Too many questions about uninteresting tarantulas and lack of common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
ummmm.... I searched and checked the dictionary, couldn't find and still don't know what LPS is.... anyone help a n00b out here?

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
ummmm.... I searched and checked the dictionary, couldn't find and still don't know what LPS is.... anyone help a n00b out here?
LPS stands for local pet store. ;)

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are two or three stickies either in this subforum or in Tarantula Questions & Discussions that have lists of common acronyms and terms used in this hobby. Take a peek. :)

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
There are two or three stickies either in this subforum or in Tarantula Questions & Discussions that have lists of common acronyms and terms used in this hobby. Take a peek. :)
Will do, thanks =)

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It has absolutely NOTHING to do with reluctance to part with knowledge about keeping tarantulas. There are no tricks up my (or anyone else's) sleeves when it comes to tarantula keeping. If someone's not answering a question, it's probably because they've already answered it a dozen times within the last two weeks, and simply can not be bothered to waste their time on it again. There is a significant level of investment that comes with answering questions on a forum. It takes a lot of time that hopefully is returned when a "noob" becomes a more experienced keeper and can contribute themselves. Answering basic questions repeatedly does not have a good return on investment. If the answer is already readily available, then why answer it again? To reiterate, it takes TIME to answer questions. It is inconvenient for those of us with jobs and busy schedules.

How to care for a G. rosea has not become outdated in the last 48 hours since the last time someone asked.

While this is an extreme example, many (manymanymany) times it is entirely accurate. Just do a run through the tarantula chat and tarantula questions and discussions forums. How many times do you see something along the lines of:
Why won't my tarantula eat?!?!?!
Is this pre-molt?!?!
Is this a good species for me to get next?
How do I sex my tarantula?

Honestly, it becomes very tiresome. People ask questions that are simple to answer themselves with just a modicum of research. These questions are asked on a nearly daily basis. When you take the time to answer a question thoughtfully and to the best of your ability, citing references and personal experience, and then somebody asks the EXACT same question a day later, it gets very discouraging. I'm sure a lot of more experienced keepers simply stop posting because the forum has become inundated with the same threads over and over again. I spent a good 2 years away from the forum, and that was a significant reason (not the primary, but definitely a factor) why. What you refer to as "sharing information with each other" very quickly becomes spoon feeding answers to people that don't research even the most basic things themselves. I have no problem with answering "noob" questions. Many can be interesting and thought-provoking. I like being forced to defend and analyze my husbandry practices. It makes me a better tarantula keeper. Seeing the same threads over and over and the same questions over and over does not.

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
I think some lose interest in the hobby.
I bet a lot of people only buy that one G. rosea! Ask their questions and then no longer feel the need to use arachnoboards. Not everyone is as enthusiastic about our hobby and not everyone feels the need to own more than one tarantula. How many questions can you ask when you only plan on owning one tarantula? Personally, I don't know what I would do without arachnoboards! Everyone on here has been very helpful and it is always nice to converse with other people who share my passion. :)

~Dano

---------- Post added 01-24-2012 at 02:10 PM ----------

Just an idea, but maybe it is time to create a new "Tab/Link" under tarantulas. Instead of "Tarantula Questions & Discussions" it could be separated into two different categories? "Basic Tarantula Questions" - including questions about:
  • What spider should I get next?
  • Why isn't my rose hair eating?
  • Is my spider dead or molting?
  • How do I keep spiderlings?
  • Should I use a heat pad?
  • How often do I mist?
  • <insert any other repeat 'how-to' or 'what is wrong?' topic here>
And then "Advanced/Scientific Tarantula Questions & Discussions"

I think this would solve everything, but that is just me! This would weed out all the reoccurring posts (because all those questions would already be in that area for newer people to find!) and would also allow enthusiasts a place of their own to ask/discuss more scientific questions without being bothered/distracted by basic or easier threads! I know as an aspiring field biologist I would love a place where I can just read purely scientific discussions. I think I spend more time reading these threads than posting! ;)

Anyways, that is my opinion. Take it or leave it! I don't really care.

~Dano

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Splitting the boards wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO. The only thing is how do you deal with the existing threads when doing so? It would be a shame to lose them!

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is really meant more so for those who want everything to be "spoon fed" to them and prefer others do the research for them, rather then they spend those same 45 extra seconds doing it themselves. I don't think anyone here has any issues with "legitimate" questions or posts, if worded properly. I have a lot more respect for someone who mentions in their post that they have taken the time to try to find the answers and either had another question or maybe even just didn't quite understand what they had found and was looking for further clarification. By all means, either bump those threads or start a new one. :)
I'm a huge fan of people bumping old threads with new and relevant questions or information. On some forums you get crucified for bumping old threads regardless of the reason, which I just can't agree with.

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
Splitting the boards wouldn't be a bad idea, IMO. The only thing is how do you deal with the existing threads when doing so? It would be a shame to lose them!
Very true! There is a lot of good information in those threads! I imagine it would be possible to keep all the old threads, but that would require someone who is savvy with computers and that is not my field of expertise lol.

~Dano

---------- Post added 01-24-2012 at 03:35 PM ----------

I'm a huge fan of people bumping old threads with new and relevant questions or information. On some forums you get crucified for bumping old threads regardless of the reason, which I just can't agree with.
Good, because that is what I do best! ;)

~Dano

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
jayefbe and Arachno Dano have some good comments and suggestions, however... there are already stickies leading people to many of their answers if they would only bother to look. Adding extra tabs/forum headings would not prevent people from continuing to post 'noob questions' under inappropriate headings. (i.e. "Where can I buy a [_____]" under every heading except the Classifieds.)

Yes, it does get tedious sometimes reading redundant posts with questions that could be easily answered with a little reading. There is no law stating that every experienced hobbyist needs to respond to every thread. It's easy enough to run your mouse over a title, see the gist of the thread, and move on if you don't want to be bothered.

As someone else stated, some people post to feel like they are a part of the whole. For some it is a passing fancy. Some become downright nuisances spewing a wealth of misinformation, be they temporary or otherwise. Still others become valued, purposeful, contributors.

A forum like this is also rife with opinions. I don't happen to think Grammostola rosea is an uninteresting species. I really like my rosea, and my other 'boring' terrestrials. :)

macj1983

Arachnosquire
jayefbe and Arachno Dano have some good comments and suggestions, however... there are already stickies leading people to many of their answers if they would only bother to look. Adding extra tabs/forum headings would not prevent people from continuing to post 'noob questions' under inappropriate headings. (i.e. "Where can I buy a [_____]" under every heading except the Classifieds.)

Yes, it does get tedious sometimes reading redundant posts with questions that could be easily answered with a little reading. There is no law stating that every experienced hobbyist needs to respond to every thread. It's easy enough to run your mouse over a title, see the gist of the thread, and move on if you don't want to be bothered.

As someone else stated, some people post to feel like they are a part of the whole. For some it is a passing fancy. Some become downright nuisances spewing a wealth of misinformation, be they temporary or otherwise. Still others become valued, purposeful, contributors.

A forum like this is also rife with opinions. I don't happen to think Grammostola rosea is an uninteresting species. I really like my rosea, and my other 'boring' terrestrials. :)
Well said agree 10x

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
jayefbe and Arachno Dano have some good comments and suggestions, however... there are already stickies leading people to many of their answers if they would only bother to look.
Can you point me in the right direction please? What are "stickies" and where can I find them? Is that what is on the homepage? "Stickies" are different than threads? I am still a little confused.

~Dano

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know the proper techno-speak... Stickies are threads at the top of each forum that have 'permanent' status.
From the home page, click on Forum, then pick a forum. When you click on that forum there will be sticky threads at the top. Below the stickies are 'normal' threads.

Arachno Dano

Arachnosquire
I don't know the proper techno-speak... Stickies are threads at the top of each forum that have 'permanent' status.
From the home page, click on Forum, then pick a forum. When you click on that forum there will be sticky threads at the top. Below the stickies are 'normal' threads.
Awesome! Thank you! I have read/skimmed through most of them, but I am checking them out now.

~Dano

James P

Arachnopeon
Well oh my god. Won't this thread make new people feel welcome? :embarrassed:
And also anyone that does not have the latest discovered tarantula from the recent expedition to deepest darkest Peru but are stuck with last years "uninteresting" model is sure to be happy.
Common sense varies from person to person from subject to subject.
I know scientists who are the top in their field lacking common sense for some pretty basic things.
So remember what you view as common sense will not be what everyone views as common sense.
The person who started this post is lucky because they have knowledge and experience in this field of tarantulas and of this forum.
The person who is new to the hobby and new to the forum does not. Never forget where you started.
The idea of the forum is to help promote the hobby and pass on information.
As a person who is new to this forum I feel I am able to speak up on behalf of the "newbies".
When you start forums can be tricky places, more so if you have just got a spider from a LPS (Local Pet Shop), they don't give you much info, you do a google search and get confusing info and your G Rosea (Chile Rose/Rose Hair/Cool Hairy Spider) is still not eating (and it is now day 2 when your cat eats every day so some something must be wrong) and your TKG (Tarantula Keeping Book by the Schultz's but other books are available) tarantula book from amazon has not arrived yet, you think I know, forums have experienced people there. So you join up, look at the various places you can post, get confused so you post it where you think it might go. Then you get someone telling you you have posted it in the wrong section, read the stickies (which you have no idea what they are) and various other people jumping on you for using the wrong font, not using the correct name or not posting a picture when all you want know is why spidey is not eating, what you are doing wrong and will he die.
So please the next time you see something posted in the wrong section or a basic question just have a little patience and if you do have a spare 5 minutes then answer the question, it won't kill you. But if of course you do have a full time job and other things to do and cannot spend the 5 minutes it takes to reply then simply don't. Somebody else who has the time will. It is your choice if you choose to reply to a thread so if you don't want to then don't. But don't do it 45 times and then moan each time you have had to do it because it is always your choice to reply and no-one forces you to. And instead of finding fault with what people are doing or picking, use positive comments. Just stop and think, would I speak like to my mum? If the answer is no then don't post it. Because that is why some people are put off from forums and possible the hobby and we should all do our bit to promote the hobby with new people. And on the last note, anybody who finds certain tarantulas "uninteresting" be it G Rosea (Chile Rose) or be it the elusive CS (Chicken Spider) well I probably should not write the rest or my first post will be my last ha ha.
Apologies if I have posted this wrong but I am sure someone will tell me shortly. :alien:

Jeff Proxy

Arachnopeon
not for me!

I took the time to sign up for the forums, read though a few topics, posted a few probing topics, and concluded;

there's really no info on the site that's worth dealing with condescending jerks to get. [sorry if any of the topics posted were sooo far beneath you] lol

there's really no community of enthusiasts here, its more like jerks who just pick each other apart. [sorry for you if you don't get that people want to just show, and tell, and obsess about their PET on a PETS forum]

Thus this site goes in the junk drawer of "maybe useful.... someday" bookmarks.

Would I recommend this site?
No.

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
. . . Just stop and think, would I speak like to my mum? If the answer is no then don't post it. . . .
I see your point. But I have to point out that here, you make some assumptions about how people may or may not speak to their mothers that may be unwarranted. ;)

Not to argue, but as a counter-point, sometimes people do need to be told to stop being lazy and do the work for themselves. It's not at all unreasonable to do that with habitual offenders, especially if what they partly want is community membership.

Like I said, I don't think this is the friendliest community. But it was here before I came, and if I want community membership, I will have to play by this community's rules to get it. If I want one where everyone supports my every conversational whim . . . well . . . I'm going to have to find a different community, because that's not how this one operates.

To me it's sort of like walking into a room full of strangers at a party that's already in full swing. Do you barge into the room and suddenly start asking questions loudly, or do you watch for a bit, listen for a bit, and then add things when you have something meaningful to add?

I don't think anyone is criticizing (or does criticize) people who are really worried about their new spiders.

They do criticize people for not researching their spiders ahead of time, and I don't see a darn thing wrong with that. When you're buying a WC animal that has been removed from its habitat for your own personal viewing pleasure (or even a CB specimen that has been created just for your viewing pleasure), I believe some responsibility comes along with that. And if you weren't responsible beforehand, you deserve a smack on the wrist along with the help that this community can give to get you up to where you should be in your knowledge.

For the record, if my mom has done something really ill-advised and irresponsible and it may endanger the welfare of an animal (and she does), I make no bones about telling her off about it in addition to telling her what she should be changing to ensure the health of the animal. No bones at all.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've been here two years and have had no problem. Yeah, I've had some disputes with some people, but it doesn't bother me. It doesnt matter. And I started out here asking some pretty redundant questions, but I didn't start crying or going off on people just because I got the answer "use the search function". The only people I see complaining are all the new users who aren't used to the forum. If you stuck around long enough and grew some thicker skin, you'd see this is a community of enthusiasts. If you're gonna whine about being told to use the search function then go somewhere else. Boohoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.