Araneomorph (True Spider) Picture Thread

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I found this lady(?) in our bedroom today, enjoying the air conditioning. I've never seen a wolf spider this big, and even other people who've lived here there whole lives are impressed. Her leg span was approximately 4".
Most wolf spiders don't get that large, but there are species of Hogna and Tigrosa that can reach impressive sizes. Yours is a Hogna -- probably male.

Compare with the Carolina wolf spider (Hogna carolinensis), the largest wolf spider in North America. (Shots of the underside are good for distinguishing between different species of Hogna.)

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
male southern house spider (Kukulcania hibernalis) courting a female (on my porch)

penultimate male whitebanded fishing spider (Dolomedes albineus)

common house spider (Parasteatoda tepidariorum) with egg sacs (on my porch)

Prerna

Arachnopeon
upload_2017-7-17_15-3-26.png

Hi all,

New to the forum, basically know nothing much about spiders and generally scared of them. Since 2-3 weeks, we have this guest in our house, and we are frightened to even approach it. We think it came along with a special fruits import we got from Cameroon but we're not sure. What I know is I've never seen such a one here in Switzerland. Does anyone know what it is and how dangerous it can be? Any advice is welcome.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
Welcome to the forum! That is a type of crab spider, which are harmless. If I had to guess, I would say, Misumena vatia. (Click on their name to go to a site about them) assuming it is M. Vatia, then they are native to Switzerland. You probably have never seen one because they camouflage in flowers. Here is a comparison picture of one that looks similar to yours. On yours, her abdomen looks deflated, probably due to not having a meal in a couple weeks. I would carefully put her in a cup and take her to some flowers outside.

Prerna

Arachnopeon
Hi Duriana, many thanks for your message, I'm reassured somehow. I went to check and couldn't find it now; will look again later and make sure to place it in our garden. By the way, I like your name; reminds me of my no 1 favourite fruit, the infamous durian.

Duriana

Arachnoknight
Hi Duriana, many thanks for your message, I'm reassured somehow. I went to check and couldn't find it now; will look again later and make sure to place it in our garden. By the way, I like your name; reminds me of my no 1 favourite fruit, the infamous durian.
You're welcome! My parents love durian, and kinda gave me the nickname :embarrassed:

basin79

ArachnoGod
@basin79 do you have a gallery on here of just your jumping spiders? I was trying to find, I love seeing these guys! Videos don't load so well for me unfortunately, but the pics are great
I don't have any albums on here no. I'm on Instagram basin79. All my pics are on there but they're not sorted into albums.

Bider

Arachnopeon
Here is my little young house spider. Caught it as a baby going up my wall. Decided to keep it to finish off the remanents of my arachnophobia. Always felt like it was a good idea and it is helping.

Not sure on the exact species though. All I know is that it is one of the European big fast ones.

Attachments

Bider

Arachnopeon
Found this little guy crawling on top of my kitchen top. Wanted a second spider as I had a spare jar, so I put him into temporary holding and set it up. He seems pretty content with the nicely shaped sticks I foraged once I put him in the finished product.

Less sure of the species, but he seems to like using his webs to get around and has brown legs.

Attachments