Too many questions about uninteresting tarantulas and lack of common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
G. rosea cost effective? You can get a P. cancerides for just as much and you get something that doesn't fast and grows a lot bigger, or better yet I have noticed P. irminia slings going for $15. You can call me a snob all you want but at least I don't buy junk tarantulas and say they are so cute because the do a headstand on a ping pong ball. Ts are not meant to be cute, they are killers.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
My G. rosea is so uninteresting, I sometimes just want to break down and cry...
a G rosea is still a large spider in the spider world , Enjoy them before they end up on sites from too much Exporting from south america in the Atacambia desert
They are Very hard to get a sack out of , will end up being a rarer and more pricey T in the next 10+ years
Once they are on cites , expect them to Double or triple in price

my Goliath birdeater is a Pet rock also, dont cry man.... except I hope the Goliath survives its cyst

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Mod Note

Just a warning here, if the flaming gets out of hand this thread WILL be closed.

It's starting to go in that direction it would seem, and it won't be tolerated. You can discuss your differences in opinions about tarantula species without fighting. So keep it civil, or don't post.

For what it's worth my G. rosea may not be my favorite, but I certainly do not think it's a junk species. The diversity amongst all the different species is one of the things that I love about this hobby.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
And as I posted earlier, is there anyone on this forum who can argue that new people entering the hobby is a bad thing?
Ill answer with another question: Can you think of anyone that shouldnt own a pitbull?

Im curious what you think is the elitist mindset? Legit question, Im truly interested in your reply:). I know that I might come off as elite sometimes, and I want nothing more than to benefit this hobby and AB. I really like it here.

I cant say I disagree with your post, and I cant stress enough that Im asking in a friendly matter. i dont take things personally... especially on an internet forum:sarcasm:

To make one last point before I go and feed my T's: On two different threads, I politely (as polite as I am in this post) suggested the use of the search function, and I followed that with my opinion/answer to the threads question. I was broadly attacked for my responce and called elitist for suggesting "search".

On both ends of the spectrum your gonna see ignorance and cruelty. Most new and old members fit squarly in the middle. :)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
For what it's worth my G. rosea may not be my favorite, but I certainly do not think it's a junk species. The diversity amongst all the different species is one of the things that I love about this hobby.
Definitely not a junk species. I don't think any species is a junk species. It's all just opinions and we're all allowed to have our own :). Personally, my G. rosea is not my favorite but she is the one that brought me into the hobby and for that I will always love her. I'm keeping her to the end and I'm happy to do so. She's boring (I'm getting some ping pong balls to see if that lightens things up!) and I don't find her very attractive. She is always on display though which is cool.

G. roseas are very common and very cheap. So, new people often get them as their first tarantula (I did). They're great to learn on. They are forgiving and their moodiness teaches people to respect them.

---------- Post added 05-09-2012 at 01:44 PM ----------

G. rosea cost effective? You can get a P. cancerides for just as much and you get something that doesn't fast and grows a lot bigger, or better yet I have noticed P. irminia slings going for $15. You can call me a snob all you want but at least I don't buy junk tarantulas and say they are so cute because the do a headstand on a ping pong ball. Ts are not meant to be cute, they are killers.
Maybe they're not meant to be cute but my Avic. avic sling is down right adorable!

khil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some people obviously don't understand the basics and dynamics of public internet forums. My god.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ill answer with another question: Can you think of anyone that shouldnt own a pitbull?

Im curious what you think is the elitist mindset? Legit question, Im truly interested in your reply:). I know that I might come off as elite sometimes, and I want nothing more than to benefit this hobby and AB. I really like it here.

I cant say I disagree with your post, and I cant stress enough that Im asking in a friendly matter. i dont take things personally... especially on an internet forum:sarcasm:

To make one last point before I go and feed my T's: On two different threads, I politely (as polite as I am in this post) suggested the use of the search function, and I followed that with my opinion/answer to the threads question. I was broadly attacked for my responce and called elitist for suggesting "search".

On both ends of the spectrum your gonna see ignorance and cruelty. Most new and old members fit squarly in the middle. :)
Yes... I can think of lots people who shouldn't own pitbulls. I can also think of numerous people who would be excellent pitbull owners, but aren't able to be because the breed is on the restricted list of the majority of condo complexes and rental units in my county. The reason the animals are restricted is the result of a bad public image caused irresponsible/bad owners. I believe the irresponsible owership leading to hurt animals or reduced public image is where you're taking this? It is a legitimate point, but doesn't play into my arguement. If someone posts something stupid or irresponsible, by all means they should be ripped a new one. When someone is asking questions about their rosie however, they are making an attempt to be a good owner. This is true even for the newbies who haven't received their search function memo yet :)

When I called out an elitist mindset, it had nothing to do with the tone that is sometimes taken in responses to posts. It has to do with some people thinking they are superior just because they keep rarer, hotter, faster, etc,... species. The beginners G. rosea is as important to that person (probably more so) as a P metallica is to the advanced hobiest. No species, or keeper of that species, should be dismissed out of hand just because it is common, brown, inexpensive or whatever.

I'm not familiar with the threads you're talking about, Sid. I don't think it's elitist at all to suggest people use the search function, especially if you actually take the time to answer the question first.

Lol, and no offense taken at all.

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A never before asked question to appease the complainers!

What's my Ts favorite color? I really want to paint those cute little claws at the end of her feet with nail polish!

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What's goin on lately, I'm seeing to may post about G. rosea. Also a lot of questions being posted about basic things you can read in the TKG. I feel there are a lot more interesting Ts to talk about, plus I feel some the questions being asked on the boards could be answered by doing research plus some due diligence.
LV-426,

Yes, lack of common sense and uninteresting questions can get annoying. Also, what is even more annoying, is trying to decipher posts with horrid grammar, spelling and just general writing mistakes! For instance using "to" instead of "too" or saying "may" instead of "many". The funniest part about this is, I can even understand the broken English Euro posts!

Cheers,

Rob

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
LV-426,

Yes, lack of common sense and uninteresting questions can get annoying. Also, what is even more annoying, is trying to decipher posts with horrid grammar, spelling and just general writing mistakes! For instance using "to" instead of "too" or saying "may" instead of "many". The funniest part about this is, I can even understand the broken English Euro posts!

Cheers,

Rob
I try my best but I always screw up ever with every. And I always leave the r off of your.

Birdman10682

Arachnopeon
I know, let's have a "know-more-than-you" pissing contest.....oh wait, we've already covered that. That doesn't help anyone. We inquisitive idiots need knowledge more than some folks need petty validation. We know some of you have more experience, more wisdom, and plenty of helpful advice than we do. That's why we ask our "stupid" questions that seem to have a "lack of common sense". The problem is nobody will care what you know if you let your ego get in the way of what your trying to say. We'll just find somebody else on this forum who will tell us without shaming us. Just saying. No disrespect intended. I love learning all I can about these amazing creatures from whoever will teach me. But, I don't learn well in an atmosphere saturated with negativity and pridefull disdain.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Mod Note

Alright, the horse has been beaten enough...and then some.

I think pretty much every aspect of this topic has been discussed in this thread, and some very valuable points have been made, but we're going to let it die now.

Status
Not open for further replies.