Too much calcium?

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
It's already dead..... Each person is entitled to their opinion. I don't keep reptiles at all, but I have fed a few. Always squishy brains. They were picky snakes.
Yeah I have heard of lacerating the f/t animal or "braining" also. It is to entice a feeding response. "The smell of blood"

@JumpingSpiderLady having worked in the meat production industry I can safely say nothing we do is more inhumane than our very own food supply, and the procedures established for rearing livestock as human beings.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Yeah I have heard of lacerating the f/t animal or "braining" also. It is to entice a feeding response. "The smell of blood"

@JumpingSpiderLady having worked in the meat production industry I can safely say nothing we do is more inhumane than our very own food supply, and the procedures established for rearing livestock as human beings.
On a mass quantity yeah I can agree live stock isn't treated the best. But on a homestead scale for some, animals are treated with a lot of care and respect. I know that when we are able to and I can raise ducks, chickens, and rabbits those little guys are going to have some of the most decked out digs I can make for them XD

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
Yes, most hungry wild specimens will take risks to take down anything they can over power. That being said its solely based on opportunity. They are not actively seeking out vertebrates to acquire other vitamins and minerals they aren't receiving from insects. It's simply an opportunistic feeding response from a hungry T trying to survive in the wild, nothing more.

lunarae

Arachnobaron
Yes, most hungry wild specimens will take risks to take down anything they can over power. That being said its solely based on opportunity. They are not actively seeking out vertebrates to acquire other vitamins and minerals they aren't receiving from insects. It's simply an opportunistic feeding response from a hungry T trying to survive in the wild, nothing more.
I wouldn't think they would actively on a conscious level seek vertebrates to acquire the nutritional value. I'm simply saying that a T that may have the occasional vertebrate in their diet due to the opportunity may fair better on a dietary level then the T without because of the nutritional value it could give them. Again I'm not stating feeding them vertebrates should become a thing, I'm simply stating that it's something that could be looked into or considered simply for the knowledge. I think people refuse to consider it at all because it disturbs them to much or feel morally it is wrong so it's not considered at all how that holds an effect to over all long term health to the T. Honestly we talk about what we feed our T's more based on the ease of breeding feeders more so then focus on nutrition a lot of the time from what I've noticed.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It seems everyone has assumed the OP used a wild caught frog. The OP only mentioned "small frog", but not the source. I think people were a bit quick to jump the trigger on that assumption. Regardless of whether you think it is OK or not to feed a frog to a T.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I agree because for some reptiles there is no choice but to feed live rodents. Because they are finnicky and no one wants to lose a 1-5k snake over the feelings of a poor little rat. But why would you even offer F/T vertebra to your t if their is no scientific proof that it has any benefit to there life compared to insect protein. I dont understand why you would even feel the need to give rodents to T's. Live or pre killed.
there is a large body of, admittedly observational only, evidence that points to the idea that offering a female for her first or second post molt feeding if you are intending to breed her is beneficial. There are others who believe that offering a T a varied diet in captivity is by default, beneficial for the T's over all health. Do I think a T should be fed mammalian prey often? I don't think a meal that big is necessary on any kind of regular basis. Do I think a T should be fed live mammalian prey? absolutely not, the risk to the T is just entirely too high but to make a blanket statement that no T ever would benefit from mammalian prey in captivity is, imo, is a little silly.. ;)

on another note; this thread is specifically posted by the OP hoping for information on whether a T needs more calcium or if the prey offered has too much calcium. There's a "Not so Spineless Wonders" forum here for discussions about live vs. F/T food items for reptiles and amphibians. ;)

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
I wouldn't think they would actively on a conscious level seek vertebrates to acquire the nutritional value. I'm simply saying that a T that may have the occasional vertebrate in their diet due to the opportunity may fair better on a dietary level then the T without because of the nutritional value it could give them. Again I'm not stating feeding them vertebrates should become a thing, I'm simply stating that it's something that could be looked into or considered simply for the knowledge. I think people refuse to consider it at all because it disturbs them to much or feel morally it is wrong so it's not considered at all how that holds an effect to over all long term health to the T. Honestly we talk about what we feed our T's more based on the ease of breeding feeders more so then focus on nutrition a lot of the time from what I've noticed.
Ive been a reptile breeder for the last 15 years and counting so the actual act of feeding any prey item does not influence my views as it may to some others.
If it were proven to be of any significant benefit to the Tarantula I would implement it myself.
My thought is that its simply unnecessary in captivity with how infrequently it likely happens in the wild (if you disregard the TV documentaries which of course are mainly staged). Not saying its detrimental at all, just not needed as MANY years of captive breeding world wide seem to have proven.
That being said as long as the captive animals best intrest is in mind then to each their own.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
there is a large body of, admittedly observational only, evidence that points to the idea that offering a female for her first or second post molt feeding if you are intending to breed her is beneficial. There are others who believe that offering a T a varied diet in captivity is by default, beneficial for the T's over all health. Do I think a T should be fed mammalian prey often? I don't think a meal that big is necessary on any kind of regular basis. Do I think a T should be fed live mammalian prey? absolutely not, the risk to the T is just entirely too high but to make a blanket statement that no T ever would benefit from mammalian prey in captivity is, imo, is a little silly.. ;)

on another note; this thread is specifically posted by the OP hoping for information on whether a T needs more calcium or if the prey offered has too much calcium. There's a "Not so Spineless Wonders" forum here for discussions about live vs. F/T food items for reptiles and amphibians. ;)
Well since no one is doing lab research and numerous people raise and breed T's without any mammalian protein that's where I draw my opinion from. Sure it may "help" post molt females gain mass quickly but is there any proof this is any better than insects? The short answer is no. You can raise any t strictly on insects. And that is a fact.
It's not something that you have to do to breed, and well that's your opinion your entitled to have it.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I wouldn't offer frogs or toads..Alot of amphibians have some type of toxin in there skin or paratoid glands..

I think varying a Ts diet with safe vertebrates is a healthy practice.. I have discussed numerous times here on the boards that I offer house geckos to my Ts at certain times of the reproductive cycle.. I also offer them as "treats" or to Ts that I have recieved that are really under weight..

I also have a few friends that breed colubrids and various species of geckos that give me any severely deformed offspring that is destined to be euthanized.

In nature Ts are opportunistic... There's no harm in varying there diet in captivity a few times a year as long as it's done responsibly.

cold blood

Staff member
I wouldn't offer frogs or toads..Alot of amphibians have some type of toxin in there skin or paratoid glands..

I think varying a Ts diet with safe vertebrates is a healthy practice.. I have discussed numerous times here on the boards that I offer house geckos to my Ts at certain times of the reproductive cycle.. I also offer them as "treats" or to Ts that I have recieved that are really under weight..

I also have a few friends that breed colubrids and various species of geckos that give me any severely deformed offspring that is destined to be euthanized.

In nature Ts are opportunistic... There's no harm in varying there diet in captivity a few times a year as long as it's done responsibly.
Hey, can you change that avatar...its freaking me out.:anxious: