Too many questions about uninteresting tarantulas and lack of common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I have a problem with sharing my opinion when I shouldn't. Opinions are the best way to piss people off.
Thats my problem too :) But it might not be a problem. I do my best to provide my opinion as information, and as my opinion, but if someone wants to take it a different way then thats their issue do deal with. But I do need to keep a lid on it more than I do...

My weightlifting metaphore is pretty bad as a metaphore, but the info is spot on;)

Heres another one:

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

The "elitists" IMHO, are tired of the people who are just after the free fish. Is it in the best interest of the hobby........

Thomas2015

Arachnopeon
I normally try not to post in dying threads, but I don't think this has been said yet. If it has, then please, please forgive me. I've been asked literally thousands of times really basic questions about everything from birds to dogs, cats and finally tarantulas. Its all stuff that you can just google from a smartphone in approximately 1 second. It's sometimes irritating, but the main thing I try to remember when I patiently answer each and every one is: regardless of whether or not the person is going to research his or her pet on their own time, they HAVE the said pet and they are GOING to take care of it, using good and possibly bad methods. Its our job as the experts to make sure the owner is educated for the sake of the tarantula, rather than just for the good of the owner. Sometimes we just have to swallow our pride and just keep answering the questions, because if we don't, then the only thing that's going to suffer is the t. This is a public forum as well, and as such is a great place to gain valuable info for veteran and beginning owners alike. And on the same token, if you see an overdone thread that you'd rather not look in . . . how hard is it to just scroll down? Hope I haven't angered anyone and I do want to say, this is an amazing forum and the people overall are quite nice. Also, I don't find Rose Hairs uninteresting . . . although they are sometimes irritable.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
Thats my problem too :) But it might not be a problem. I do my best to provide my opinion as information, and as my opinion, but if someone wants to take it a different way then thats their issue do deal with. But I do need to keep a lid on it more than I do...

My weightlifting metaphore is pretty bad as a metaphore, but the info is spot on;)

Heres another one:

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.

The "elitists" IMHO, are tired of the people who are just after the free fish. Is it in the best interest of the hobby........
I agree totaly, my whole point in the beginning was to have people do research on the animals they wish to acquire. Before I got my first two Ts I did about 2 months worth of research online and in books. If you think it's bad here go see some of the gun forums, the people on there make the "elitist" here look like angels. To all the noobs, do your research and quit your whining.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
I like where this is going. Thanks for bringing this thread back from the depths:)

@ njnolan1: Like I said in another thread, rosies are a special case. I enjoy mine because I dont see my RCF as a pet rock, I see it as more photosensitive than my other rosies. (its active when Im not looking, I swear!) But thats my POV, and for that reason I think rosies are only suited to certain T enthusiasts. I dont mean that to be rude at all:). I enjoy your posts, and think you have a good POV yourself.

Its kind of like dogs. From my personal experience, and as a true animal enthusiast it sickens me to see that the majority of dog owners dont know anything about dogs, and that popular opinion is one of acceptable ignorance. But this is more akin to the grower epidemic of popular culture... but this is a matter best saved for TWH.

And with that, I will gracefully bow out of this thread before someone comes in here calling me, and all of the other recent posters "elitists"

Lenxx

Arachnopeon
Im quite new to this site, but not to new to the hobby.
I also frekvent other forums, both in my own language and others.

It feels like one sometimes forgets what the forums really are here for....
If one does not want the newbees to post "silly" questions... then one should think about making an own closed section for the experienced users only. That way they would not even be bothered with those questions, and us that are not so experienced can only hope that someone still is willing to help us out with our silly questions.

Yeah, that may be a bit hard, i guess.... And not the smartest thing either, to shut down even the possiility to share the knowledge with the ones without it.
But seriously, thats the feeling im getting from this hole thread. Its really not encouraging to post questions after this thread, is it.

I have been reading a long time here, and i know theres a lot of knowlegde here. Most questions have been ansvered several times, i guess. Still... should one just stop asking questions, then? All exept the experienced ones? In my mind, that makes a dead forum...
Who wants that?

Off course, as a newbeen on a forum, its wise to read a bit before jumping in. Its also wise to figure out how the forum really works, as all are different. Some are more friendly and some are more knowledgeable. And if one reads and get to know the forum before one starts to ask around, theres a good chance one figures out the traps before posting...
Still.. a forum is for sharing facts and helping, as well as share the joy about the hobby itselves.
Lets not loose that, please. If that happens, and the newbees gets scared off... the forum will eventually die off.
That would be sad, as theres too many knowledgeable people here to loose. :)

That said... i also agree that the search-engine is an amazing invention ;)

And btw... i had never heard about the TKG before i came here either... Im from Norway, and i do belive one can raise and keep tarantullas quite well without knowing of one peticulare book... ;)
It really is possible ;)

Last edited:

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
Just my .02

On the left end of the spectrum, are the individuals who are interested in the novelty of the hobby. On the right, are people who are interested in the overall science of T's. the vast majority of people fit snuggly in the middle where they belong, but the polarized will always bang heads.

But to keep with your weight lifting metaphore: A 130lbs n00b shows up at the gym, and you offer him help and advice as he requests it. You even hand him Arnold's encylopedia of modern bodybuilding. He has help and books and lots of stuff he can search out on his own. But he never reads the book, and two weeks later you see the same 130lbs kid training an arm day. You shake your head angrily and ream him out, because if he took the time to do any research himself, or read the book you provided, or take your advice to heart, he would know that at 130lbs arm only days are a waste of time, and he should stick to compound movements to maximize hypertrophy. For this kid, Bent over barbell rows will do more for biceps and overall hypertrophy than a whole workout dedicated to set after set of barbell curls, hammer curls, db curls, cable curls etc.

Happy your enjoying yourself Tweed. Most people are good, even the "elitists" you speak of. Sometimes they get their feathers ruffled, but I tend to agree with their posts... I just do my best to keep my opinion to myslef in that event.
You are totally right on with your side of the metaphor. Once the info has been given, once the newbie has asked some questions, been given some answers, maybe even been taken under the wing of some more experienced enthusiasts it is up to that newbie to take all those great resources and actually use them. If they don't then I have no real sympathy(well, I would have sympathy for the spider haha). I agree that people should be doing some research on their own without asking the same questions you see on the board a lot but you have to admit that for a lot of people it is way better to learn via actually discussing info with someone.
Before I ever actually made a username on here I cruised around the site for a couple weeks reading and I finally joined when I decided I needed to actually ask some questions and get clarifications of things I had read. As well as just generally wanting to belong to what is a pretty cool community on here. But hey, I like to think I take the information I get and use it as opposed to just being the 130 kid training arms all day lol.

We are probably all a little elitist at times. That's part of the fun of being in a niche hobby right? We get to use big words like opisthosoma and a bunch of crazy abbreviations like OBT that most people don't know about. It's kind of like being a pet hobby hipster. Obviously I am joking, but just a little. Sometimes when my girlfriend and I are talking T's our friends look at us like we are speaking a different language.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The absolutely most frustrating thing is that if users only read the "read this first before posting" and "frequently asked questions" threads FIRST, then it would be enough of a difference that the forum wouldn't be diluted with the same questions over and over. I would be ecstatic with a scenario in which people read those threads, if their question was answered, great. If not, they can start a new thread. None of that pesky and laborious searching (sarcasm) necessary. That alone would change things a lot, but instead we get half a dozen of the same question a day.

*I would link to those threads but am currently using my phone to post.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
how does it get to you this bad?? Then you make a thread complaining about it; Come on bro...

"Uninteresting Tarantulas" ?? Who are you to decide whats "Interesting enough" for EVERYONE on AB????

Ri di cu lo us

hamhock 74

Arachnobaron
how does it get to you this bad?? Then you make a thread complaining about it; Come on bro..."

Uninteresting Tarantulas" ?? Who are you to decide whats "Interesting enough" for EVERYONE on AB????

Ri di cu lo us
You do realise this thread is about repetitive and redundant questions being asked over and over again right?

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
My G. rosea is so uninteresting, I sometimes just want to break down and cry...
lol awesome. Hope she doesn't end up taking a dive haha. Seriously, I was just cleaning the waterdish in Margo's enclosure(my g. rosea) and she walked up all inquisitive like. She is hardly a pet rock and hardly boring. I have owned a lot of pets in my life and no matter the type of animal it all basically depends on the individual.

LV-426

Arachnobaron
how does it get to you this bad?? Then you make a thread complaining about it; Come on bro...

"Uninteresting Tarantulas" ?? Who are you to decide whats "Interesting enough" for EVERYONE on AB????

Ri di cu lo us
Dude you have made some of the most ridiculous post since you joined the boards.

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Dude you have made some of the most ridiculous post since you joined the boards.
that was in the past (when i was a newbie) ABOUT Questions & Concerns.. and your complaining about this NOW;!! its going to happen weither you like it or not... Ab is and WILL continue to attract newbies; you cant do anything about it
Everyone makes similar posts when they start off; Stop whining

A: For you to say "uninteresting" Tarantulas is a little absurd; Thats jus your opinion which i am not against as everyone is entitles to their own opinion..

B: Not everyone knows about the TKG; But its something people find out about rather quickly or at least we hope. so i understand your point.

Last edited:

LV-426

Arachnobaron
that was in the past (when i was a newbie) ABOUT Questions & Concerns.. and your complaining about this NOW;!! its going to happen weither you like it or not... Ab is and WILL continue to attract newbies; you cant do anything about it
Everyone makes similar posts when they start off; Stop whining

A: For you to say "uninteresting" Tarantulas is a little absurd; Thats jus your opinion which i am not against as everyone is entitles to their own opinion..

B: Not everyone knows about the TKG; But its something people find out about rather quickly or at least we hope. so i understand your point.
I'm not complaining just pointing out the facts. The reason I say a roses is uninteresting because of all the recent " oh my rosie did this" or " why isn't my rosie eating" or " my rosie is so cute". Plus they are very unattractive and don't do anything that another species of T can do. If you look at my species list I take pride in having species that most overlook like P. platus, Pamphobeteus sp. Ecuador, Ephebopus rufescens, etc. If you want a G. rosea go for it, just don't complain why it hasn't eatin in 2 years.

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thought this thread was dead and forgotten... The reason there are so many posts about G. rosea is because it is the current entry level spider that is the species most likely to introduce new people into the hobby. Nobody has said at any point in this thread that everyone who is into Ts must have a G. rosea. However, to just dismiss the species because it is common is very counter productive in my opinion. What's worse, to dismiss the people who not only keep them, but actually make an effort to join AB in order to keep them correctly, is detrimental to the hobby as a whole. You just named a nice list of species that are relatively uncommon. Do you really think those species would be available if there were only a few dozen people who kept Ts in the US? Probably not. And like it or not, one of the reasons that there are more than a couple dozen collectors in the US is because of G. rosea. I'm not trying to be insulting in any way, but the elitist mindset really annoys me. I love keeping these animals, and I enjoy it immensely when I am able to share that passion with another person. I don't care if it is a discussion about the most common T in the hobby, and I don't care if it's about a topic that has been beaten into the ground on this forum. The fact of the matter is that if someone is willing to dicuss it, that someone is likely going to become hooked sooner rather than later. And as I posted earlier, is there anyone on this forum who can argue that new people entering the hobby is a bad thing? Sorry for the rant, and hope I didn't offend anyone. It just bugs me when people don't recognize that this hobby is dependent on getting and keeping new members. Oh, and last word on G. rosea... It isn't a ping pong ball :) Hopefully she'll ignore the constant banging from construction around my house for the next couple weeks and not eat it, lol.
photo.JPG

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The reason I say a roses is uninteresting because of all the recent " oh my rosie did this" or " why isn't my rosie eating" or " my rosie is so cute". Plus they are very unattractive and don't do anything that another species of T can do. If you look at my species list I take pride in having species that most overlook like P. platus, Pamphobeteus sp. Ecuador, Ephebopus rufescens, etc.
Really? That attitude just reeks of downright snobbery. I'm particularly pleased with my collection, too. But, I don't belittle anyone who doesn't keep the same species that I do. I have very few arboreals and zero poecilotheria. I just don't like them. Nor am I impressed in the least with the species you named. I wouldn't trade my roseas for any of them. That doesn't make either of us wrong or right. It makes us individuals.

bchbum said it well:
The reason there are so many posts about G. rosea is because it is the current entry level spider that is the species most likely to introduce new people into the hobby. Nobody has said at any point in this thread that everyone who is into Ts must have a G. rosea. However, to just dismiss the species because it is common is very counter productive in my opinion. What's worse, to dismiss the people who not only keep them, but actually make an effort to join AB in order to keep them correctly, is detrimental to the hobby as a whole. You just named a nice list of species that are relatively uncommon. Do you really think those species would be available if there were only a few dozen people who kept Ts in the US? Probably not. And like it or not, one of the reasons that there are more than a couple dozen collectors in the US is because of G. rosea.
G. roseas are also very cost effective for someone starting out in the hobby.

---------- Post added 05-09-2012 at 06:23 AM ----------

Ping pong ball? I would type more but I have to go look for a ping pong ball.
Yep, ping pong ball. This rosea and my equally boring and common immature male LP love their ping pong balls!
Just to be clear. I am aware they don't really 'love' their toys, but they do spend a lot of time moving them around their enclosures, in and out of the water bowls and hides, covering them with substrate, cleaning them off, etc...
:coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.