1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Review & Report forums are closed to new posts. Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reviews. If you do not see a review item for a seller, please contact them and request they create their own review item. If you would like to leave a breeding/bite/sting report, please contact an administrator with the species name that you would like to report and what type of report you would like to leave. We will create an item for you. The Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings forum is still open for new posts.
    Dismiss Notice

Todd Gearheart's Tarantulaspiders.com (www.tarantulaspiders.com)

Discussion in 'Online Dealer Reviews' started by Jeff, Jul 18, 2002.

1. jbelcher

jbelcher Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Awesome

:biggrin: Just got my 6 Hogna carolinensis (Carolina Wolf Spider) from Todd. FANTASTIC SHAPE! It was under 30 degrees and the packing was superb, very active and ready to eat. 4 out 4 stars!

2. Solucki

Solucki Arachnoknight

Positive.
    Just received 2 healthy a. avics for some scorps. Packing was excellent. Great communication. Pleasure doing business with.
    Thanks again, Todd

3. Positive/Nuetral

I ordered a couple H. Carolinensis. They arrived in A+ packing. One spider was beginning to curl up, which is disappointing. The others however, were in a great condition! Todd stayed in contact and was very knowledgable about the spiders. They were also properly sexed. Thanks! Overall satisfaction, B.

4. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight Classifieds User

Just received my second order from Todd and am now the happy owner of three T. Stirmi's an E. murinus and an A. metallica. There were some delays in my shipping due to unforseeable circumstances and Todd went out of his way to make sure I was satisfied with my order. The stock was packaged with care as always, heat pack still warm and everyone in perfect condition. Thanks Todd, always a pleasure doing business with a pro !

5. PsychedelicTs

PsychedelicTs Arachnosquire

100% Positive!

I recently ordered a T. stirmi, 2 Halloween Crabs, and a Red Trapdoor Spider from Todd. Todd went out of his way to make sure I was happy. Even though his family had a sad loss during the time of my order, he kept in touch and kept me up to date about the status of my order and when it would be shipped. (so sorry about your loss brother, and much love sent to your family) His packing was excellent and my animals all arrived healthy and exactly as described. I hope to do more business with him in the future.

6. Gaherp

Gaherp Arachnosquire Classifieds User

Just completed a trade with Todd. I sent him a lot of P. Irminia slings, and in trade received a few good sized L. Violaceopes. Communication was great, and received them in tip top shape. One was even molting right in the container(Todd labeled them "Molting Soon" so no worries). Would not hesitate to do business again.
    Michael

7. henri 82

henri 82 Arachnopeon

hes doing the same thing to me right now. i orderd a 265 dollar singapore blue female and he never shipped it. now he is trying to send me a bunch of junk spiders at 40% off he is a scammer. he asked me to use pay pal under personal transaction because it saved him some money through pay pal turns out if u do that u cant dispute the transaction. SCAMMER!!

8. xenesthis

xenesthis Arachnobaron Old Timer

Difficult buyer: Henri Michael / Hank Stanger/ Henrii Hohenstein

Customer wanted to add A. metallica to his order. I awaited his additional pyt. for the A. metallica or at least confirmation of what we wanted prior to shipping his singapore blue adult female. He never communicates about the A. metallica add on and then flips out about why I didn't ship the singapore blue. (Ah, I was waiting for his A. metallica communication or pyt. because that is what he left me a msg. that he wanted to add.)Then, he says he would take select male species of items he is looking for and some select arboreal stock. I made him a nice discount of 40% some stock and also told him that I would be cherry-picking through a new shipment of H. lividum this Thur./Fri. to select him a nice mature male. He didn't say o.k. or no, but just goes here to post a negative review. A refund posted to his girlfriend's paypal acct. just a few min. ago. I think this buyer is difficult to work with. Also, buyer goes by three different names/aliases. Most know what it means when a person uses many different aliases/names.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  9. Cowin8579

Cowin8579 Arachnoknight

I made a deposit with Todd over three years ago for Tityus obscurus. It never came in, and over time waited for more rare scorpions to potentially come in. There was a period of time where I stopped contacting Todd. Two months ago, Todd paid back 100$ of the 250 dollar deposit. A month or so ago, I emailed Todd and mentioned to him that I was going to be teaching several science camps, and this could be a way to take care of the credit. Over three weeks, Todd sent two shipments of a reasonable variety of animals that certainly helped with the education programs. Todd was busy throughout this time for a variety of reasons, and that was understandable.

For the 150$ credit, Todd sent 27 cellar spiders, 1 Florida huntsman, 1 unique orb weaver, 1 flat rock, and 1 house spider. This shipment was sent over night, and I believe something happened to the package that killed 80-90% of the animals. Some lasted one day after they were unpacked. The second package contained 3 adult emperors, 1 Avic avic, 3 curly haired Brachys (early instar, and a desert hairy. All survived and are healthy.

I haven't heart from Todd since then, so I assume this ends our transaction.

• Like Like x 1
  10. High Lord Dee

High Lord Dee Arachnosquire

I just completed a custom order with Todd. Completed the entire transaction within three weeks which is exactly the timeline he gave me when I placed the order.

I received three species of FC True Spiders that I have been seeking and could not find anywhere else. The spiders arrived packed, as always, very professionally and labeled for easy identification. Excellent transaction.

<edit>

HLD

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2014
  11. LD404

LD404 Arachnopeon

Order Review

Customer Review:
    Ratings: A = Excellent, B = Good, C = Average/could use some improvements, D = needs many improvements, F = terrible

Date of receiving your order: 2 May 2014

First name: Mara

State: CA

Country (if outside the U.S.) :

Type of products purchased (animals, publications or dry goods or mix) : house geckos

For an animal purchase was the stock field-collected (FC), captive-born/raised (CB), or wild-caught imports (WC) or a mix of one of more of these categories (MX) ? FC

Web Site Navigation : B

Variety of products and services : A

Pre-sale Customer Service : A

Knowledge of products or services : A

Quality of animals and/or dry goods : A

For animal purchases, were the correct life stage/size ordered shipped? (Yes, no): Yes

If applicable, were the animals sold with the correct identification? (Yes, no, or n/a): N/A

If applicable, were the animals sold with the correct sexing? (Yes, no, or n/a): N/A

Packing quality of products : A

Post-sale Customer Service : A

Overall satisfaction with our business : A

Would you recommend Tarantulaspiders.com to others? (Yes, no): Yes

Comments : Todd was excellent, following up on the order and calling me when USPS got delayed. I would purchase again very happily!

12. Chilopoda704

Chilopoda704 Arachnopeon

Ohio
    Type of products purchased (animals, publications or dry goods or mix) : centipedes
    For an animal purchase was the stock field-collected (FC), captive-born/raised (CB), or wild-caught imports (WC) or a mix of one of more of these categories (MX) ? MX

Web Site Navigation : A
    Variety of products and services : A
    Pre-sale Customer Service : A
    Knowledge of products or services : A
    Quality of animals and/or dry goods : A
    For animal purchases, were the correct life stage/size ordered shipped? (Yes, no): YES
    If applicable, were the animals sold with the correct identification? (Yes, no, or n/a):YES
    If applicable, were the animals sold with the correct sexing? (Yes, no, or n/a): N/A
    Packing quality of products : A
    Post-sale Customer Service : A
    Overall satisfaction with our business : A
    Would you recommend Tarantulaspiders.com to others? (Yes, no): YES
    Comments : very happy with my order of centipedes. Todd did a fantastic job with communication and shipping. All animals arrived in perfect condition and as advertised. Am definitely going to be purchasing from Todd again.

13. Scorpendra

Scorpendra Arachnoprince Old Timer

I ordered some pedes from him in April. Communication was great, he even suggested livestock to me when something in my initial order was out of stock. My animals arrived on schedule and were in excellent condition. I'm impressed with the unique species he gets in stock, I would buy from him again.

14. Date of receiving your order:

First name:
    State: Massachusetts
    Country (if outside the U.S.) :
    Type of products purchased (animals, publications or dry goods or mix) : animals
    For an animal purchase was the stock field-collected (FC), captive-born/raised (CB), or wild-caught imports (WC) or a mix of one of more of these categories (MX) ? WC

Web Site Navigation : works
    Variety of products and services : extensive
    Pre-sale Customer Service : great
    Knowledge of products or services : second to none I know of in North America
    Quality of animals and/or dry goods : excellent
    For animal purchases, were the correct life stage/size ordered shipped? (Yes, no): yes
    If applicable, were the animals sold with the correct identification? (Yes, no, or n/a): yes
    If applicable, were the animals sold with the correct sexing? (Yes, no, or n/a): yes
    Packing quality of products : good
    Post-sale Customer Service : very good
    Overall satisfaction with our business : delighted
    Would you recommend Tarantulaspiders.com to others? (Yes, no): yes

Comments : Comments : Serious breeders quickly learn there is a difference between (i) breeding "labels" put on by the average hobbyist and (ii) breeding species, the genetic line derived from the type locality and as best as one can determine, the species originally described when first named. With 35+ years of experience, Todd is one of the few dealers in North America who can get me to breeding type (ii) above. A year ago, when trying to find A. urticans in the US, one hobbyist sent me what is undoubtedly A. purpurea. Another sent me something unidentifiable. Although one of my sources is the EU, the best source is the type locality. I saw Todd's online photos, asked him for a female A. urticans, and yesterday unpacked a beautiful, WC, adult female that looks like she ought, and in perfect condition to boot. I had commented on a curious change in color in A. urticans since it's discovery in the 1990s. Todd explained A. urticans did originally have a more greenish color in the 1990s, and now, probably because of geographical collection differences, appear somewhat purple-green in certain molt stages. Who else in North America but someone in Todd's position could verify and help explain a change taking place over 15 years?

Just before sending out my package, Todd notified me of CITES certified B. albopilosum, Honduras, that had just arrived in his shop. I accepted the offer and when I unpacked the specimen, was astounded. It is the most beautiful Brachypelma albopilosum I have ever seen and as soon as this review is over, she is going for a photo session. I never thought I'd be saying what I just did about a B. albopilosum. But there it is. I'm tempted to buy the rest up, and just might.

I will be returning for future business with Todd. He is an invaluable asset to the hobby.
    Steven (Arachnoiden.com)

15. MrDeranged

MrDeranged He Who Rules Staff Member

Tarantulaspiders.com's new reviews can be found here.