True Hogna carolinensis

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
A ventral shot will help to confirm this. If it is totally black, then it is most likely Hogna carolinensis. Otherwise, I do not have any idea on what other species this could be. Hopefully @Smokehound714 can chime in on this.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Looks like H. carolinensis to me. Could be totally wrong though.

Last edited:

ReignofInvertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll chip in here, although I agree with the others: appears to be carolinensis. I've become pretty good at visually identifying Lycosids by their dorsal colorations, and I can say these specimens are not lenta and probably aren't coloradensis. That being said you never know for sure without a ventral.

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
Thanks everybody, I really appreciated the help on ID-ing these spiders. One of my females had laid an egg sack that hatched a few months ago. Sadly, because of me not being sure on what to do and keeping them together for too long, many of the slings killed and ate each other. I still have around six, but I feel pretty bad. Again, thanks for your help, everyone!

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Hey at least you still have 6! I actually found one in Connecticut with 6 legs in a major city which blew my mind. It was a sling and I should have kept it.

Hercules Hernandez

Arachnosquire
Hey at least you still have 6! I actually found one in Connecticut with 6 legs in a major city which blew my mind. It was a sling and I should have kept it.
Yeah, they’re a pretty cool species and I really recommend keeping them. The fact that you found one in a city is astonishing! Lol
They’re literally all over the place here in South Texas. Literally all over the place. If you ever happen to find yourself in south Texas, message me and I’ll be sure to tell you a few spots where they’re plentiful.

wolfs79

Arachnolord
Old Timer
http://imgur.com/t0IQPq5

http://imgur.com/Nms1Vxu

I have around 12, maybe a couple more, of these wolf spiders that I’m hoping are true H. carolinensis. Some are lighter in color, darker in color, bigger and more defensive, but they all have the same patterns on their abdomens. Are these true Hogna carolinensis?

Good chance you have true Carolinensis here is a pick of my large female she actually is in premolt

Attachments

Dawnes1221

Arachnopeon
I just stumbled upon this thread and feel like this is the right thread to ask: any idea what species Hogna this is? Please let me know if it is appropriate to interject here with my question. Thank you!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I just stumbled upon this thread and feel like this is the right thread to ask: any idea what species Hogna this is? Please let me know if it is appropriate to interject here with my question. Thank you!
baltimoriana, easily identified by unique carapace pattern

Dawnes1221

Arachnopeon
@Smokehound714 @wolfs79 AMAZING! Thank you, it helps to learn as much as I can about my new guest. His name is blade :D I am just blown away right now at how easy it is to fall in love with bugs, beautiful night shots @wolfs79! Is it a regular red colored light bulb you are using? I almost impulse bought a true blacklight light for my new arachnid friend's homes but stopped short on the purchase, until I learn more on what is best or preffered by the experts.