True spiders with a decent lifespan.

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
So far I've found that K. hibernalis and Sicarius sp. are the only true spiders (that I know of) which have a decent lifespan of over 8 years. Does anyone know of any other trues that share this characteristic?

NYAN

Arachnoking
Number-16, a female Gaius Villosus specimen from Western Australia died recently at the record breaking age of 43, and not even of old age.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/62452-worlds-oldest-spider-dies.html
Alot of trapdoors have lifespans of up to 20 years, but this individual may prove our

current knowledge of how long the live will change
You’re absolutely right here, however mygalomorphs aren’t considered ‘true’ spiders.

How long is considered long lived?

Sicarius, Hexopthalma and Kukulcania are probably among the longest living sadly. Loxosceles can have decent lifespans also incidentally.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
You’re absolutely right here, however mygalomorphs aren’t considered ‘true’ spiders.

How long is considered long lived?

Sicarius, Hexopthalma and Kukulcania are probably among the longest living sadly. Loxosceles can have decent lifespans also incidentally.
Are you confusing true spiders with modern spiders? I always believed traps counted as true spider primitives

NYAN

Arachnoking
Are you confusing true spiders with modern spiders? I always believed traps counted as true spider primitives
Anything in Araneomorphae is what is generally called a true spider. Trapdoors are a different infraorder.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
@RezonantVoid one reasonable definition of true spiders would be any spider more closely related to Latrodectus hesperus than to either Theraphosa blondii or Liphistius ornatus. Trapdoors are closer to T. blondii than they are to L. hesperus, so they are not true spiders.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So far I've found that K. hibernalis and Sicarius sp. are the only true spiders (that I know of) which have a decent lifespan of over 8 years. Does anyone know of any other trues that share this characteristic?
Haplogynes (the more primitive branch of true spiders) are probably your best bet for longevity.

Mygalomorphs, the group that includes tarantulas, funnel-web spiders, and trap-door spiders, are sometimes often called "primitive spiders," and araneomorphs, the group that includes most other spiders, are often called "true spiders." (Araneomorphs are further divided into haplogynes, which are more primitive, and entelegynes, which are more advanced.)

Certain mygalomorph traits are considered more "primitive," because they appeared early in the evolution of spiders and haven't changed much from those of early spiders. Certain araneomorph traits are deemed more "advanced," because they appeared more recently and have undergone notable change from ancestral traits. However, you can't really say that araneomorphs as a whole are "more advanced" or "more evolved" than mygalomorphs, as they are both equally separated in time from the common ancestor of spiders.

One noticeable difference between mygalomorphs and araneomorphs is how their jaws move. Mygalomorph fangs move in parallel, swinging up along an arc before a strike. Araneomorph fangs move in opposition to each other, resembling pincers. Some good illustrations that show the difference:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Yea I know the differences, I just thought any non-tarantula spider was a true spider that fell under either primitive or modern. Thx for help clearing that up