Tonkinbolus caudulanus Millipede Spots

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
I saw my millipedes out two nights ago and I noticed one has black spots on its head. I'm sure I would have noticed this marking before and I have no idea what it is or means. Does anyone have this species and see a black spotting pattern?

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When you say Tonkinbolus caudulanus do you mean Apeuthes sp.? Do you have a picture?

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
The Thai Rainbows, blue and red/orange striped ones that about only about 5-6 inches. I didn't catch a picture, and I don't see them out too often. They are dark black polka dots on the head region only. It was pretty bizarre to me.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The Thai Rainbows, blue and red/orange striped ones that about only about 5-6 inches. I didn't catch a picture, and I don't see them out too often. They are dark black polka dots on the head region only. It was pretty bizarre to me.
Yes, those sound like Apeuthes sp. sometimes mislabeled as Tonkinbolus caudulanus. Their eyes are black but I know you are not talking about the eyes. I have not seen dark black polka dots on the head region of mine. I hope the little guy gets better. How many do you have and where did you get them at? I am just speculating but it could be a fungal infection.

This thread may help.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?231285-Millipede-fungus-cure&highlight=gigas+fungal

Last edited:

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
So far I only saw one like this. I have two adults and a pedeling. I got them from Millipedes and More. I appreciate your responses.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
The black spots are scars, happens sometimes with Apeuthes in communal caging, probably gets a little nicked up during molting. As long as the animal is otherwise healthy it will live a full life.

MelissaDBrown

Arachnosquire
Thank you so much! It seems to be doing fine and living a healthy, happy life. I didn't think it was life threatening but worthy of me asking for my own knowledge.