Topsoil question

NYAN

Arachnoking
Hi all,

I decided to buy some topsoil to try as a substrate component. I just wanted to check with you all to see if the ingredients are fine.

4CD53DB4-661E-48A9-B9DD-8DF9704DE94E.jpeg

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Food processing waste, manure, compost -- these are not ideal, but are probably not harmful. They are incorporated into the soil to promote plant growth.

I think what you're looking for is considered "fill."

NYAN

Arachnoking
Food processing waste, manure, compost -- these are not ideal, but are probably not harmful. They are incorporated into the soil to promote plant growth.

I think what you're looking for is considered "fill."
That’s what I was thinking also. They didn’t have hole filling dirt, I asked. This is all they had pretty much.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have bought similar products for my garden, but would not want to use them for my inverts. You are in California, where the bag will contain manure, processed forest products (basically, shredded wood of unspecified origin - which may include not-so-invert-friendly woods such as pine or cedar), and compost - which could be pretty much any decomposing organic waste.

Check Craigslist - in addition to all the "Fill dirt wanted" ads, there are also people who have free fill dirt to get rid of. (Usually construction companies or landscapers who need to remove it from a job site.) They're mostly looking to unload large quantities - but if you just want a little bit, they may be ok with you going and picking some up.

NYAN

Arachnoking
I have bought similar products for my garden, but would not want to use them for my inverts. You are in California, where the bag will contain manure, processed forest products (basically, shredded wood of unspecified origin - which may include not-so-invert-friendly woods such as pine or cedar), and compost - which could be pretty much any decomposing organic waste.
That’s a shame. I figured it was sketchy which is why I asked.

Is our state bad when it comes to the topsoil that is sold as well?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That’s a shame. I figured it was sketchy which is why I asked.

Is our state bad when it comes to the topsoil that is sold as well?
In case you missed it, I edited the above comment - try Craigslist.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use, and have used this exact top soil for MANY years without issue.
It is regionally formulated, though - so what you get is not going to be the same thing we will get in the same bag. According to the label, in other parts of the country it may include things like sand and native topsoil (actual dirt). In California, if the label is to be believed, it is entirely formulated from manure, processed forest products, and compost - all of which are great garden additives for the decomposed granite mix that passes for dirt in my neighborhood, but not necessarily what I want to raise my inverts on.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
It is regionally formulated, though - so what you get is not going to be the same thing we will get in the same bag. According to the label, in other parts of the country it may include things like sand and native topsoil (actual dirt). In California, if the label is to be believed, it is entirely formulated from manure, processed forest products, and compost - all of which are great garden additives for the decomposed granite mix that passes for dirt in my neighborhood, but not necessarily what I want to raise my inverts on.
In sum, basically, the Mama's & the Papa's always lied to us! :rage:

"... I'd be safe and warm if I was in L.A."

Yeah, sure: Wisconsin and other colder states seems more dirt-bag-friendly & safer :writer:

:kiss: :rofl: :troll:

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
From what I understand CA mandates top soil be made with manure.

I have talked with boina about compost and she is of the belief that some compost isn’t bad, as long as it isn’t straight compost (I’m paraphrasing here so I might not be accurately reflecting what she said).

I also have two spiders still using the EarthGro (N. incei and P. murinus) and both have not had any issues thus far.

cold blood

Staff member
I guess the ingredients for you would be different?
It is regional, but ingredient list is exactly the same...I have heard the stuff in Cali had a lot of wood pieces...I get more rocks...either way its not a big housing dilemma.

And obviously if manure is a big part, its not ideal and I would look elsewhere.

I get the same ingredient listings, and have had that odor in the past, but its never been substantial enough for me to not use it as its gone quickly...yours may be different however.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I stick to the old school peat or coco fiber. Topsoil has always scared me and even more after Tom Moran's incident last year.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I, like @cold blood, use this very product exclusively, not as a component, in all of my enclosures. I keep everything from arboreals to fossorials with no issues whatsoever. The suggestion that the ingredients are to foster plant growth fall short, as this particular product is sold as fill dirt. Every place I buy it, and there are several, place it with sand, rocks, etc., for landscaping. It is not even displayed in the section with potting, gardening soil.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i live in WA state and use earthgro. the only issue i have had so far is a fungus gnat outbreak caused by one bag i bough.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
I use, and have used this exact top soil for MANY years without issue.
I agree with @cold blood ,don't know about Ca.but here its just plain old dirt.
I have sifted it for smaller slings,and pulled larger dirt clods and rocks.
40lb bag ,like I think it was $4.00,cant remember right off hand.Home Depot.

I just need to keep an eye out for stems,buds, and seeds,its Colorado after all;).