Transferring baby scorps from their mom's enclosure

lanzaey

Arachnopeon
My baby Heterometros S. scorps just got off their mother's back yesterday. I am unsure of how to handle them without hurting them so I have not yet transferred them to a different enclosure.

I have fed the mother to avoid her getting hungry and turning on her babies as soon as I noticed the last one off her back. She caught the superworm and took its head, and then proceeded to bring it to her young who feasted on it like a horde of ants.

Any tips on how to get them safely transferred to their enclosure is appreciated.

Also, should I feed the mother again? I feel that she might be hungry because she had none of that worm from yesterday. Thanks, xoxo

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
I've started moving my scorpions with two plastic spoons. It's pretty easy in my tank since it's sand, but when mine are on a spoon they sit still.

lanzaey

Arachnopeon
I've started moving my scorpions with two plastic spoons. It's pretty easy in my tank since it's sand, but when mine are on a spoon they sit still.
Thanks! In recent development, I can see them hiding in the roots of my live plant, which is on a pot that I buried under the substrate. My plan is to take it out and hopefully the baby scorps with it. Wish me luck

Last edited:

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just gently tail them or push them on to a finger. They're barely strong enough to puncture the skin on your fingers at that size.

lanzaey

Arachnopeon
I just gently tail them or push them on to a finger. They're barely strong enough to puncture the skin on your fingers at that size.
I have transferred all of them to a separate enclosure. However, I have noticed one baby scorp that has been canibalized by the other babies. I suspect it was already weak to begin with. How do I minimize the risk for this?

squidkid

Arachnoknight
I have transferred all of them to a separate enclosure. However, I have noticed one baby scorp that has been canibalized by the other babies. I suspect it was already weak to begin with. How do I minimize the risk for this?
i would provide more food or seperate them from each other in individual deli cups