``TRICHODERMA`` safe of T's??

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Hi, Guys I am pretty new to this form so, here it goes. I was using coco fibre
``dirt`` kind. Then I changed to the chips sm-med. Now at the bottom of the cages I get mold with chips being moist and no air moving and little air pockets. I got this stuff called Coco Canna made from 100% natural coco grind with nothing bad added (pest etc). When I read down the bag though it said it had this special fungus added ``trichoderma`` to deter ground diseases in plants. Do you guys think it is still safe to use for my T's? It might even help with the mold? I only want whats best for them. The other thing I like about the Coco Canna is you don't have to soak it either it is already expanded. Just spray it to make it moist. Thanks guys I really have to change what they are on now asap! :? (I really don't want to use just soil)

joes2828

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I personally would say go back to the coco fiber and just put some isopods in for the mold.

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Trichoderma?? safe

Hi, Thanks for the reply but, that is what I am asking about the coco fibre
I want to use called `Coco Canna` has that `trichoderma` in it. Is that safe to use with T's? Someone did tell me that that fungus `trichoderma` is in just dirt outside? I am not really worried about the mold it will be gone
when I clean the cages out.
Has anyone ever used this product `Coco Canna`? anyways It looks like really good stuff.:?

pwilson5

Arachnoknight
Hi, Thanks for the reply but, that is what I am asking about the coco fibre
I want to use called `Coco Canna` has that `trichoderma` in it. Is that safe to use with T's? Someone did tell me that that fungus `trichoderma` is in just dirt outside? I am not really worried about the mold it will be gone
when I clean the cages out.
Has anyone ever used this product `Coco Canna`? anyways It looks like really good stuff.:?

cleaning the cages wont do anything to prevent mold if you have poor ventilation and too much humidy.. i would increase ventilation

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I keep thing a bit dry in my room and i never have mold. And a few isopods in the enclosures that need a bit more moisture is a good thing to have.

IMO, it is better to play it safe than sorry. With out doing an internet search or asking my favorite chemical guru DrAce, I would say don't use something with and additive. It is not "necessary".

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Special fungus??

Hi, Guys I am pretty new to this form so, here it goes. I was using coco fibre
``dirt`` kind. Then I changed to the chips sm-med. Now at the bottom of the cages I get mold with chips being moist and no air moving and little air pockets. I got this stuff called Coco Canna made from 100% natural coco grind with nothing bad added (pest etc). When I read down the bag though it said it had this special fungus added ``trichoderma`` to deter ground diseases in plants. Do you guys think it is still safe to use for my T's? It might even help with the mold? I only want whats best for them. The other thing I like about the Coco Canna is you don't have to soak it either it is already expanded. Just spray it to make it moist. Thanks guys I really have to change what they are on now asap! :? (I really don't want to use just soil)
Hi, Thanks for the reply but, maybe I am not wording this right? I really want to know if the fungus stuff added to my coco fibre`TRICHODERMA is alright to still use? Don't get me wrong I am worried about the mold but, I know what to do about that. Its the stuff in the coco fibre that I am wondering about and if anyone has used this Coco Canna it is called. Thanks :?

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I am new to all this stuff and added that quote in my last post, sorry guys. I just saw that persons last post (Travis), thanks that sounds good to me. I will just use the bricks at the pet store for pets, xo-Terra something or other. By the way what is this (isopods) what is it and where do I get it? Thanks again:?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Hi, Thanks for the reply but, maybe I am not wording this right? I really want to know if the fungus stuff added to my coco fibre`TRICHODERMA is alright to still use? Don't get me wrong I am worried about the mold but, I know what to do about that. Its the stuff in the coco fibre that I am wondering about and if anyone has used this Coco Canna it is called. Thanks :?
Trichoderma is Fungus, sorry I didn't understand what you wrote at first. To eearly for me perhaps. I would stay away from it. I don't like the thought of adding something that is riddled with fungi and spores, especially since we try to keep such things out off our enclosures. Fact is if the fungus got out of control you don't know what effects it may or may not have on your T, nor will anyone on here be able to tell you "definitively" that it is or is not going to harm your T. Don't use it....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichoderma

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Thanks for your reply. I am new to all this stuff and added that quote in my last post, sorry guys. I just saw that persons last post (Travis), thanks that sounds good to me. I will just use the bricks at the pet stores of pets, xo-Terra something or other. By the way what is this (isopods) what is it and where do I get it? Thanks again:?

Isopods are rolly pollies, you can find them in moist flower beds and near streams and river banks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oniscus_asellus

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Hi, Thanks again Travis for your help. You are right just thought I would ask about it. What is this `isopods` and where do I get it? It is to early for me to. lol I am watching the soccer though

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Fast

Boy, it might be early but, i can't keep up with your posts. lol I still don't really know what these rolli polli things are though?:?

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Mold??

Thanks again for your reply. I did look at the pictures of the (isopods). We call them potato bugs. You mean you put those little bugs in the spiders cages and they eat the mold?? As we are on mold how can you really get away from it? You soak the bricks of the coco fibre to expanded in water, then put it in the cages. You have to keep the humitiy up, then you spray around the cages. Maybe my trouble is I spray the cages to much? Like everyday I was doing it, I am always afraid my T's will dry out. Maybe I should cut back on that and not really spray the coco fibre just the sides of the cages or I do have some moss in the corners it is not REALLY wet just moist like everything in the cages. I should let the moss really dry out and when I see that know it is time to spray around. Not just do it everyday no matter what. Thoughts anyone??:?

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Just a thought

Hi, I did just look up this Exo-Terra stuff looks good, what is better for the T's the `Jungle Earth`or `Platation Soil`both look good to me but, which one would be better for them? Thanks again :?

joes2828

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, I did just look up this Exo-Terra stuff looks good, what is better for the T's the `Jungle Earth`or `Platation Soil`both look good to me but, which one would be better for them? Thanks again :?
IMO, I'd say plantation soil because the jungle earth is more like a bark mixutre. As for the trichoderma, one species of the fungus can potentially help with the re-hardening of arthropods after molts, but I would agree with travis and just stay away from it and use the exo-terra soil.

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Thanks

Hi,Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be the soil type, just thought I would ask. As for the fungus stuff yes, I think it is a good thing to stay away from it. What about my other ?? the mold. I can't see how you can get away from it? You have to put stuff moist in the cages. Any thoughts on what I said in my other post? Let it dry out more and spray around less, maybe when I see the stuff dry or the moss dry? :?

joes2828

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be the soil type, just thought I would ask. As for the fungus stuff yes, I think it is a good thing to stay away from it. What about my other ?? the mold. I can't see how you can get away from it? You have to put stuff moist in the cages. Any thoughts on what I said in my other post? Let it dry out more and spray around less, maybe when I see the stuff dry or the moss dry? :?
Partially, it depends on where you live. Certain areas are more susceptible to mold growth than others. If you live in an area where mold is constantly growning in your containers, just add the isopods or regularly remove the mold...or both

SNAILSRULE

Arachnopeon
Mold??

Hi, Thanks for all the help and replys. I did go out lastnight and bought the Exo-Terra soil the `Platation` kind. It looks like really good stuff. I find it better then the coco fibre brick in the plant stores. The lady in the pet store said it is what they use and find it best for mold. They get it less with this stuff then other products they sell in the store. That was nice to know but, has anyone else found this true? I mean you still have to soak the brick of stuff and put it in the cages. What I did was I didn't really let it soak to long when I saw it was pretty expanded I took it out of the water so, it was not to wet. Sound good to anyone? In the post above that person (sorry I can't see your name right now) said just take the mold spot out. Is that still ok I mean shouldn't you clean all the cage? And sorry guys I just can't see putting those bugs in the T's cages. lol Thanks again for the help :O)

joes2828

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, Thanks for all the help and replys. I did go out lastnight and bought the Exo-Terra soil the `Platation` kind. It looks like really good stuff. I find it better then the coco fibre brick in the plant stores. The lady in the pet store said it is what they use and find it best for mold. They get it less with this stuff then other products they sell in the store. That was nice to know but, has anyone else found this true? I mean you still have to soak the brick of stuff and put it in the cages. What I did was I didn't really let it soak to long when I saw it was pretty expanded I took it out of the water so, it was not to wet. Sound good to anyone? In the post above that person (sorry I can't see your name right now) said just take the mold spot out. Is that still ok I mean shouldn't you clean all the cage? And sorry guys I just can't see putting those bugs in the T's cages. lol Thanks again for the help :O)
You can still clean the cage, and it could possibly increase the time before mold starts growing in the enclosure, but it will not prevent it. You want to soak the brick until it easily falls apart. If it is so wet that if you squeeze it, water comes out, then it needs to be spread out and dried until it is damp but not soaking wet (depending on the T). As for the isopods, you don't have to put them in, but they really do help.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Isopods are rolly pollies, you can find them in moist flower beds and near streams and river banks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oniscus_asellus
tho may i point out you do NOT wanna go out in ur back yard, grab some rolli polli and put them in ur T tank. usually you want to order captive bred isopods so that way u know they are safe to use. the ones in the yard could be full of nastiness like parasites, bacteria, pesticides, fertilizers and any other icky crap u find outside.