Top five deadliest scorpions?

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe the Scorpion King - Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson is number one, but I could be wrong.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
1. Hottentotta tamulus-(Indian red scorpion) venom- iberiotoxin among other's it too kill's many children in its range
2. A.Australis-(Yellow Fattail scorpion) venom-AaH I among other neurotoxins in its venom it kill's frequently in its range due to being in close proximity to people
3.Tityus serrulatus/Tityus Stigmurus( Brazilian Yellow Scorpion/Brazilian striped back scorpion) venom-Both have a very potent neurotoxin called Tityustoxin it is frequently lethal to children and given its parthenogenetic nature it is common. Other toxins Tst1 for T.stigmurus both have Tityustoxin
4.Hemiscorpius Lepturus-This species has a rather powerful cytotoxic venom and kills many as well its venom causes Puff Adder venom like tissue and muscle damage.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Did you forget L. quinquestriatus?
1. Hottentotta tamulus-(Indian red scorpion) venom- iberiotoxin among other's it too kill's many children in its range
2. A.Australis-(Yellow Fattail scorpion) venom-AaH I among other neurotoxins in its venom it kill's frequently in its range due to being in close proximity to people
3.Tityus serrulatus/Tityus Stigmurus( Brazilian Yellow Scorpion/Brazilian striped back scorpion) venom-Both have a very potent neurotoxin called Tityustoxin it is frequently lethal to children and given its parthenogenetic nature it is common. Other toxins Tst1 for T.stigmurus both have Tityustoxin
4.Hemiscorpius Lepturus-This species has a rather powerful cytotoxic venom and kills many as well its venom causes Puff Adder venom like tissue and muscle damage.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Not exactly if we are going to go deadliest I go with the one that kill's the most people it doesn't have to be the most venomous. LQ has very highly potent venom but it kill's fewer people then the one's mentioned. Plus it lives in remote area's away from people it would be like saying the Inland Taipan is the most venomous snake its subjective to me as you have Saw-scaled viper's,Puff adder's and certain species of cobra kill more then a Inland Taipan. A Eastern Brown snake kills more people in Australia then any other snake so again LQ while extremely venomous lives in remote places and death's are rare. Most venomous doesn't mean the deadliest

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep i completely understand that. The way i go by it though really doesnt count human contact, or that humans even exist. I figure whatever is the deadliest, is the most dangerous. Wether people ever see one or not. Im not arguing with you at all, or saying your wrong, this is just my opinion.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Well with regards to that LQ's/Deathstalkers have very powerful venom they are capable of killing but they live in remote area's much like the Inland Taipan. Saw-scaled vipers are dangerous because they have a bad temper and are highly venomous and are found around human settlements. A.Australis same way its not the most venomous but its larger then a LQ more venom not as toxic as a LQ but still way way up there. Tityus sp are responsible for many death's in their range and ive heard some suggest they might be just as if not more toxic then a LQ. Studies need to be done on their venom more

Jeremy7

Arachnopeon
What about androctonus mauretanicus, or androctonus crassicauda, where do they rank?

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Well given their contact with people likely the same as A.Australis I just used A.australis because its the most well known of the androctonus. Plus Androctonus amoreuxi I imagine is about the same as well with regards to that I should have just said Androctonus spp. lol

Last edited:

snippy

Arachnobaron
I figure whatever is the deadliest, is the most dangerous. Wether people ever see one or not.
By the very definition danger/risk accounts for the probability that that certain act will occur. So what you are talking about is not being dangerous in a stronger sense, but the potential outcome of that dangerous situation.
The risk of humans getting killed by any scorpion without any scorpion being around is nil - it is not dangerous at all :)

However in case of deadly I feel it is something totally different. When someone talks about something being deadly it does usually just mean it's potential for killing. So that would be the one part of "being dangerous", the part that you meant, too.

Regards
Finn

Last edited:

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most deaths occur in Latin America, particularly in parts of Mexico and Brazil...I could see Centuroides elegans, Tityus bahiensis, Tityus stigmurus, Tityus trinitatis on that list, and these are the ones I am certain because of high mortality/morbidity rates.

Last edited:

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
Well Tityus are well known killers in south america they like the LQ are small but pack one hell of a punch venom wise. I think the issue with third world countries is lack of good medical care for highly venomous species like Tityus and Androctonus. The snake that causes most of the fatalities down that way is actually the genus bothrops like the Jararaca,Urutu,Common lancehead kill more people then any other snake in south america.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I understand that. I just meant that he wanted to know the most deadly. But i see it as those scorpions are deadly wether people are around them, or even if humans didnt exist, they would still be that deadly.
By the very definition danger/risk accounts for the probability that that certain act will occur. So what you are talking about is not being dangerous in a stronger sense, but the potential outcome of that dangerous situation.
The risk of humans getting killed by any scorpion without any scorpion being around is nil - it is not dangerous at all :)

However in case of deadly I feel it is something totally different. When someone talks about something being deadly it does usually just mean it's potential for killing. So that would be the one part of "being dangerous", the part that you meant, too.

Regards
Finn

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I tend to go on the number of people killed by a species Tityus spp. kills a lot of people most children and the infirm ect. Androctonus kill's a lot of people but the LQ's isolation is what effects its rating to me not its venom that's extremely toxic. To me if your going to do a deadliest anything list do it based on fatalities instead of venom toxicity or potency. To me among the most dangerous snakes in the world is the Russel's viper its got big fangs,lot's of highly toxic venom and a nasty nasty temperament.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I tend to go on the number of people killed by a species Tityus spp. kills a lot of people most children and the infirm ect. Androctonus kill's a lot of people but the LQ's isolation is what effects its rating to me not its venom that's extremely toxic. To me if your going to do a deadliest anything list do it based on fatalities instead of venom toxicity or potency. To me among the most dangerous snakes in the world is the Russel's viper its got big fangs,lot's of highly toxic venom and a nasty nasty temperament.
Here, though, you are talking about the genus Androctonus and the species Leiurus quinquestraitus. The genus Androctonus should logically cause more fatalities than the single species. This is not always true, of course, but both are highly venomous, so the comparison should be fair...also, some Androctonus spp. share the same locality as L. quinquestraitus.

Mortality rates in Brazil are increasing because of this one "Tityus stigmurus"...anyone ever heard of that scorpion?:D;) Centruroides (especially C. elegans, C. infamatus, C. noxius, C. limpidus, C. suffusus, C. tecomanus, C. meisei, C. ornatus, C. balsasensis, and a lot of subspecies!) cause a high mortality rate in Latin America as well.

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I have a Tityus stigmurus i thought Tityus serrulatus was the most dangerous one in Brazil but I guess its not now. I guess the main issue with the Tityus spp is its parthenogenetic and highly venomous but like you said they spread quickly. Gotta say for being on the small side Tityus spp cause a lot of trouble in the range also thanks for letting me know about the increasing mortality rate due to T.stigmurus I figured with its venom toxicity it would be number one or number two cause of fatalities in Brazil. Some research on the genus Tityus http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1216974/pdf/8611151.pdf

Last edited:

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a Tityus stigmurus i thought Tityus serrulatus was the most dangerous one in Brazil but I guess its not now. I guess the main issue with the Tityus spp is its parthenogenetic and highly venomous but like you said they spread quickly. Gotta say for being on the small side Tityus spp cause a lot of trouble in the range also thanks for letting me know about the increasing mortality rate due to T.stigmurus I figured with its venom toxicity it would be number one or number two cause of fatalities in Brazil. Some research on the genus Tityus http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1216974/pdf/8611151.pdf
I'm glad you have an interest in the scientific publications!

Anyway, I would say Tityus serrulatus and Tityus bahiensis are more venomous than T. stigmurus. Mortality rates have just been going up because of deforestation. T. stigmurus is still extremely venomous, I am not saying that it is not. Michiel Cozijn told me 'Although all Tityus species are considered medically important, some are more venomous than others.' That is something I remember very well.;) Also highly venomous species (that are in the hobby circuit) are Tityus trivittatus, T. confluens, T. zulianus, T. trinitatis, blah, blah, blah.:D

BigJ999

Arachnoknight
I'll be honest they all seem about the same to me I don't go with the whole LD50 value thing its too subjective you know. Yeah ive noticed the genus Tityus has more and more likely highly venomous species be discovered every year. But yes I figured the cutting of the forest would likely force these Tityus spp into urban area's and they are very adaptable so they would thrive in a urban setting. I'll be honest though Tityus has some of the best looking but highly venomous species ive seen they vary in color although im not sure about toxicity. My T.stigmurus kills a roach instantly with its sting and that got me to respect the Tityus genus even more :) I want a Tityus serrulatus though I have a hard time finding any Tityus in the hobby besides the one I already have and Tityus serrulatus.

2nscorpx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tityus spp. are beautiful, that is one reason I like them as well. I know for certain that Tityus stigmurus, T. serrulatus, T. bastosi, T. silvestris, T. asthenes, T. obscurus, T. simonsi (=T. ecuadorensis), and T. zulianus are in the U.S. Tityus mattogrossensis is the species I especially like, as well as others that are unfortunately not in the hobby. Also, T. trivittatus, T. confluens, T. bahiensis, T. nematochirus, T. fasciolatus, T. tayrona, T. ocelote are species in the hobby that are very photogenic.;)

As for "not as venomous" Tityus spp., I know T. bastosi, T. ocelote, T. tayrona, T. aff. tamayoi, T. ecuadorensis are not as "venomous" as others...I'm no expert though...