Araneomorph (True Spider) Picture Thread

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Interesting Tegen. Definitely not Tegenaria gigantea/duellica. I suspect by the markings and flatness of carapace that it is T. atrica but I have not seen a confirmed image yet of T. saeva

I read somewhere that T. atrica were distinguishable from other tegens by a flatter carapace. Most noticeable in a lateral profile image.

Any chance you know the body length in MM and DLS in approx inches of that girl? Either way tho, awesome funnel webber! Makes me remember why I want to visit Europe! She also has a very unusual style of webbing, making me even more curious.

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Interesting Tegen. Definitely not Tegenaria gigantea/duellica. I suspect by the markings and flatness of carapace that it is T. atrica but I have not seen a confirmed image yet of T. saeva

I read somewhere that T. atrica were distinguishable from other tegens by a flatter carapace. Most noticeable in a lateral profile image.

Any chance you know the body length in MM and DLS in approx inches of that girl? Either way tho, awesome funnel webber! Makes me remember why I want to visit Europe! She also has a very unusual style of webbing, making me even more curious.
I have 5-6 Tegenaria I'm no good with the IDing as can't find much info on it. I also had an absolute monster in my shed with a slightly red overtone on the abdomen rather than the brown/black (although the red is more a burgundy) I went out to get a picture of her last night to find a D.lapidosus scurrying away from her web and haven't seen her since (didn't know they actively hunt other spiders?) I'm hoping she was creating an eggsack cus she was HUGE hopefully wasn't killed.

As for size the one in the pics molted two days ago I'll get a size of her when she's hardened up she looks about 2.5" currently with a body of roughly 20mm.

You mean the S.florentina? Has a funny web style? That pic was taken when she was out of her usual spot I keep her in a small KK for some reason she's webbed the top of the KK below the lid and has trip lines all over the sub lol I think she might be preparing to
Molt I'll get some pictures up soon.

If you were referring to the webbing of the Tegenaria I've been testing there versatility for webbing in arboreal type setups and it works nice they're like the C.cyaneopubescens of the true spider lol will make a web to fit whatever style of setup they're given. Also one of my other Tegenaria molted out into a ultimate male three days ago so I might pair him with my larger females, just not sure how to introduce him cus as soon as I put him in the setup he's Gunna be straight on her web and I don't want her to mistake him for prey lol.

I might be busy tonight not sure yet, if not I'll get some snaps And upload them, if you want any specific shots lemme know and I'll see what I can do!

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
I have 5-6 Tegenaria I'm no good with the IDing as can't find much info on it. I also had an absolute monster in my shed with a slightly red overtone on the abdomen rather than the brown/black (although the red is more a burgundy) I went out to get a picture of her last night to find a D.lapidosus scurrying away from her web and haven't seen her since (didn't know they actively hunt other spiders?) I'm hoping she was creating an eggsack cus she was HUGE hopefully wasn't killed.

As for size the one in the pics molted two days ago I'll get a size of her when she's hardened up she looks about 2.5" currently with a body of roughly 20mm.

You mean the S.florentina? Has a funny web style? That pic was taken when she was out of her usual spot I keep her in a small KK for some reason she's webbed the top of the KK below the lid and has trip lines all over the sub lol I think she might be preparing to
Molt I'll get some pictures up soon.

If you were referring to the webbing of the Tegenaria I've been testing there versatility for webbing in arboreal type setups and it works nice they're like the C.cyaneopubescens of the true spider lol will make a web to fit whatever style of setup they're given. Also one of my other Tegenaria molted out into a ultimate male three days ago so I might pair him with my larger females, just not sure how to introduce him cus as soon as I put him in the setup he's Gunna be straight on her web and I don't want her to mistake him for prey lol.

I might be busy tonight not sure yet, if not I'll get some snaps And upload them, if you want any specific shots lemme know and I'll see what I can do!
D. lapidosus is a Gnaphosid, they definitely hunt other spiders. Some, like the white tail, are very good spider stalkers. Tegenaria often fall victim to Gnaphosids.

I was talking about the Tegenarias web. It's not the position, its the structure. Usually the silk is sheet like, in your image it looks like a giant cobweb! Very interesting. As for breeding I can help here. You have to ease the big boy onto her web. If you drop him on the web it may be game over as he wont have a chance to ID himself as a male Tegenaria and will flail or sit still like prey would. I usually put them in a small container, and put the edge of the small container up to the entrance of the females enclosure, let him walk into her enclosure, and you should see some bowhicawow wow within 10 minutes. They don't waste time!

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice specimens there. Just wanted to point out that the Tegenaria is most definitely T. saeva considering its location. This species is, however, basically identical to T. duellica and the two have been known to hybridize where their ranges overlap (in the Uk, and not in your case).
T. atrica is, at present, rarely and sporadically recorded (imported) around the Uk but not known to be yet established anywhere in the country.

By the way, where did you read about the flatter carapace? As far as i know T. saeva, T. duellica and T. atrica form a group of extremely similiar species which are basically impossible to tell apart based on macroscopic characters.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Nice specimens there. Just wanted to point out that the Tegenaria is most definitely T. saeva considering its location. This species is, however, basically identical to T. duellica and the two have been known to hybridize where their ranges overlap (in the Uk, and not in your case).
T. atrica is, at present, rarely and sporadically recorded (imported) around the Uk but not known to be yet established anywhere in the country.

By the way, where did you read about the flatter carapace? As far as i know T. saeva, T. duellica and T. atrica form a group of extremely similiar species which are basically impossible to tell apart based on macroscopic characters.
If I recalled which paper I'd definitely share, I'm not conclusive on that though, and hope I didn't word it as such.

I agree, most Tegenaria spp. are tough to tell apart to a laymen, and even some experts. With a decade of raising and breeding the PNW species however, I can see small differences. With enough time looking at the spiders, you just know. There are definitely small differences in the prosoma/especially carapace. The problem with IDing comes from never looking at two specimens at once, instead seeing one specimen this day, the other the next day, where if you put them side by side differences become visible.

I could make the same statement about T. agrestis and T. gigantea and no expert would argue they cannot be distinguished for certain without a scope (females), but, every specimen I've put under the scope and verified with SONA has been exactly what I assumed it to be. You get it right 100% of the time enough times, you grow confident in saying you can tell them apart.

All I can say about his images are look at the carapace. That is without a doubt not the clean arrow marking that T. gigantea has. I wont disagree with you though, morphology is impacted by region, especially markings. Let's say I was 99.99% sure that spider was not a T. gigantea. I have read many papers about the hybridization, and know full well that the two species were considered the same for awhile.

Again, I don't necessarily disagree with your stance.

---------- Post added 06-20-2012 at 08:26 PM ----------

Here we go, found a UK EOL image of T. gigantea carapace. http://eol.org/pages/1200106/overview See how his spiders markings form a cross, while this ones form an arrow. I am yet, in a decade, to have seen a T. gigantea with carapace markings like Jays, this is why it jumped out at me. I'd also be curious on the body length, more importantly the opisthosoma length, which looks longer then any T. gigantea I've seen as well.

I'll add a confirmed T. atrica image as well, to show how this species too, appears to have different carapace markings.

http://www.eurospiders.com/Tegenaria_atrica.htm

I've talked with the individual who took those images, and these atrica were all keyed out. You will notice the similar elongated opithosoma, as well as yet again, a different pattern on the carapace.

With biology you gotta take the safe stance, a perfect example why is T. savea & T. gigantea being confused as one species. But on a forum, You can use your wisdom a little more freely I think ^_~

As long as you don't over do it :)

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
Great info dropped I've just found a site I can use for IDs which is helpful.

The web is kinda sheet like she's made a flat sheet at the bottom which has 1-2 tubes reaching up to another layer of web which isn't as sheet like. I got a couple pictures last night but I'll try get some good shots of the carapace for you later on as I have work off tomorrow I can focus more time on it.

Also about the MM as he only molted 4 days ago when should he start making sperm webs (rough estimation?) it's possible he has already but I just haven't witnessed it, I just don't wanna introduce the poor guy when he ain't packing the goods haha.

Edit: just got home to find my Segestria florentina has also dropped an eggsack, quite a large one too, thought she was acting a lil strange lol. So I now currently have A.ferox, T.ruricola and D.crocata sitting on eggsacks my D.lapidosus eggsack went foul sadly.

@Ciphor her Abdomen measures 12-13mm carapace of around 8mm DLS of 2.5-2.7"

Last edited:

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
ok some updated pics....

first T.ruricola with eggsack:

my smallest Tegenaria sp.:

the larger Tegenaria few closer up pictures for you Ciphor:

my MM Tegenaria:

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Well, whatever your spiders are, they are beautiful and thank you for the great photos, and measurements.

I'll add the largest female DLS I have encountered is 2.55 inches, never 2.6 or 2.7.

IMG_20110901_222732.jpg

Tarantula_Hawk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I totally agree with you in regards to identifications on forums. However I'm still kind of sceptical in this specific case with these Tegenaria sp. (atrica - duellica/saeva), even if I do believe there are superficial differences between the two species. I've bred plenty too over the course of the years (never T. atrica though) and I have seen the variability that can be present in one single species, and throughout the life cycle of a single individual. I wouldn't be too confident in judging the pattern in a young specimen like Curious' one. Same thing with the abdomen length, which is extremely variable based on the condition of the single specimen (in this case it was well fed and in premolt).
Also, as i said earlier, in the UK one is extremely unlikely to find T. atrica anywhere, especially in the south.

I'll add two of my photos of two different young specimens of confirmed T. duellica (from London).

#2 Lateral photo showing the flat prosoma. I don't believe it to be a key feature in distinguishing these species.

And one last photo for the sake of it, since this is a picture thread. :D
The first specimen chilling on its web.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Nice looking tegens. And TH, I really don't disagree with you, chances are if I was in your shoes I'd have said the same thing to me.

I've been looking through my papers to see if I can find the one that made this claim. It's a vague recollection, It might have been something I heard in conversation.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
One thing I've come to accept with spiders is that you don't always have to be able to identify the exact species in order to enjoy them or take care of them.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
One thing I've come to accept with spiders is that you don't always have to be able to identify the exact species in order to enjoy them or take care of them.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
A little Southern flavor, Hogna carolinensis, Florida panhandle...found under MV lights at a hotel. A shade under 4" and oddly tolerant of my mammalian probings.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Ciphor, I wasn't ready for that, haha. Thanks, paassatt...here's a few more from the FL panhandle trip:

Micrathena sagittata

Micrathena gracilis

Dolomedes…molted MM while in shipping(tenebrosus or albineus or?)

Scytodes thoracica(?) w/ eggs