[Inquiry] Too Good To Be True?

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:? I am relatively new to the T World compared to most of the people that frequent these board sites, so I would like to defer to the experienced on a matter that has recently been brought to light. Some of the species that I am looking for are quite uncommon and or quite expensive in the States, so in order to find some of the rarer species, I have placed ads on International message boards as well as Domestic ones.
niba roland ngwa,
bamenda-cameroon. this is one of the people who has replied to me and he seems to be most eager to have someone who is willing to buy in bulk. He claims to have all of the juveniles that I am looking for and at prices that are so good I would buy a ton of them at a time. I realize that in other countries, some of these spiders that I am looking for are not considered uncommon at all, but the list that he sent back with the prices raised some alarm bells. I know that if I send someone several hundred dollars, I want to make sure I get what Im buying!!
So, if anyone has dealt with this person, or can offer some insite, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks a bunch everyone!!

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I did this with Goliath Beetles a while back. Research the person. There are tons of places with international reviews for beetles and other inverts, I am sure there are reviews about int T dealers. **Ask him for references, too.** When I ask and they refuse to give any references or deflect the request, I pass them by. You CAN get excellent deals for the reasons you mentioned above and sometimes you can get into a really good relationship with your own private "catcher/seller" but be wary. It's nearly impossible to get money back on a bad international deal. The person should be pretty knowledgeable about int. shipping and guarantees. If they aren't, they have no intention of shipping anything to you.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
C.O.D. or try a small <$100 order on the rarest and see if they are what is offered. Sounds fishy to me as well, but you can't tell UNLESS you can get the person to give references and verify them yourself, someone selling large quantities should have them (failure to is a BIG signal).
Rev

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Often, the inflated prices we pay for some species comes from shipping costs as well as costs of various import permits and customs fees. If he ships, it could be seized by customs or the USFWS. Even if he's legit and nothing is protected and the country of origin allows exports, various US agencies likley require certain permits etc which can become very expensive. This could be a potential snag. If the feds suspect you're importing them for resale (which they will if it's large) Uncle Sam will definately demand his cut!

Wade

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got an email from this guy today too.

I dont believe it. He was trying to sell me 50 B. dubia for $200 :rolleyes: (He says they are all over the place there, and B. dubia dont live in Africa...)

--------------

Quote....

"i have them much in my village sorrounding and they are more harm than good to me."

----

So either he is selling misidentified Ts, inverts, etc. Or is just another international scammer.

Dont risk your money. You also risk things like customs, etc.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Your friendly neighborhood moderator

I realise everyone in this thread is just trying to be helpful but please try to stick to personal experiences with the seller being asked about.

sansoucie

Arachnolord
Old Timer
< say what you want in the WH regarding my rants but do NOT mock the mods when they're doing their jobs - CM >

"Wanted: BEWARE
lee horton <Send E-Mail> -- Friday, 21 May 2004, at 4:30 p.m.

DO NOT DEAL WITH ANYONE UNDER THE NAME OF DR OR MR NIBA ROLAND NGWA FROM CAMAROON AS HE IS A CON ARTIST AND WILL OFFER YOU REPTILES AT LOW PRICES THROUGH WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER SEVERAL PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY BEEN HAD BY THIS MAN SO HEEP YOUR EYES PEELED "

http://www.cviewmedia.com/cgi-bin/Items_config.pl?noframes;read=2097

Last edited by a moderator:

Ker

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks To All

Thanks to everyone who answered.. I opted not to deal with this person after he started emailing me thirty times a day demanding that I send him money because he already had the spiders I was looking for packed up and ready to send.