Too many questions about uninteresting tarantulas and lack of common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Still, I know I won't be kicking back any beers with any of the members of this forum when I hear they're in my town, as I have done with members of other fora whom I now call real friends.
Why not ? I have and would again .
There's alot of different personalities if chance happens that you hang out ... so what ?
As to topic, I see the point but that's just how it is.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I've been here two years and have had no problem. Yeah, I've had some disputes with some people, but it doesn't bother me. It doesnt matter. And I started out here asking some pretty redundant questions, but I didn't start crying or going off on people just because I got the answer "use the search function". The only people I see complaining are all the new users who aren't used to the forum. If you stuck around long enough and grew some thicker skin, you'd see this is a community of enthusiasts. If you're gonna whine about being told to use the search function then go somewhere else. Boohoo.
I started in the Scorpion section. Boy are they nicer over there LOL. Honestly though, I had some very helpful people when I first started with my newbie questions that weren't written that long ago. Some people come off a little smug sometimes but the arguments seem to really start when the newbie fights back.

TOO NEWBIES: Research! Do your research on your question and do your research on how to approach it. Say something that lets people know you at least tried to find the write information. I had my doozies. Looking to be spoon fed.
This is my first post on AB http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?215478-My-emperor-wont-come-out.&highlight=njnolan1
I see now the mistakes of my questions. It was so nice to have people answer me and assure me that it was doing fine.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
Why not ? I have and would again .
There's alot of different personalities if chance happens that you hang out ... so what ?
As to topic, I see the point but that's just how it is.
Just because, as a general rule, they're not quite friendly enough for me to want to meet in person, and I'm possessive about my free time. There are definitely a couple I'd be interested in meeting personally, but not most. This is probably true of 99% of the population, though, so it's not exactly a criticism of this community. I value the knowledge that people here have and their willingness to share it. I value the opportunity to read what they have to say without commenting at all. I appreciate their input on my enclosures and husbandry, because they sure are shoot know what they're talking about!!! But, the community as a whole is not friendly enough for me to seek out meetings with its members in real life.

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mmmm I c . So you would; however you are not actively pursuing to .

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
mmmm I c . So you would; however you are not actively pursuing to .
If I happened to be at the same place at the same time as another member, and there was beer, I'd surely spend some time chatting. Or even if I happened to run into someone at a show and we were all hungry and ppl wanted to go to lunch, I probably would. :) But if I find out that some member is coming to Boston to visit family, I wouldn't send a PM and ask for a lunch date or a hike (as I have done with people from another board and as they have done with me). That's all.

Edited to add: Except for one person. There's one person I would seek out. Just not the 10-15 or so that I would or have sought out from my cornsnake fora.

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
Didn't your mother tell you you aren't supposed to meet strangers off the internet lol? (Sorry I couldn't resist!)

~Dano

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
As a person who is new to this forum I feel I am able to speak up on behalf of the "newbies". When you start forums can be tricky places... So you join up, look at the various places you can post, get confused so you post it where you think it might go. Then you get someone telling you you have posted it in the wrong section, read the stickies (which you have no idea what they are)!
Tell me about it! ;) I just learned what "stickies" were from this thread! Thanks agian "Formerphobe"!

~Dano

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
there's really no community of enthusiasts here, its more like jerks who just pick each other apart. [sorry for you if you don't get that people want to just show, and tell, and obsess about their PET on a PETS forum]
It's definitely not for everyone, especially if the person being corrected doesn't have thick skin. It can be rough, but you can learn. If we all tiptoe around each other and never do any correcting, nobody will learn. If someone can't take correction, their chances of taking care of their Ts incorrectly are increased.

chowser

Arachnopeon
What's goin on lately, I'm seeing to may post about G. rosea. Also a lot of questions being posted about basic things you can read in the TKG. I feel there are a lot more interesting Ts to talk about, plus I feel some the questions being asked on the boards could be answered by doing research plus some due diligence.

wow.. this post just makes me want to find a new forum.. when people are on their high horse and the only advice they give is new people to the hobby need to stop asking questions and just go away. I'm new to the hobby and to this forum, and with jerks like this on here i will be finding somewhere new to start up conversation and get advice. thank you LV-426 for letting me know i do not need to waste my time posting or reading on this forum anymore. way to spread the word and popularity about the hobby.

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
wow.. this post just makes me want to find a new forum.. when people are on their high horse and the only advice they give is new people to the hobby need to stop asking questions and just go away. I'm new to the hobby and to this forum, and with jerks like this on here i will be finding somewhere new to start up conversation and get advice. thank you LV-426 for letting me know i do not need to waste my time posting or reading on this forum anymore. way to spread the word and popularity about the hobby.
I agree, chowser. Isn't this forum for everyone interested in tarantulas et al.? This may be also people who are thinking of getting a tarantula so they come here to get advice. From the horse's mouth, so to speak. If I didn't have the personality that I do have (dominant and rational), I would have taken offense at some people's comments on this thread. However, because I think most people who spout :poop: are full of :poop:, I make sure the :poop: they spout is questioned. Yes, we know there are stickies and threads about the staples of tarantula keeping *BUT* if this is what people should be looking at *BEFORE* posting, then the interaction (i.e., the "living aspect" of this place) would be rendered redundant. *SOME* people forget that it's also important for the not-so-new hobbyists to go over what they know with new hobbyists as it fosters, underpins and solidifies their own learning and knowledge about keeping tarantulas. Not everyone can be considered an expect (sic.), like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0y4PrjRnII (the guy's a silly arse if you ask me).

Last edited by a moderator:

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The last two posts......tears in my eyes...

PS. If i let my rose hair drink chocolate milk, will it get pregnant? I did use the search function but couldn't find it....:D

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9001 met Tapatalk

Ludedor24

FangzTv
Old Timer
PS. If i let my rose hair drink chocolate milk, will it get pregnant? I did use the search function but couldn't find it....:D

Try to keep it in the dark and on the dry side...and for pete sake don't feed your mogwai after midnight!

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think you should get off your high horse ludedor,.my question was serious...Now I am out of this forum!! LMAO:D

James P

Arachnopeon
Hmm I think there have been a few people on here feeding themselves after midnight.
And no Michiel, if you feed your rose hair chocolate milk it will not get pregant, sorry but your mum lied about one.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You haven't even been here a month.

You also don't appear to be able to take things in context. I saw nothing on LV-426's post that says you need to stop asking questions and go away. I see, "I feel some (of) the questions being asked on the boards could be answered by doing research plus some due diligence."

If you take that to mean 'stop asking questions and just go away'...then I don't know that anything anyone can say will change your very clouded view of this site.

I agree, chowser. Isn't this forum for everyone interested in tarantulas et al.? This may be also people who are thinking of getting a tarantula so they come here to get advice. From the horse's mouth, so to speak. If I didn't have the personality that I do have (dominant and rational), I would have taken offense at some people's comments on this thread. However, because I think most people who spout :poop: are full of :poop:, I make sure the :poop: they spout is questioned. Yes, we know there are stickies and threads about the staples of tarantula keeping *BUT* if this is what people should be looking at *BEFORE* posting, then the interaction (i.e., the "living aspect" of this place) would be rendered redundant. *SOME* people forget that it's also important for the not-so-new hobbyists to go over what they know with new hobbyists as it fosters, underpins and solidifies their own learning and knowledge about keeping tarantulas. Not everyone can be considered an expect (sic.), like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0y4PrjRnII (the guy's a silly arse if you ask me).
Did you happen to read/retain anything from these posts:

If people would stop asking the stupid (or repeat, take your pick) questions, then the discussion forum's front page would be full of threads that are actually semi important or require more brainpower and discussion than 'why won't my rosie eat?' or 'does this look like premolt?' or any other similar threads.

This would lead to more intelligent conversation and people learning tons more than seeing the same five or ten questions asked over and over again.

There is also no way possible that every question has been asked. I continually think of things that I have never seen covered on AB (that doesn't mean they have never been addressed before), but you get my point. Keep your eye on the boards, you'll see. That is, if you aren't bombarded by all the 'noop' :? questions.

And as far as your missing the recent thread about this exact same thing...if you had taken the time to search and find it, it probably would have taken less of it than it would have to start your new thread and post your replies thus far. So saying you would rather spend time with your arachnids is another statement that really makes no sense.

Learning how to use this forum and its tools is just as valuable as learning about the arachnids you and I both love. Something everyone on these boards has in common, even if that's the only thing.

I believe your question has been answered and there is no more reason to post on this thread. Of course, I expect you will respond to me, which is fine. :) However, based on what you said, shouldn't the mods lock this thread down now that your question has been answered? :?

(obligatory smileys so people don't think I'm being mean):

:) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :} {D

--Joe
My take on all of this. ;)

There are some threads, handling, taming, hybrids, vertebrate feeding and common G. rosea stuff for example, that have been beaten to death soooo many times on here, that pretty much everything can be answered by using the search function.

For the more controversial ones (hybrids, taming etc) the best bet really is the search function, to avoid starting yet another 10 page war that ends up getting locked.

The same goes for the basic questions like "how do I take care of a G. rosea?" there is a great sticky and TONS of info to be found with the search function.

I'm not saying don't start new threads, because yes, that is what this forum is for, what I'm saying is search first. If it's something that comes up over and over again, chances are we don't need another thread on it, and your answers can be found there.

If you don't find your answers or have something new or different to say, go for it. :) The tarantula chat subforum is for chatting about our spiders etc, it just gets a little redundant to see 10 G. rosea threads all going at once on the first page.

It's not about NOT starting new threads, it's about using the incredible resources here and adding and contributing to the forum in a positive way. Not cluttering it up with the same old threads over and over. :)

Just my .02
How do you know people do research and read the rules/stickies before posting?

Try to keep it in the dark and on the dry side...and for pete sake don't feed your mogwai after midnight!
I think you should get off your high horse ludedor,.my question was serious...Now I am out of this forum!! LMAO:D
Useless forum clutter and trolling. It's like you're trying to mock the smart people but only making yourselves look dumb.

Hmm I think there have been a few people on here feeding themselves after midnight.
I completely agree.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
@ jamesp That lying b...... She promised me! Lol!
@xhexdex:

I am mocking noobs with big ego's and low frustration tolerance levels, that rocket of AB after one critical or funny remark....crying and all. Others did get that btw...

Haven't been feeding myself anything after midnight btw...I think humor and a bit of fun is important in life...

Last edited:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
not for me!

I took the time to sign up for the forums, read though a few topics, posted a few probing topics, and concluded;

there's really no info on the site that's worth dealing with condescending jerks to get. [sorry if any of the topics posted were sooo far beneath you] lol

there's really no community of enthusiasts here, its more like jerks who just pick each other apart. [sorry for you if you don't get that people want to just show, and tell, and obsess about their PET on a PETS forum]

Thus this site goes in the junk drawer of "maybe useful.... someday" bookmarks.

Would I recommend this site?
No.
Honestly, I've never been on a forum that didn't require thick skin from time to time. I've learned quite a bit here and met some friendly, interesting people. If that's really the way you feel about the folks on this site, then I don't think you'll be missed. I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

matt82

Arachnoknight
Serous question here folks; what T should I get next?? :D
(^^ignore/disregard ;) )

This may be a slightly off-topic comment, but as a newish member on AB, I find it excellent, and a lot of google searches will bring you right here anyway; this shows what a credible source of info it is.
My advice to any newcomer is take from AB what you will, and don't be discouraged from asking newbie questions, you'll generally get great advice, intended to clear up your question.

If someone says Use the search function (I need to learn to use it more myself, would save a lot of sifting), bear in mind this is a MASSIVE forum, especially for one that caters for mainly taratulas, and as a result, there is a possibility the Q has been answered many times before. Nothing wrong with asking again, but this might explain why certain Qs may seem to be met with apathetic responses.

I like to answer some total newbie Qs on here myself sometimes, if I can, as I am only a newbie, or "fledgling" T keeper myself, and I can also appreciate what it's like to be new to forum use in general(I found even much smaller forums than AB a little daunting when I set off keeping exotic reptiles etc, and had not used any kind of boards before)
As already mentioned in this thread though, "stickies" and "search" function are invaluable tools, regardless of what forum you use.

Some veteran members here will post the "use the search function" response, but generally out of genuine assistance; if others respond with clearly arrogant responses (I do not mean anyone specifically btw, but ALL forums have a couple ;) ) , it is just a case of ignoring them and waiting for the good advice.
On a forum like this, the constructive responses FAR outweigh the negative ones, in my brief experience here. Just a couple of pennies worth from me.

Last edited:

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I'm going to chime in again. ;)

I don't feel that the OP was in any way attacking "noobs" or posting this in an effort to make them "go away." It was more about (IMO) using the resources that this forum has to offer in a positive way, which everybody here can stand to do, new or not. This quote below is an extremely valid point, and very true, but not an attack on anyone.

I feel some the questions being asked on the boards could be answered by doing research plus some due diligence.
This thread has also, with the exception of a few posts of course, led to a good conversation on how these boards can be used to their fullest extent. If people have chosen to ignore the good insightful posts and the advice they have to offer, and instead take this thread as an attack, that is their choice, but I don't see that happening here. I feel that focusing on the positive in this thread, and the advice given on how to maximize your time on these boards, is what people should be doing. Those of us that have been here a while, are only trying to help by giving our opinion on using the search function and doing research, we are not trying to make anyone go away or feel unwelcome.

How you are responded to on this forum, and what you get from it, is largely your choice, just like anything in life. If you take constructive criticism in stride and choose to use it and learn from it, you will get far. Like anything in life, there will be the odd jerk, by choosing to have thick skin and taking the good with the bad, you will be fine. If you get defensive about everything (be it constructive criticism and actual rude replies) you are only going to create a hostile situation.

We are all responsible for our own words and our own learning. Be respectful, take the good advice that has been offered in this thread and above all, if you really dislike someone's post...be the bigger person and do not escalate the situation.

I love this forum, I have met many people from it, and made some very good real life friends...have I been criticized ever? Yes. Have people ever been rude to me? Occasionally...that's life, it will happen many other times and places, take it in stride, and you will find this forum is an incredible resource and a fun place to be.

Edit* Just an afterthought, if we are going to keep advising people to search, we really need to stop giving them a hard time for bumping old threads. A little friendly joking around is fine, if they are answering questions that are like 8 yrs old, but really, bumping an old thread is a great way to keep the good info circulating, as well as proof that people are searching.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.