Trapdoor spider enclosure - cricket laying eggs.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Yay, or Nay? I have a female who has been laying eggs in the soil by the trapdoor spider's ...well, door.

Self sustaining enclosure at some point :D or, pull out the eggs? It's by the sock/den, shes using her needle like deal to lay in the soil.

I don't think baby crickets would do a dern thing negative to this trapdoor spider, but - thoughts?

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
They very well could. When the spider is molting, it cant do ANYTHING to defend itself. Even against baby crickets. They have to eat and grow, too. Best thing to do is take em out. Even if said spider isnt molting right now or even close to it, itll be smarter to get em out now instead of leaving em in until its too late.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Didn't know best way to extract, right by sock and hard to reach in there, so i took out the cricket and pulverized the soil with my tongs best I could.

Thanks for the advice!

basin79

ArachnoGod
Yay, or Nay? I have a female who has been laying eggs in the soil by the trapdoor spider's ...well, door.

Self sustaining enclosure at some point :D or, pull out the eggs? It's by the sock/den, shes using her needle like deal to lay in the soil.

I don't think baby crickets would do a dern thing negative to this trapdoor spider, but - thoughts?
I'd get them out. Crickets are absolute bar stewards.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
When I used crickets, I used to feed the females first so they couldn't lay eggs, they can be a right pain to get rid of(eggs), try feeding the females first then the males, hope it makes a difference in future.

Last edited:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
its not safe in it's sock?
If it wants a meal, itll find its way in. Most people dont keep crickets with substrate so the fact that they CAN dig usually goes over looked. Especially if they feel something they can get under. Also, burrowing species dont always molt in their burrows. Idk if this is a tarantula or a "true spider" but I'd imagine itd be safe to assume either may decide to molt outside the "sock".

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
If it wants a meal, itll find its way in. Most people dont keep crickets with substrate so the fact that they CAN dig usually goes over looked. Especially if they feel something they can get under. Also, burrowing species dont always molt in their burrows. Idk if this is a tarantula or a "true spider" but I'd imagine itd be safe to assume either may decide to molt outside the "sock".

Ctenizidae
are also Mygalomorphs but they are not Tarantulas.

Phases

Arachnoknight
I have a Cyclocosmia Truncata - I don't think it's actually a T, sorry :(

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking

You never know with crickets, I once had this happen in one of my centipede enclosures. There was hundreds of tiny crickets running around, at first glance I thought they were mites and freaked out.

When I removed my Scolopendra deehanni and got a closer look I was happily surprised to see they were just super tiny crickets. I did remove them as they served no purpose other then being an irritant, and if they starve who knows what they're going to try and chew on. Better safe then sorry ;)

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
When I used crickets, I used to feed the females first so they couldn't lay eggs, they can be a right pain to get rid of(eggs), try feeding the females first then the males, hope it makes a difference in future.
I always fed off the males first when I used them because my wife complained about the noise. My fish got to eat a lot of them.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I always fed off the males first when I used them because my wife complained about the noise. My fish got to eat a lot of them.
Yeah, the relentless chirping drove my partner nuts as well, I can sympathise, we ended up using silent crickets, but now I use dubias as I have an established colony.

spotropaicsav

Arachnobaron
I would remove, had this happen in a tree frog enclosure a long time ago, and best thing I did was a rehouse. Sounds like yours is not at that point yet though, good luck.