Too many questions about uninteresting tarantulas and lack of common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toogledoo

Arachnoknight
If the thread is started in Tarantula Chat, it won't increase your post count. Tarantula Questions and Discussions will.
Didn't know that, thanks! They're not all posted in Tarantula Chat though.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
As a person who answers questions all day for a living, I can tell you this is societal. I can't tell you how many times I have to tell people where the damned book drop is(under the 6-foot sign that says Return Materials Here), why aren't there batteries in my Playaway(read the neon yellow sticker on the case that says, *batteries not included*), what time are you open(did you somehow miss the the THREE signs on the way in or the massive internet page or the stack of brochures?!). Turn your cell phone off, eyes up, use the literacy that has been provided to you via a prosperous society. If you can't take a little personal friggin' responsibility for yourself there's always the knitting forum(although I doubt if they'd put up with your lazy cowturds either).

If you don't start by asking the questions of yourself you will end up asking this one:

"Would you like fries with that?"

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you can't take a little personal friggin' responsibility for yourself there's always the knitting forum(although I doubt if they'd put up with your lazy cowturds either).

If you don't start by asking the questions of yourself you will end up asking this one:

damn.. lol. brutal but true

hippiebrian

Arachnopeon
As a person who answers questions all day for a living, I can tell you this is societal. I can't tell you how many times I have to tell people where the damned book drop is(under the 6-foot sign that says Return Materials Here), why aren't there batteries in my Playaway(read the neon yellow sticker on the case that says, *batteries not included*), what time are you open(did you somehow miss the the THREE signs on the way in or the massive internet page or the stack of brochures?!). Turn your cell phone off, eyes up, use the literacy that has been provided to you via a prosperous society. If you can't take a little personal friggin' responsibility for yourself there's always the knitting forum(although I doubt if they'd put up with your lazy cowturds either).

With all that patience you seem to have, you may consider a carreer change...

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
With all that patience you seem to have, you may consider a carreer change...
Sorry, did I insult your employer? When you've worked in the same industry for 10 years + and watched patronage devolve as I have then you will have earned the right to make that statement. If you're not too stricken with a sense of entitlement or general apathy you can search and see where I've assisted many folks here and followed up in a lot of cases. Am I always pleasant? No. Do I always get it right? Nein. At least I can say that my actions speak much louder than your off the cuff remarks.

hippiebrian

Arachnopeon
Sorry, did I insult your employer? When you've worked in the same industry for 10 years + and watched patronage devolve as I have then you will have earned the right to make that statement. If you're not too stricken with a sense of entitlement or general apathy you can search and see where I've assisted many folks here and followed up in a lot of cases. Am I always pleasant? No. Do I always get it right? Nein. At least I can say that my actions speak much louder than your off the cuff remarks.
Wow! Umm, it was a joke, man, sorry...I meant nothing by it, and understand how frustrating it may be. BTW, feel free to insult my employer, I work for the evil oil industry...heck, I insult them all the time!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
You know what, 'brian? I apologize for that. Without going into details it's been a very rough week and the topic hit a little close to home. I should really avoid contentious topics when I'm stressed. No hard feelings, I hope you enjoy it here. I know I do, even with all the sweaty humanity and swordplay:biggrin:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Wow! Umm, it was a joke, man, sorry...I meant nothing by it, and understand how frustrating it may be. BTW, feel free to insult my employer, I work for the evil oil industry...heck, I insult them all the time!
I find that if you include an unnecessary amount of smileys (;) :} :) :D :rolleyes:)......

.....:)cool::happy::laugh::giggle::coffee::ninja:)......

People still flame you.

hippiebrian

Arachnopeon
You know what, 'brian? I apologize for that. Without going into details it's been a very rough week and the topic hit a little close to home. I should really avoid contentious topics when I'm stressed. No hard feelings, I hope you enjoy it here. I know I do, even with all the sweaty humanity and swordplay:biggrin:
No big deal. 50 years on the planet has given me a pretty thick skin. I am enjoying it here, and it seems I'm one of the few that does use the search feature right away, but trust me, being new that will probably not bar me from asking some stupid questions, I'm sure! Sorry in advance, lol!

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
watched patronage devolve
Methinks you may have hit the nail on the head. It's not just the patronage at your place of employment that has devolved, it's society as a whole. People are no longer encouraged or expected to think for themselves. We now live in the age of instant gratification where spoon feeding and No Child Left Behind is the norm.

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
I myself am pretty much a noob, but am also a little sick of the same old questions being asked over and over. Unlike some I am into researching anything I'm interested in heavily. Both for the sake of my animals, and for having that knowledge available in my mind to reference when needed. I have never had a problem with tarantulas and I'm glad, because the backlash most of the time can be pretty brutal I have observed. I'm grateful to all on the forums though for asking "stupid" questions, and to those that have answered them, as I have learned from their experiences. Not that I've had the problems others have had, but I won't have to be the idiot being belittled should I have similar issues.

DannyH

Arachnobaron
I read the first OP thing and gasped in horror when they implied G. rosea aren't interesting! They may be pet rocks, btu when they do move, its almost always something strange.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
I myself am pretty much a noob, but am also a little sick of the same old questions being asked over and over. Unlike some I am into researching anything I'm interested in heavily. Both for the sake of my animals, and for having that knowledge available in my mind to reference when needed. I have never had a problem with tarantulas and I'm glad, because the backlash most of the time can be pretty brutal I have observed. I'm grateful to all on the forums though for asking "stupid" questions, and to those that have answered them, as I have learned from their experiences. Not that I've had the problems others have had, but I won't have to be the idiot being belittled should I have similar issues.
It says something that newcomers feel that they're belittled for asking certain questions. I haven't noticed anything that actually seemed like belittling, but I can certainly see where that's coming from.

The thing is, this forum is definitely brazen sometimes. When someone gives a very direct, brutally accurate answer to a beginner's question it can certainly come across as a bit belittling if you aren't expecting it, but once you get used to it, the group here seems generally very helpful and informative. :)

Jquack530

Arachnosquire
I myself have not felt belittled (but then again I haven't asked any questions ha), but then again I would do research on the forums, and if no answer was found then I would pose a question if needed. I understand exactly what you're saying, but have seen more than just a little bit of rude behavior from others towards noobs. I guess I can just see things from both sides. On one side, I see people are just really not checking things out and posting ridiculously over asked questions, and on the other people who are sick of seeing these same questions being asked, and getting frustrated by it. Which is understandable of course. Anyways, I just wish like other people have said that others would remember when they were new to tarantula keeping and didn't know everything yet. And to the other noobs, do some research first for the sake of everyone. There is atleast 1 G. rosea question on every page that stretches back to what seems like...the dawn of modern man. :o_O:

Last edited:

natakamani

Arachnopeon
Hmmm.....

I must use this board strangely.... I joined I dont even know how long ago, and have only a handful of posts.
This is for 2 reasons...
One, its not terribly friendly on here... I dont have to post often to read posts, and yeah... Its not really very welcoming for the newbie at times.
Two, I DO use the search forum. Ive lurked on here many a time, when I had concerns about my T's... And for any questions I have had, I have jumped on, searched, and felt no need to interact with the ravening hoard.

That being said I felt the need to put in my own .02.... And on an old thread no less:giggle:
There are no uninteresting T's. Ive been keeping for some time, and I still adore my Rosie. And it seems just a bit condescending to just assume that they are boring because they are well known. Kinda disturbing to me, honestly, considering what hell is played with native populations of T's when the hobby finds a new 'interesting' one and overharvests.

Newbies DO need to be directed to areas where their questions have already been answered, but theres no need to be a dick about it... And also, (granted, I havent checked in here in a loooong time, so that might have changed) but it wasnt exactly all in one place. And, since I remember what it was like to be a newbie, I can point out the panic that sets in.... Many ARE incredibly enthusiastic, and when it seems something is going wrong, the panic rat starts playing hell with them... Thus, they want to know what to do NOW. Something to keep in mind.

And heres the part where I run away for a few more years... Cheers!

Last edited:

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
*new guy to hobbie jumps on arachnoboards to do a little pre purchase T research and finds the first post in this this thread* "Oh, g. roseas are uninteresting? What counts as an interesting T? *searches around* Wow people seem to think Pokies are cool I should buy one of those and have an "interesting" tarantula for my first one!" Probably not the best idea right? Not to say that it isn't ok to start off with a more challenging T than some of the usual starters but you see what I am getting at. I started off with a rosea and she has been the perfect gateway tarantula. I agree with the above poster.

Being fairly new to this forum as well as having been the new guy in many hobby situations I can say that being elitist is always the wrong way to go. Sure we all love our knowledge but the hobby doesn't grow by making it difficult for new folks to get into . The hobby grows(and gains respectability) by giving newcomers support and proper knowledge.

I would actually compare it to getting into weight training. It isn't the meatheads who scoff at the out of shape guy trying to lift weights who are the true ambassadors of the hobby it is the experienced lifters who offer advice and help. Being a snob can be gratifying but being a teacher is way better.

On a positive note, my experience here has been pretty awesome so far. Mostly good folks in my opinion.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Just my .02

On the left end of the spectrum, are the individuals who are interested in the novelty of the hobby. On the right, are people who are interested in the overall science of T's. the vast majority of people fit snuggly in the middle where they belong, but the polarized will always bang heads.

But to keep with your weight lifting metaphore: A 130lbs n00b shows up at the gym, and you offer him help and advice as he requests it. You even hand him Arnold's encylopedia of modern bodybuilding. He has help and books and lots of stuff he can search out on his own. But he never reads the book, and two weeks later you see the same 130lbs kid training an arm day. You shake your head angrily and ream him out, because if he took the time to do any research himself, or read the book you provided, or take your advice to heart, he would know that at 130lbs arm only days are a waste of time, and he should stick to compound movements to maximize hypertrophy. For this kid, Bent over barbell rows will do more for biceps and overall hypertrophy than a whole workout dedicated to set after set of barbell curls, hammer curls, db curls, cable curls etc.

Happy your enjoying yourself Tweed. Most people are good, even the "elitists" you speak of. Sometimes they get their feathers ruffled, but I tend to agree with their posts... I just do my best to keep my opinion to myslef in that event.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Just my .02

On the left end of the spectrum, are the individuals who are interested in the novelty of the hobby. On the right, are people who are interested in the overall science of T's. the vast majority of people fit snuggly in the middle where they belong, but the polarized will always bang heads.

But to keep with your weight lifting metaphore: A 130lbs n00b shows up at the gym, and you offer him help and advice as he requests it. You even hand him Arnold's encylopedia of modern bodybuilding. He has help and books and lots of stuff he can search out on his own. But he never reads the book, and two weeks later you see the same 130lbs kid training an arm day. You shake your head angrily and ream him out, because if he took the time to do any research himself, or read the book you provided, or take your advice to heart, he would know that at 130lbs arm only days are a waste of time, and he should stick to compound movements to maximize hypertrophy. For this kid, Bent over barbell rows will do more for biceps and overall hypertrophy than a whole workout dedicated to set after set of barbell curls, hammer curls, db curls, cable curls etc.

Happy your enjoying yourself Tweed. Most people are good, even the "elitists" you speak of. Sometimes they get their feathers ruffled, but I tend to agree with their posts... I just do my best to keep my opinion to myslef in that event.
I have a problem with sharing my opinion when I shouldn't. Opinions are the best way to piss people off.

Status
Not open for further replies.