Tokay geckos.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Do any of you have tokay's, and have you trained them or at least calmed them? I really want one as a taming project to see if I could tame a monitor lizard or any lizard in that genre.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Do any of you have tokay's, and have you trained them or at least calmed them? I really want one as a taming project to see if I could tame a monitor lizard or any lizard in that genre.
Taming a Tokay isn't the same as taming a monitor.

I have a Tokay and he's his natural best. Hates me. I don't interact with him to stress him out though.

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know someone who did on a different forum. She used pipe cleaners to make Tokay muzzles. And nope, not kidding.

I personally would buy a CB one and work with it from when it was a baby. That is the best way to go about it. Pangea Reptile breeds CB ones.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Gotta agree with @basin79 Tokays and any species of monitor are, no pun intended, different animals. If you really want a monitor, I say research they species until you find the one you really like. Then research that one and ask around expos and such if anybody has tips for owning and taming.
However, Tokays are an amazing animal, full of personality.

TylerFishman5675

Arachnosquire
I'd stick with leopard geckos, tokays are just nasty by nature, and really want nothing to do with people, tgey are very interesting and pretty animals though

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Gotta agree with @basin79 Tokays and any species of monitor are, no pun intended, different animals. If you really want a monitor, I say research they species until you find the one you really like. Then research that one and ask around expos and such if anybody has tips for owning and taming.
However, Tokays are an amazing animal, full of personality.
I've researched almost every type of monitor lizard kept in captivity for about the past year and a half. I know all the aggression and defense traits and taming and all that stuff.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I've researched almost every type of monitor lizard kept in captivity for about the past year and a half. I know all the aggression and defense traits and taming and all that stuff.
That's great! So I think I misunderstood the OP then... I thought you wanted to test out taming a monitor by taming a Tokay. Not sure how that'd help but oh well.
Since you've done so much research you should just go for a CB monitor then, probably anything under a year. Honestly idk a ton about monitors, only allowed Ackies here without special permits so there hasn't been a rush to learn more.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
That's great! So I think I misunderstood the OP then... I thought you wanted to test out taming a monitor by taming a Tokay. Not sure how that'd help but oh well.
Since you've done so much research you should just go for a CB monitor then, probably anything under a year. Honestly idk a ton about monitors, only allowed Ackies here without special permits so there hasn't been a rush to learn more.
Yeah my monitor plans fell through the roof when i got a kitten :(. (I wish and suffer every day because of that.) But she's cute I GUESSSS ;). I might get one but not anytime soon. (as im a sophomore and I dont have a job. And maybe because they're expensive and large :).)

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Tokays aren't nasty. They don't look for trouble.
You haven't seen the tokay's in chicago have you? They're like ninja turtles but bad. They raise the crime rate every day by biting their owners who left them because they "were mean" "not cute". They're sick of it and they will have their revenge.