1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

True spider picture thread

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Curious jay, May 30, 2012.

1. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    Most wolf spiders don't get that large, but there are species of Hogna and Tigrosa that can reach impressive sizes. Yours is a Hogna -- probably male.

Compare with the Carolina wolf spider (Hogna carolinensis), the largest wolf spider in North America. (Shots of the underside are good for distinguishing between different species of Hogna.)

2. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

Female Phidippus regius eating a brown cricket.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ungoliant

If you've got it, flaunt it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ungoliant

• Like Like x 1
  5. Prerna

Prerna Arachnopeon

upload_2017-7-17_15-3-26.png

Hi all,

New to the forum, basically know nothing much about spiders and generally scared of them. Since 2-3 weeks, we have this guest in our house, and we are frightened to even approach it. We think it came along with a special fruits import we got from Cameroon but we're not sure. What I know is I've never seen such a one here in Switzerland. Does anyone know what it is and how dangerous it can be? Any advice is welcome.

6. Duriana

Duriana Arachnoknight

Welcome to the forum! That is a type of crab spider, which are harmless. If I had to guess, I would say, Misumena vatia. (Click on their name to go to a site about them) assuming it is M. Vatia, then they are native to Switzerland. You probably have never seen one because they camouflage in flowers. Here is a comparison picture of one that looks similar to yours. On yours, her abdomen looks deflated, probably due to not having a meal in a couple weeks. I would carefully put her in a cup and take her to some flowers outside.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Prerna

Prerna Arachnopeon

Hi Duriana, many thanks for your message, I'm reassured somehow. I went to check and couldn't find it now; will look again later and make sure to place it in our garden. By the way, I like your name; reminds me of my no 1 favourite fruit, the infamous durian.

8. Duriana

Duriana Arachnoknight

You're welcome! My parents love durian, and kinda gave me the nickname :shame:

9. spotropaicsav

spotropaicsav Arachnobaron Active Member

@basin79 do you have a gallery on here of just your jumping spiders? I was trying to find, I love seeing these guys! Videos don't load so well for me unfortunately, but the pics are great

10. basin79

I don't have any albums on here no. I'm on Instagram basin79. All my pics are on there but they're not sorted into albums.

• Like Like x 1
  11. spotropaicsav

Gotcha, I don't have instagram, I'll just search them out on here as I find them. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  12. basin79

Female Heteropoda lunula.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. basin79

Female Porrhothele antipodiana.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. basin79

Young Eresus moravicus. The hand pic for scale.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  15. Flexzone

Flexzone Arachnodemon

Sitticus fasciger- MM
    DSC_3773_00003-2.jpg DSC_3764_00002-2.jpg DSC_3776_00006-2.jpg Sitticus fasciger- MM

• Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. spotropaicsav

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ungoliant

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Bider

Bider Arachnopeon

England
    Here is my little young house spider. Caught it as a baby going up my wall. Decided to keep it to finish off the remanents of my arachnophobia. Always felt like it was a good idea and it is helping.

Not sure on the exact species though. All I know is that it is one of the European big fast ones.

Attached Files:

19. Bider

Bider Arachnopeon

England
    Found this little guy crawling on top of my kitchen top. Wanted a second spider as I had a spare jar, so I put him into temporary holding and set it up. He seems pretty content with the nicely shaped sticks I foraged once I put him in the finished product.

Less sure of the species, but he seems to like using his webs to get around and has brown legs.

Attached Files:

20. Flexzone

Flexzone Arachnodemon

Heteropoda boiei- 1/2'' sling - first feed
    DSC_4493_00001-2.jpg DSC_4510_00004-2.jpg

• Like Like x 2