthfully, it could have died from anything. Slings have a natural higher death rate than juveniles/sub adults/adults. Don't let this mishap deter you from trying again in the future. As as for what to do differently next time, cross ventilation on the sides of the enclosure, coco fiver substrate works well by itself and a water dish that can be overflowed once a week or so (not to the point of causing a flood in the enclosure though).

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Are you sure it's already dead? I'd get it out into something dry, well ventilated and with a water dish. Maybe there's still a chance.

And don't be afraid of a water dish ... they float! :) Mine was only 1/2"-3/4" at the time.

DagmarV

Arachnopeon
Are you sure it's already dead? I'd get it out into something dry, well ventilated and with a water dish. Maybe there's still a chance.
20180712_103703.jpg
I took it out and put it in, ironically, what would have been it's water bowl (good to know they float, adorable picture btw haha) and it's still squirming around... not a lot, but still alive. So keep it dry? Should I put it next to a heating pad to keep it extra warm? It's currently 76F in my room.

InvertAddiction

Arachnoknight
You don't need to put it next to a heat source room temps are fine. Truthfully, put it in something with good ventilation and next to a water dish and play the not so fun waiting game to see if it pulls through.