tree frog question

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
okay, I just found a really really cool tree frog, its solid grey, no markings except for a small green patch near each ear.

Theyre all over my back yard at the moment, but this guy was on my door when i got home, so im going to try to keep him.

I know the frog keeping basics, but im not sure what the best set up is for a tree frog. I usually keep bullfrogs and pac-man frogs.

any tips?

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Tree frogs need a rather large tall tank. I keep my white's in a 25gal high. Since theyre wild caught you have to make sure the tank is big enough so they dont hit their head when they try to jump coz they can jump quite hard.
And provide some obstacles for them to climb........however they can survive in a much more basic setup. That would just be ideal.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks!

what about substrate? hes got about 1/5 inches of peat, some branches and a huge water bowl, since most of the tree frogs stick to the lillies near our pool.

I notice the substrate is sticking to him though and they absorb a lot through their skin, should i take it out?

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not sure about what species you have but mine are white's tree frogs, they spend very little time in the water or on the substrate so it rarely sticks to them. mine have been on peat for over a year now.

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You probably have a cuban tree frog. Don't mix with other species, the chemical on their skin is toxic to other amphibians. Add a water bowl big enough for the frog to sit in and crickets. The substrate is your choice, they will perch on the side of the tank anyway. Branches are more important than substrate.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a cuban tree frog in louisiana?

Ill get some pics soon, hes a really od frog, he spends half of his time on the lower branches, and the other half in the water dish or on the edge of it.

is it possible for tree frogs and toads to cross breed? there are so many frogs breeding in my swimming pool that it wouldnt surprise me, and thats what this guy looks like, pics soon. In the mean time im gonna look around online and see if i can id the little guy.

He's adjusting really well to captivity. Ive had a few WC tree frogs and they didnt eat, this little guy is a pig!

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?recnum=AR0020

okay, thats our native grey tree frog, but he doesnt have the yellow on the underside, the under eye patch is green, the frogs body color goes from almost white to a medium shade of grey & his markings are similar, but theyre are a dark grey outline, and inside the lines the color is the same as the rest of the frogs body, and his body isnt built the same way.

His "croak" doesnt sound like either of the grey tree frog croaks on that site either,

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/treefrog.htm

his underside has a similar coloration to this frog, but again his build is a little different especially the head.

http://schrubbi.de/Osteopilus.htm

its not that one either, but OMG! i want one!