micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 20 gallon set up- with my EMP, and Baby

Last edited:

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its like a fiber cotton, so scorption dont drown, like a spongue, but i use cotton.

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
org. i use to use just water, PETCO said use a spongue or some fiber cotton, or acquarium cotton.

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
micjoe said:
its like a fiber cotton, so scorption dont drown, like a spongue, but i use cotton.
Hi,

You should remove the cotton, it is only a source for bacteria growth. The scorpion will not drown, Pandinus Imperator actually loves to submerge themselves in water. One of min stayed under water for over 10 minutes once. I wonder where the pet shops got the idea that scorps and tarantulas needs sponges to drink from without drowning :? :?

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kaos said:
Hi,

You should remove the cotton, it is only a source for bacteria growth. The scorpion will not drown, Pandinus Imperator actually loves to submerge themselves in water. One of min stayed under water for over 10 minutes once. I wonder where the pet shops got the idea that scorps and tarantulas needs sponges to drink from without drowning :? :?
Maybe they think of crickets ;) Crickets can drown in no water at all ;)

micjoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i acutally thought it was a good idea, with my little babies not drowning, but since they are all gone, i can remove the cotton, i see some people use spongues, and cotton, i change the cotton every 2 days, but if not needed will discard.

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I decided to finally bust out the old digi cam and take a few pics of my current setups.

First I have my tank with 5 Centruroides vittatus on the left and 3 Vaejovis spinigerus on the right.

Second is my tank with 1 Hadrurus arizonensis pallidus on the left and 1 Hadrurus arizonensis on the right.

The third enclosure is the one who started it all. Garth the emp lives there.

Forth pic is just of my overall setup. Good old fireplace mantle.

Attachments

Black Hawk

Arachnolord
Old Timer
here are my enclosures at the moment, keep in mind the adult famale on the Lizard Litter is being moved along with the other emps into a 10 gal with soil, moss, and vermiculate. she won't be stuck on that junk for long ;) . here they are...
first: emp enclosure
second: my two H. arizonis, also thinking of putting them in a divided 10g...
third and fourth: both juv. emps are like this more or less..
enjoy!

Last edited:

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vaejovis carolinianus

medium keeper, potting soil, repti-bark on half, dried leaves on the other half...
houses four 3-4th instar V. carolinianus

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A 5 gallon for two of my Smeringerus vachoni with a divider since they don't play nice. I put the gravel on the bottom for a bit of humidity under the sand, though i probably didn't have to. In this pic the sand was still drying, its not nearly as wet now.

Attachments

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks
Nah, its just a tool box. Iv been thinking of making some sort of cabinet so i can put my 10 gal emp. setup on top with an enclosed shelf underneath so i can get those desert scorps nicn toasty without using mega wattage. Seems like most of the heat from that ceramic goes straight up.

Tityus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I finally have my own scorpio room :)

We've just moved house and I now have my own scorpio room

Here are some pictures

Fluid Filter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:clap: Wow, it must be nice...
What is that your using for heating?
Do you have an enclosure for show?

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want the poster!

i'm moving in 2 weeks and will have a spare room for scorpions and a few reptiles as well... We're going to be heating the whole room and just a couple low-watt heat lamps for those that need basking space...

Looks like you're using heat tape... no?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice room. Lucky guy. I was thinking of converting my closet into my scorp room. Gotta save some cash though to do it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Fluid Filter said:
Thanks
Nah, its just a tool box. Iv been thinking of making some sort of cabinet so i can put my 10 gal emp. setup on top with an enclosed shelf underneath so i can get those desert scorps nicn toasty without using mega wattage. Seems like most of the heat from that ceramic goes straight up.
heat transfers by convection thru the air almost straight up, if their is no air currents. but after a little bit, it will make thermal currents in the air... but yes, most of the heat goes straight up

if you want hear to go sideways significantly you have to conduct it through metal. oh, and aluminum is almost and insulator, and iron and copper are good conductors, i think

TheNothing

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

(click for big)

This started out as two pictures because i hadn't thought of taking just one

It is a split 10gallon tank (center dividing plexiglass not pictured) that houses my H. arizonensis (left) and C. gracilis (right)

H.a. substrate reptisand and crushed walnut shells
C.g. substrate shred-a-beast and large hunk of driftwood that has plenty of hides for her