Topics of Advanced Tarantula Husbandry?

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
From my experience, memorizing the anatomy, physiology, and other aspects of a tarantulas anatomy has been of little application in day-to-day keeping; I would say that knowing the names of the body parts is very important though (i.e prosoma vs opisthosoma, femur vs trochanter, etc.). The basics of taxonomy is helpful to know, but so long as we have @Patherophis to help us out one doesn't need to delve into the complexities and intricacies of that side of arachnology unless you really want to.

As for naturalistic vivaria, the two problems I have had is A) Good lighting that can be incorporated into the lid, and B) Adequate substrate. Ventilation with maybe a daily breeze is all that is needed to keep the air from becoming stagnant. You really have to plan everything out, but after that it is generally pretty easy. Water features are a huge pain to deal with though, so unless you are really committed there is very little application for them (unless your showing off your H. gigas or your S. cataracta).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Theneil

Arachnoprince
If provided with a consolidated resource which includes more scientific knowledge on tarantulas (taxonomy, anatomy, physiology, etc.) written for the lay person, how would you apply it to your tarantula keeping hobby? Or does this type of information have any practical application?

Regarding naturalistic and/ or bioactive enclosures. What is keeping you from experimenting on your own to build something more natural or aesthetically pleasing?
IMO, there is little actual application to the keeping hobby. The hobby itself is so simple that i argue there are not really many “advanced” aspects to it. However, there is the possibility that with better knowledge of the tarantula that diagnosing health conditions may be a little easier, and possibly the extra knowledge will allow more creativity for creating remedies to issues.

As for taxonomy, that one could be applied constantly. Rather than taking somebodies word that a specimen is species X, or when getting one of the infamous “mystery spiders” you could quickly reference the book to begin narrowing it down, rather than posting a pic for “Looks like mine” type comments.

As for bioactive setups, perhaps some good plant choices and basic plant care. but that seems to me almost like a second hobby in itself.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
@Theneil, I would disagree that the hobby is entirely simple, as breeding is not always simple or straightforward, nor is dealing with injured/sick tarantulas.

I do agree with your other statements though, particularly on naturalistic vivaria; just look at @AbraxasComplex's setups and we can see that you are right, ha ha.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Theneil

Arachnoprince
IMO, there is little actual application to the keeping hobby. The hobby itself is so simple that i argue there are not really many “advanced” aspects to it. However, there is the possibility that with better knowledge of the tarantula that diagnosing health conditions may be a little easier, and possibly the extra knowledge will allow more creativity for creating remedies to issues.
@Theneil, I would disagree that the hobby is entirely simple, as breeding is not always simple or straightforward, nor is dealing with injured/sick tarantulas.
I believe we are actually in agreement. Perhapse i my wording was unclear though. when i said the keeping hobby, i really just meant keeping. In a previous comment i actually said breeding is something i would like to see in the book.;)

And i did reference how better knowlege of anatomy and body systems might help with being able to provide medical care/solutions, as currently the solutions offered are basically Hydrate it, the infamous ICU, cornstarch/flower/superglue, and hope it goes away with a molt. I don’t know what they all are, but i believe there has to be better treatments, or at least ways to make better diagnoses. So i can agree that i would call those more “advanced” sectors of the hobby.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Ah, I understand you now. I typically acknowledge the word "hobby" as encompassing everything that has to do with maintaining and raising tarantulas; actually, I take the word to apply to keeping all invertebrates, but with multiple "sides", i.e the tarantula side of the hobby, the scorpion side of the hobby, the European side (or maybe "front" is a better word) of the hobby, and Asian side of the hobby, etc. That is where I was confused.

I get what your saying now though :).

Thanks,

Arthroverts