TOPIC: Scorpion Enclosures

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My new P. Trans tank. 5.5gal with 5+ inches of 60/40 sand/peat, some cork bark, stones, and a hunk of drift wood. Hopefully he enjoys it

**Edit update: That lid, cracked the glass on my tank :evil: :mad: So I'm now out a 5.5gal, which i gotta replace, and probably replace the lid. On top of that, I was happy with the way the tank was right now. BAH!!

Attachments

Last edited:

innocence lost

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

This is my scorp tank. Its a 20L and has one small emperor for now.. The bed is a mix of coconut fiber and green sand..

innocence lost

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wikkid_devil said:
This is it, now I HAVE to stop tinkering :rolleyes:
Thats a great setup. How often do you have to change it out? Is there any chance of the scorps getting down to the gravel? Would that harm them?

chad

Arachnopeon
scorpions tank

i have 1 emp. scorpion, he has a 20 gallon tank. it has a mesh top. in the bottom i have potting soil, its about 4 inch. deep. in his tank i have 1 large plant. i cut a flower pot in half and put half in the tank for him to hide in. he has a log in the to sit and hind behind. he has a shallow water dish in his tank as well. there is also UV lights on him.

ScorpZion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
uv lights are not good to expose him to all the time!!!!!!!! get a red heat light and stop using the uv

chad

Arachnopeon
alright i wont use the uv i get the red heat, is it infered heat light????

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I clean it out twice a year, the woodlice keep mould etc to a minimum. The scorps can get to the gravel if they are persistant enough, but by the time they get that deep into the substrate it is too wet for them. However, there is a layer of mulch between the gravel and the substrate (which has expanded to about two inches thick through water absorption) I know they dig to this depth as I occasionally find bits at the burrow entrances.

innocence lost

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wikkid_devil said:
I clean it out twice a year, the woodlice keep mould etc to a minimum. The scorps can get to the gravel if they are persistant enough, but by the time they get that deep into the substrate it is too wet for them. However, there is a layer of mulch between the gravel and the substrate (which has expanded to about two inches thick through water absorption) I know they dig to this depth as I occasionally find bits at the burrow entrances.

Thats cool. What heat sources do you have? DO you have something covering the top of the tank or is it open? What does that make your humidity level? :?

I know .. so many questions! ;)

wikkid_devil

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
innocence lost said:
Thats cool. What heat sources do you have? DO you have something covering the top of the tank or is it open? What does that make your humidity level? :?

I know .. so many questions! ;)
The lid was removed for the photo's as was the heat lamp. I use a 40watt red spot for heating. The lid is a standard plastic aquarium lid. The humidity is maintained by the water held in the gravel under the substrate (there is about 1" of standing water in the gravel).

innocence lost

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wikkid_devil said:
The lid was removed for the photo's as was the heat lamp. I use a 40watt red spot for heating. The lid is a standard plastic aquarium lid. The humidity is maintained by the water held in the gravel under the substrate (there is about 1" of standing water in the gravel).

what size gravel do you use? Pea size or the bigger stuff?

innocence lost

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wikkid_devil said:
Aquarium gravel, so I guess it's about the size of pea gravel.

trust me , aquarium gravel comes in a few different sizes, but I'll just go with the small stuff, or maybe a mix,... whatever! :D

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. mauritanicus communal cage

A few pics of my A. mauritanicus set up. There is currently a male and female living here with much sucess; the female seems to enjoy the chula cactus where the male has hollowed out a scrape under the sedimentary stone to the left.

Last edited by a moderator:

MattM

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice cactus indeed! They must love it :D

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks MattM, I'm very excited to see them cohabiting in this manner and getting along rather well for a very predatory species. Hopefully I get some scorplings some day.