Topsoil question

cold blood

Staff member
I agree with @cold blood ,don't know about Ca.but here its just plain old dirt.
I have sifted it for smaller slings,and pulled larger dirt clods and rocks.
40lb bag ,like I think it was $4.00,cant remember right off hand.Home Depot.

I just need to keep an eye out for stems,buds, and seeds,its Colorado after all;).
Wow, it's under $1.40 here for the same big bag.....still cheap though.

EricaT

Arachnopeon
I know this is an old post, but figure it’s worth a shot to ask a question regarding top soil for my A. Seemani. To lessen the posts on this site.

Has anyone heard anything about “Greensmix” Top Soil? I’m in WA state, and this mixture comes from Waupaca Northwoods, LLC in Wisconsin.
I can’t find ANYTHING on this specific brand.

cold blood

Staff member
I know this is an old post, but figure it’s worth a shot to ask a question regarding top soil for my A. Seemani. To lessen the posts on this site.

Has anyone heard anything about “Greensmix” Top Soil? I’m in WA state, and this mixture comes from Waupaca Northwoods, LLC in Wisconsin.
I can’t find ANYTHING on this specific brand.
Lmao, im in Wisconsin and ive never seen or heard of the brand....Usually top soils are local variants...super odd that dirt would be shipped half way across the country.

Stuff you want should be very cheap...like the cheapest stuff, not marketed for growing plants, but rather for filling holes and leveling ground.

If you think this stuff qualifies (if its actually dirt from Waupaca, its probably good unless its got additives), you can do the cricket test by housing crickets on the stuff for a couple days.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
This stuff?
15FA6C6E-0262-4C5A-9A13-E86E29ADCB9B.jpeg

I pick this up from lowes for about $2 a bag. Works fine. (Spokane WA)

cold blood

Staff member
Do you use topsoil by itself or combine it with anything else?
I’m sure it’s really inexpensive but what is you like about using topsoil vs coconut fiber/eco earth type substrates?
I dont mix it with anything, frankly i see it as more work and more cost with little real benefit.

I like that i can get large quantities cheap...nice when you are constantly re housing. I like that i can just dump it in and dont have to tamp it down. And i like that it looks natural.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
I dont mix it with anything, frankly i see it as more work and more cost with little real benefit.

I like that i can get large quantities cheap...nice when you are constantly re housing. I like that i can just dump it in and dont have to tamp it down. And i like that it looks natural.
You’re right mixing it does do away with the cost benefit.
I’ll have to give it a try.

Marlana

Arachnoknight
Do you use topsoil by itself or combine it with anything else?
I’m sure it’s really inexpensive but what is you like about using topsoil vs coconut fiber/eco earth type substrates?
I can’t answer for anyone else but I personally don’t like coco fiber because it’s so fluffy and doesn’t hold shape well. I actually didn’t mind it for Ts but when I got a trapdoor spider that refused to build a burrow, I looked for alternatives. Once I started using topsoil and reptisoil...I realized I liked it much better than coco, and so did my spiders. It holds shape better, they seem to have no reluctance walking on it, it holds water better, I like the look of it. I’ve been slowly moving everyone over.