Trapdoor spider containers...

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I was thinking of making a novel container for a trapdoor by using a glass cutter to open the neck of a liquor bottle (Woodford Reserve or Caol Ila) and then using it to house a small trapdoor...my thinking was that an appropriately s haped bottle might let you see the little guy's burrow so you have more than just a pet jar of dirt...you could get in with forceps for housecleaning and leave it open for ventilation...

This all hinges on a trapdoor species that can't climb glass (my understanding is that some can and some can't) but...anyone ever tried similar?

LasidoraGT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and if it falls over and breaks when nobody is home. im not saying its not a good or bad idea but its just sumthing that can happen and that would really not be cool to come home and find a dead trapdoor spider on ur floor or not be able to find it because it ra away

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most likely if it uses the glass "tunnel" it will line it with webbing and you wont be catching mush a view. BUT ...IF the trappy got comfy and decided to go at it, you'd have a great view (and documentation opportunity) of her tunnel webbing secrets. ;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sounds cool to me. Here's what I keep the one and only Trap I have in. If you try it, I want to see some pics of that. Another idea I've been thinking about is an antfarm design. Maybe even putting the container on it's side and being able to slide one of the sides off if you need to look for a sac or see if it's ok for some reason. But like was mentioned, they heavily web the sides of their hole. And they seem to do it frequently just to re-line it, at least the one I have does that.

bolt619

Arachnopeon
Off topic but I need your guys' help. I just purchased a Malaysian black trapdoor. Does anyone know how long it will take for him to setup his trapdoor? Should I keep him in the dark? Thanks

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was thinking of making a novel container for a trapdoor by using a glass cutter to open the neck of a liquor bottle (Woodford Reserve or Caol Ila) and then using it to house a small trapdoor...my thinking was that an appropriately s haped bottle might let you see the little guy's burrow so you have more than just a pet jar of dirt...you could get in with forceps for housecleaning and leave it open for ventilation...

This all hinges on a trapdoor species that can't climb glass (my understanding is that some can and some can't) but...anyone ever tried similar?
If you can make it work, go for it.
I kept a mature female African red in a Moen Puretouch pitcher for five years.
What kind of trapdoor(s) are you keeping? Barychelids are probably the only ones you need to worry about climbing smooth surfaces.

Here are some tips you might find useful:
Try to prefab the burrow so the lower portion is against the side.
(See images below)
Cover the visible area with something dark. I use electric tape. Super 33 works best.
Prefabbing the burrow is less stressful for the spider and helps it adapt faster.
It also makes it easier for you to observe the spider. However, as mentioned above, the spider will most likely line it with heavy webbing.

An example of what you might observe: the African red is eating a cricket. After she flicks the remains out, she cleans up the leftovers, and then adds some silk to the burrow walls.

Attachments

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Jeff-- I'm actually not keeping trappies right now--I just have a passion for bourbon and single malt, and was trying to think of something creative to do with some of the (in my opinion) beautiful bottles i've accumulated:D

I think trapdoor spiders are intriguing, i've never really investigated though for the same reason I don't keep burrowing tarantulas--I'd have to have some setup so that I don't just have a tank of "pet dirt"

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Jeff-- I'm actually not keeping trappies right now--I just have a passion for bourbon and single malt, and was trying to think of something creative to do with some of the (in my opinion) beautiful bottles i've accumulated:D

I think trapdoor spiders are intriguing, i've never really investigated though for the same reason I don't keep burrowing tarantulas--I'd have to have some setup so that I don't just have a tank of "pet dirt"
Yes, I can relate. I had a small hole drilled in my 3L Duvel bottle near the base so I could make a lamp out of it. The guys at the glass shop didn't beleive me and thought I was going to make something else...!

Well, if you do decide to acquire a trapdoor spider, the 'African Black' is probably the best one to get. They are not very aggresive, good eaters, and adapt quickly when a good, proportional burrow is made for them. All of mine made trapdoors and fine tuned their burrows their first night in them.

Keep in mind the images above are about as good as it gets when keeping trapdoors (and keeping them happy), but most of the time the 'window' will end up webbed, which isn't much different than a bottle of dirt.

Feeding time is always cool, though.

tacoma0680

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get all my trap door cages at walmart they are really cheap and look great. Not mention they are really tall so you can pack the substrate in there for a great dig its looks great.