TOPIC: Scorpion Enclosures

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
is that some kinda wire mesh between your rocks and substrate ? cuz if it is thats a great idea ! i think i might do that to my 20 gal Emp enclouser. plus i like the whole set up anyway looks great.
Got to agree with you. That setup is very nice. :)

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh No!!!

RyanC said:
B. smithi and A. chalcodes both like it dry.
I didn't know that. Dry as in Do-not-mist-just-provide-water-dish Dry?

I've been reading quite a lot in this forum but i didn't realize... How about my b.smithi... he/she is undergoing premolt... don't i have to mist more often to increase humidity?

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
JSN said:
yeah, it would seem to be too complex to try to replicate each species natural environment in the same tank, I mean, just simpilfy it by getting too different enclosures...in all honesty I've never really been a fan of the split enclosure thing...but hey, if your gonna do it, at least do it with species that like similar substrate...thats just my 2 cents on the subject, take it for what its worth...
Hi. Don't get me wrong guys. I totally respect all your opinions and advices. I'm just trying to reach out here. Me, being a newbie and all that. Hope ya guys won't lose your patience... On with the subject...

I went out of my way and use Photoshop to illustrate my idea. Still hope to hear from you guys. :) all replies are very much appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it ,may it may not work

in this case... im not very sure.. you may try... but its gonna cost more makeing a split tank right?

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
yeah, I mean, go for it if you want, no ones telling you it positively will not work, but you just might run into some problems...tell us how it goes if you do it...

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh no! now i'm more confused. The tank will cost less than my Kritter Keeper that's for sure. The last thing i want is for them to be unhappy and at worst, die on me.

about my question... if two separate KKs (Kritter Keeper) is kept. Say KK-A and KK-B. would the humidity of KK-A generally affect the humidity of KK-B which is supposed to be dry? they're all in one room...

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no itr wont. but the problem will arise if they share the same tank. i don think you cant have so much difference in two side of a tank sperated by a piece of glass!!!

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorpfanatic said:
no itr wont. but the problem will arise if they share the same tank. i don think you cant have so much difference in two side of a tank sperated by a piece of glass!!!
You're not just humoring me now, are you? hehehe
I guess i'll just have to try then. I'm just waiting for the pricing and size details of the H.arizonensis. :D

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
my wildcaught Vaejovis spinigerus enclosure, houses 2 males I believe...

Golemer

Arachnopeon
That gives me an idea of how I am going to make a cave for my little scorpion... I know I need to make it secure so it wont fall on it... but I use calci-sand... stuff I buy from the pet shop... is it really safe for my emperor scorpion..? And I have a undert the tank heater... I know he burrows to get away from the ehat so I only keep it on like 1/2 the size of the cage... but I really wanna make him a little cave like that last pic... that was really clever lol. See for my snake I have it in a huge tank with a big sized shoe box setting in the tank with a door cut out and the snake loves the shelter... and I have the same for my rose hair tarantula... now to make one for my scorpion... ^_^

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Emps need to be kept on soil or peat...Not sand. They need it humid.

antman

Arachnopeon
themowingmonk said:
also coconut fiber work great for emporer cause it holds humidity well
Everytime I use the coconut fiber I get alot of mites.

JSN

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Antman,
thanks alot, the enclosure seems to look a little different week to week, these guys fling sand everywhere...

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here is my 2 emps home. 30 Gallon tank. Coco-fibers soil on the top 2" and the bottom inch is of woodchips and reptile mulch. They share a wide variety of hides within the foilage of the corner of the terraium and the log and the side as well contains a small burrow where the female is currently hibernating at the moment. Oh and there is a large heat rock on the right side.

Plenty of angles so you can get the full view. I also have both a fluorecent bulb and a black light for heat the area. One for daily view and nightly.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First get rid of the black light, over time it is just going to harm the scorp. Second you should add a lot more substrate, aim for 6"+ as this species likes to create deep burrows. Third IMO the tank is way overkill. A 10 gallon is perfectly fine for 2 emps if not a little big. My 2 emps share a 5 gallon and do just fine.

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh i know its overkill, but it was also convient, because I had it available at the time and I wasn't using it for anything else... So I just said sure what the hell. And besides I dont have anything else to put them in. I only use the black light on occasion to see what they are doing at night. But if you reccommend it, I will get rid of it. And I am waiting to get some more cash to buy more substrate. Do you think about 2" will do? It currently has about 1" of woodchips 2-3" of coco fiber. SO 5" is good?

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A black light is only good in short amount of times every once in a while. Like if you cant seem to find them in the tank you just black light it to find them.

You want 6"+ of cocofiber for them to burrow in.