1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top rated zoo ?

Discussion in 'Zoo Trips (Man Made Habitats)' started by crawley07, Jul 27, 2016.

1. crawley07

crawley07 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I have been to Houston zoo. I have been to San Diego zoo. I heard great things about San Diego zoo as I was going there for my vacation last year November. However when I got there it seemed big and a lot of people were there with family. My interest was the reptiles... They had quite a few snakes but I didn't come across a single tarantula my Houston zoo has and natural science of museum has more stuff then San Diego and people talk about how San Diego zoo is that and that ya da ya da I'm sorry I dont see how that zoo is rated in one top zoos in the world if they can't even keep different type of reptiles ? Can anyone recommend more zoos or museum that have reptiles ?

2. BorisTheSpider

BorisTheSpider Overly Complicated

The Riverbanks Zoo here in Columbia has the Aquarium Reptile Complex or ARC as they call it . It's a very nice attraction in an already very nice zoo . The zoo sits on the bank of the Saluda River and complemented by a large botanical garden that sits across the river . The two are joined by a footbridge that crosses over the river . Here is their website , check it out http://www.riverbanks.org/

3. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

The Milwaukee county zoo has a nice aquarium/reptile building...it was always my favorite building when I worked there. They've got green tree pythons, blood pythons, a gigantic king cobra, gaboon viper, and a fairly large green anaconda among several other snakes...they always had a lot more in the back than on display...the back room was impressive.

They have many turtle species, from aquatic to tortoises.

They also have camien and some other lizards.

A large south American aquarium and the center is a circular aquarium, dubbed "lake Wisconsin", in which you can find just about every species that lives in the state.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  5. gypsy cola

gypsy cola Arachnoknight

The Hogle Zoo is decent when it comes to reptiles. We have gators, T's, multiple snakes including a Madagascar tree boa, tortoises, and plenty of lizards. Come on a day in which the zoo is offering beer. They close down the zoo on certain nights and only allow 21 and over and serves plenty of local brews. It's pretty cool because most of the big cats are active. Not the largest in U.S but it is a nice AZA zoo and good reason to come to Utah.

• Like Like x 2
  6. sschind

sschind Arachnoknight Old Timer

I guess it depends on how you rate the zoo. If your main focus is reptiles and the zoo doesn't have many I would suspect your rating would be lower. Someone who doesn't care about reptiles might rate it much higher. Most people go to zoos to see the big stuff and San Diego certainly fits that description. Variety is becoming less and less important when it comes to zoo ratings as proper care and larger more natural displays and enclosures are becoming the norm. Reptiles and bugs, while very popular attractions once people are at the zoos, are not what bring them in in the first place.

I agree with Cold Blood about the Milwaukee zoo. I haven't been there in maybe 10 years or so but its a nice reptile house with nice displays (can sit for an hour in front of the African cichlid aquarium and just look for babies) I can't speak to the number of animals on display vs other zoos (IMO they could use about 10xs more) but its a nice selection and I'm guessing its more than enough for the average zoo goer.

The zoo in Madison had a few incredible live planted frog displays some years back but I don't know if they are still there. I wouldn't want to travel hundreds of miles to see them as there were only 3 of them and they were not huge but if its local and you haven't seen it its worth the trip. It used to be a free zoo too so there is that. A nice day trip for a family with young children.

I've heard that the Cincinnati zoo has a great insect zoo but I have never been there.

As far as the Durrell wildlife park goes its a step above but I don't know if I would consider it a zoo in the traditional sense. It is perhaps the only true "Conservation" park. Take a look at the animals they have there. They are all smaller to medium sized species (with the exception of the gorillas) that do not require huge expanses of open terrain to thrive and if I am not mistaken they are all endangered many of them dangerously so. Things that are not considered attractive to more traditional zoos. Not that people don't find lemurs and tamarins and other small primates interesting its just that they will not pull the people in like the giraffes and elephants will. I'd love to visit there someday and get a behind the scenes tour (some of the really cool stuff is not available for the general public to see if I understand correctly) I've read every one of Gerald Durrell's books several times and I think the the facility sets a standard that very few others could ever hope to reach. There are many other smaller facilities doing very good things from a conservation standpoint but none that I can think of on the scale of the Durrell Park

• Like Like x 1
  7. lunarae

lunarae Arachnobaron

Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha Nebraska I was pretty impressed with back when I went to it. That was before they bought the football stadium across the street from them so they could expand it further.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    I'm just in Lincoln and the Henry Doorly Zoo is under going some massive expansions right now. I was last there a few months ago and in their bug house they had on display a large LP, G rosea, X. immanis, B. emilia, B. smithi, B. vagans, B. albiceps, B. boehmei, and a few others I can't remember. In there center building right in front of the entrance, they had another large LP and a Avic. versi.

• Like Like x 1
  9. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

St. Louis Zoo has a heck of an Insectarium. Lots of great things on display and you can get a glimpse in the back where they work with the endangered American burying beetles.

10. Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska...I live just 1 hr 15 min north of it.