Too bright??

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
DSC_0563.JPG 50 watt white hallogen bulb on a C. Sculpturatus tank. Is this how bright this is supposed to be?

Gnarled Gnome

Arachnoknight
C. Sculpturatus hide during the day, so I dont think brightness is an issue. Be careful with spiny cacti though. Scorpions are armored, but they do have soft parts. If they are live plants, then the light would be however bright they need.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
View attachment 310384 50 watt white hallogen bulb on a C. Sculpturatus tank. Is this how bright this is supposed to be?
Not a problem, as said scorpions hide during the day and the sun overhead is pretty bright in the wild. Try and have the hide entrance at 90° to the brightest part of the light beam, so the scorpion is warm but away from the bright light. If the cactus is fake fine, if it is real best to remove it. There are plenty of lovely cactus species available without nasty spines.

Should be fine, but I would advise removing the Mammilaria cactus in the back. The spines on those are awful. I would be paranoid about them lodging under the exoskeleton of the Scorp.

Very nice enclosure tho!

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
Be careful with spiny cacti though. Scorpions are armored, but they do have soft parts. If they are live plants, then the light would be however bright they need.
If the cactus is fake fine, if it is real best to remove it. There are plenty of lovely cactus species available without nasty spines.
Should be fine, but I would advise removing the Mammilaria cactus in the back. The spines on those are awful. I would be paranoid about them lodging under the exoskeleton of the Scorp.

Very nice enclosure tho!
They have been living with the cactus for almost two years now without problems, but it's dying anyway so I'm just trying to figure out how to remove it without it mixing potting soil into my sand, disturbing my sculpies, and stabbing my hand.

They have been living with the cactus for almost two years now without problems, but it's dying anyway so I'm just trying to figure out how to remove it without it mixing potting soil into my sand, disturbing my sculpies, and stabbing my hand.
Easiest way to remove a cactus is with a thick loop of newspaper around the "waist" of the cactus. I would do so sooner than later as a rotting cactus will cause excess moisture and all other manor of nasties in your enclosure.