Trenor's Photo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I just got my second B. Smithi yesterday day. My first one was DOA.
Yeah, I've lost a few slings to shipping. Glad your new one got there ok. I have two B.smithi right now and both turned out to be females. That are a great species to keep and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

If I can help you out with anything let me know. :)

MKG

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I've lost a few slings to shipping. Glad your new one got there ok. I have two B.smithi right now and both turned out to be females. That are a great species to keep and I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

If I can help you out with anything let me know. :)
Thank you! I appreciate the offer and I'm sure I'm going to need advice along the way:)

MKG

Arachnopeon
I know this picture is probably not clear enough but can you tell the sex? I was told he is a probably a male????

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I know this picture is probably not clear enough but can you tell the sex? I was told he is a probably a male????
I can't tell sorry. I'd wait for a molt and sex it then.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Well, I rehoused my C.fimbriatus tonight. I was going to wait till this weekend but everything was ready and I had some time.

Here is it's new enclosure. It had 5 inches of sub to play with and a lot of places to web. The cork hide goes way into the sub.

Here it is in it's new home.

AshS

Arachnosquire
Looking through this thread was a bad idea when my wife has told me "no more than two Tarantulas"
seriously great photos!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Looking through this thread was a bad idea when my wife has told me "no more than two Tarantulas"
seriously great photos!
Haha, yeah. They are fun to photograph. You should show her a few of the pretty ones like the C.versicolors etc. A lot of women like the way the look and respond well to them. maybe she'll let you have a few more. :D

AshS

Arachnosquire
Haha, yeah. They are fun to photograph. You should show her a few of the pretty ones like the C.versicolors etc. A lot of women like the way the look and respond well to them. maybe she'll let you have a few more. :D
Haha! She has cracked, she said I can get one more. Now Just got to decide what to get next.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
How do you go about keeping them closed? I'd considered magnets, tried velcro, and finally went with the transparent picture hooks you see on the side secured with rubber bands. They work pretty nicely.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
How do you go about keeping them closed? I'd considered magnets, tried velcro, and finally went with the transparent picture hooks you see on the side secured with rubber bands. They work pretty nicely.
I thought about doing something similar the only problem is the side hooks took up extra room on my shelf. I used some large elastic links to hold them closed for a while.

The easiest way for me is to drill a hole in the lid and front of the enclosure and use twist ties to secure it. Not as nice as a latch but it works really well.

Cordialis

Arachnopeon
@Trenor , what the heck are you doing to us (i.e. me lol)?! Not only does your pictures sell in like every tarantula you have, but now I need to update the lenses to my Canon DSLR as well... ;)

You are a danger to my wallet, mister! I swear each time I click a post of yours, my wallet screams in agony of its impending doom :rofl:

Seriously though, your pictures are incredible! Keep em coming, no matter how many threat messages my wallet may try to send your way (after all, I don't know what that bugger is up to when I'm sleeping). ;) It can't hurt you anyways, it's just a wallet. One made out of neoprene none the less.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I thought about doing something similar the only problem is the side hooks took up extra room on my shelf. I used some large elastic links to hold them closed for a while.

The easiest way for me is to drill a hole in the lid and front of the enclosure and use twist ties to secure it. Not as nice as a latch but it works really well.
Just to offer another solution that has worked well for me, I've found that gaffer tape is ideal for holding acrylic enclosures shut. It's quite strong, leaves no residue on the enclosure, and can be pulled off and re-applied over and over and over. I just use a piece about 4 inches long...2 inches on the lid, and 2 inches on the side. Works like a charm, and doesn't look like too much of an eyesore either.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/20008-REG/General_Brand_Gaffer_Cloth_Tape.html

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Just to offer another solution that has worked well for me, I've found that gaffer tape is ideal for holding acrylic enclosures shut. It's quite strong, leaves no residue on the enclosure, and can be pulled off and re-applied over and over and over. I just use a piece about 4 inches long...2 inches on the lid, and 2 inches on the side. Works like a charm, and doesn't look like too much of an eyesore either.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/20008-REG/General_Brand_Gaffer_Cloth_Tape.html
Yeah, I used some tape early when I was still looking for a permanent solution. I like the twist ties best so far because they don't cause a lot of disturbance when opening the enclosure. That way, if I have a tarantula out in the open I want a photo of, I can usually un-loop it and ease open the lid without it knowing. That's makes for better photos and the tie still holds the lid tight on those shoe boxes.

Thanks for the reply. I'm always looking for new enclosure mod ideas.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Twist ties are a good idea too, if you can drill some holes and make that work. Thanks for that idea as well.

I've also thought of using small carabiners in the same way you're using the twist ties. It could be basically silent if done right...might experiment with that and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.