Trapdoor devastation!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OMG! What is it, a fox or a skunk? I have some Trapdoor spiders in my yard, some are on the big-ish side. Here are some males that come out during cool rainy/misty weather on the back porch. It doesn't matter what season as long as it's rainy and cool, which only happens in some seasons haha. Well some diddlydoo was eating them all!, hundreds of holes everywhere with the spider's lining ripped out, it was a bad scene. I caught the diddly. hmmmm, yes, how to get a skunk out of a trap. I had to throw the tarp away, and maybe my boots, maybe some clothes, maybe my truck.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
@Galapoheros

Are you in central Texas (Travis Co.) by chance? Every time I read or hear about someone finding trapdoors in their yard they are usually in Austin.

Klyvek

Arachnopeon
I'd sell a pinky toe to have trapdoors in my backyard.
I’d have to agree with you there. Can you imagine walking outside just to see a wild trapdoor open up and attack a cricket? That would be incredible.

Mjb30

Arachnosquire
I’d have to agree with you there. Can you imagine walking outside just to see a wild trapdoor open up and attack a cricket? That would be incredible.
Me: "Honey, I'm just going to feed my collection, I might be a while"
Wife: "OK!"
ME: *goes out of backdoor with a headtorch, sturdy shoes and a barrel full of crickets*

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Yups. Skunks are serious grubbers. Shame you had a conflict since they are so good at grub/worm/larvae pest control. Some orchards import skunks.

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
@Galapoheros

Are you in central Texas (Travis Co.) by chance? Every time I read or hear about someone finding trapdoors in their yard they are usually in Austin.
I live in a county adjacent to Travis but I've also seen trapdoors in east texas in Brazos county when I was a kid, it looked like a smaller species though, shiny black, short legs, typical trap. They are so hidden, it's really hard to know they are there. I lived in this house 9 or 10 years before I even realized they were in my yard. Here is a fraction of some of the hole linings that skunk dug up.