Training and Diets for Cats and Dogs

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Friends, friends, friends! Forgive my intrusion but I daresay that this thread has become rather derailed. Might I suggest that this spirited debate be taken perhaps to the realm of pm, if so desired?

Speaking of if you could check your inbox @AnObeseHippo that'd be appreciated ;)

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Raw diets are disgusting. I don’t need my dog tracking salmonella and stuff through the house for me to catch
I don’t think you can catch it from the dog like a disease
No need, it is done. Me asking for sources was a trick question. They won't find any. The scientific community is pretty heavily against raw food diets.
someone should make a thread in water hole. Scientists are often bribed by pet food companies. Usually have no data to back it up. Fluoride was dumped in water Same way and it’s highly toxic waste.
Did op catch lost spider???

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I don’t think you can catch it from the dog like a disease

someone should make a thread in water hole. Scientists are often bribed by pet food companies. Usually have no data to back it up. Fluoride was dumped in water Same way and it’s highly toxic waste.
Did op catch lost spider???
Dude, you can. Did you read any of the articles I linked? I know you didn’t because they answered all your questions; like yes, you can catch bacteria and parasites from a dog on a raw food diet. The reason is that the dog acts as a host and the bacteria/parasites just move through it and live in it without effecting the dog. Then when it poops, it has the bacteria and parasites on its butt, and it sits on your carpet. Maybe the dog hops on your bed or couch and now there is bacteria and parasites in the place where you lay your head to rest. Dogs also lick their butts, which moves the bacteria and parasites back to their mouth, only for your dog to give you a big fat lick and transfer the bacteria and parasites to you, for you to catch and get sick from.

Stop talking about lying and bribing in the scientific community. Unless you have actual facts to bring up you’re just pushing ignorance and causing more harm than good. It is exactly like when people say they understand how their T’s feel so they justify handling it and putting their T at risk even though T’s are purely instinctual and don’t feel in the same sense we do. It is just another lie that puts animals and people at risk.

Moderator note: I moved these off-topic posts from Escaped spider.
Thanks mate. Didn’t wanna start a new thread when all the stuff was already typed out. Appreciate the splitting of threads

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the site says when you’re online so deny it all you like.

How am I being “clearly biased”? I provided sources to articles thar support my opinion. I’m not going to switch to your side without any good sources as to why raw food is not disgusting or unsafe for humans.

Any sources for your raw food opinions, or just your personal experience that doesn’t count for anything in the real world?
Dear lordy, why would I deny being on here? LOL. I am sure if I open my internet browser, which has an AB tab, it says I am on here? I don't know. But aaaanyways...

Raw diets being "disgusting" is absolutely a matter of opinion, so yeah, I would have a difficult time finding a "scientific study" to support or deny that claim... which is where you are "clearly biased."

I'm not trying to "switch you to my side" regarding raw... You can do as you please, as I will continue to do as *I* please and what is good for my dogs. Like I said, you can potentially get salmonella from handling raw meat before you cook it for yourself. Also from pet reptiles. Also from handling dog kibble (which there are PLENTY of reports of and subsequent recalls on kibble because of). You can potentially get listeria from deli meats and E. coli from bottled juice. There was just some outbreak of something on LETTUCE that made a bunch of people ill (thank goodness I don't eat that nasty stuff.) My point being - All of your concerns are equally valid to food meant for human consumption, so why are you only worried about potential contamination from dogs?

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Dear lordy, why would I deny being on here? LOL. I am sure if I open my internet browser, which has an AB tab, it says I am on here? I don't know. But aaaanyways...

Raw diets being "disgusting" is absolutely a matter of opinion, so yeah, I would have a difficult time finding a "scientific study" to support or deny that claim... which is where you are "clearly biased."

I'm not trying to "switch you to my side" regarding raw... You can do as you please, as I will continue to do as *I* please and what is good for my dogs. Like I said, you can potentially get salmonella from handling raw meat before you cook it for yourself. Also from pet reptiles. Also from handling dog kibble (which there are PLENTY of reports of and subsequent recalls on kibble because of). You can potentially get listeria from deli meats and E. coli from bottled juice. There was just some outbreak of something on LETTUCE that made a bunch of people ill (thank goodness I don't eat that nasty stuff.) My point being - All of your concerns are equally valid to food meant for human consumption, so why are you only worried about potential contamination from dogs?
You missed the point. The point is that it is way more common in raw food diets than any other diet.

Keep ignoring the FDA. They try to keep you safe, but free will is one hell of a thing. I hope your dogs do well.

Also, you have still provided a whopping ZERO sources that say raw food is better than a regular diet.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You missed the point. The point is that it is way more common in raw food diets than any other diet.

Keep ignoring the FDA. They try to keep you safe, but free will is one hell of a thing. I hope your dogs do well.
Do you have a link to support the theory that raw dog food feeders contract salmonella more often than kibble feeders and/or people who handle food for human consumption? That I would be truly interested in seeing. I didn't have a chance to go through all your links.

I have been feeding raw for over a dozen years to dozens of dogs... The dogs couldn't be happier or healthier (; And that is the most important thing to me!

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Do you have a link to support the theory that raw dog food feeders contract salmonella more often than kibble feeders and/or people who handle food for human consumption? That I would be truly interested in seeing. I didn't have a chance to go through all your links.

I have been feeding raw for over a dozen years to dozens of dogs... The dogs couldn't be happier or healthier (; And that is the most important thing to me!
I did. The fda link I provided in a previous comment holds data from a study that shows raw food diets are more likely to contain Salmonella and Listeria.

Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I did. The fda link I provided in a previous comment holds data from a study that shows raw food diets are more likely to contain Salmonella and Listeria.

Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy
I am not disagreeing that raw food diets *are more likely* to contain those. I want to see data that supports the theory that more raw feeders actually contract salmonella/listeria/etc than other people. That is where your theory is lacking proof.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
I am not disagreeing that raw food diets *are more likely* to contain those. I want to see data that supports the theory that more raw feeders actually contract salmonella/listeria/etc than other people. That is where your theory is lacking proof.
Well, lets do this logically. The dog eats the Salmonella/Listeria and doesn't kill the bacteria. The dog acts as a host, passing the Salmonella through it's body. Do you wash your dog's butt-hole every time after it poops? We don't need a study to show that raw food diets are more likely to infect the owners with these diseases when kibble or cooked food diets are way less likely to contain them in the first place. But whatever, Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, lets do this logically. The dog eats the Salmonella/Listeria and doesn't kill the bacteria. The dog acts as a host, passing the Salmonella through it's body. Do you wash your dog's butt-hole every time after it poops? We don't need a study to show that raw food diets are more likely to infect the owners with these diseases when kibble or cooked food diets are way less likely to contain them in the first place. But whatever, Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy
... except, as I have said SEVERAL times, people get salmonella from mishandling dog kibble ALL THE TIME. This is well documented. I have been a member of raw feeding internet groups for years with thousands of members and no one has ever posted about contracting salmonella... but you can simply Google "salmonella dog food recalls" and get plenty of results (for kibble.)

Anyways, we are going in circles now so let's just call it a day.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
... except, as I have said SEVERAL times, people get salmonella from mishandling dog kibble ALL THE TIME. This is well documented. I have been a member of raw feeding internet groups for years with thousands of members and no one has ever posted about contracting salmonella... but you can simply Google "salmonella dog food recalls" and get plenty of results (for kibble.)

Anyways, we are going in circles now so let's just call it a day.
No, they simply don't get it all the time. They get it at a lower rate than raw food diets. The only reason you hear about kibble salmonella more is because a much larger % of people feed kibble.

You're going in circles and providing no proof or sources.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No, they simply don't get it all the time. They get it at a lower rate than raw food diets. The only reason you hear about kibble salmonella more is because a much larger % of people feed kibble.

You're going in circles and providing no proof or sources.
You have provided ZERO proof to support the claim that raw feeders contract salmonella more than kibble feeders :rolleyes:

Anyways, gotta run... I have a dozen dogs eagerly awaiting their raw chicken quarters, eggs, beef heart, green tripe, and chicken paws! :happy:

MintyWood826

Arachnobaron

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
You have provided ZERO proof to support the claim that raw feeders contract salmonella more than kibble feeders :rolleyes:

Anyways, gotta run... I have a dozen dogs eagerly awaiting their raw chicken quarters, eggs, beef heart, green tripe, and chicken paws! :happy:
No I did not. You said you refused to read my sources. The very last source was the most important. Please stop playing dumb, I know you are smarter than that.

I already posted this, and it is the most important link of all. Thank you for reposting it for them to see.

So.. @Teal got any links coming or just more anecdotal stories?

Last edited:

basin79

ArachnoGod
Mah... to me dogs aren't scary at all. The problem with dogs IMO is one only: they need to be taken outside, and I don't have anymore the time but, more honestly, the will to walk with a dog at night :)

I love dogs, but only certain breeds: Cane Corso, Mastino Napoletano, Boxer, Dogue de Bordeaux etc only Molosser dogs, the others are annoying, like micro/little dogs breed :pompous:
Hey, what about Caucasian Shepherds?

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I fed my dogs raw for a while and stopped when I got pregnant because i didn't want to increase the risk of salmonella, based on basic knowledge of the higher likelihood of salmonella being in raw meat and also that I had a living being/ spawn with a compromised immune system to think about. I have continued in this way with a small child living at home.
I did notice some benefits of feeding raw- very shiny coats, the dogs loved it (but they love all food). I also spent a lot of money on it.

I try to take the middle path and give my dogs pretty high quality kibble and sometimes mix it with some veggies and meat for them, which they love.

My vet said it was a great decision to stop feeding raw due to salmonella risks. I am inclined to listen to a trained vet who takes very good care of my dogs.